> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Mhskeide's Thread, for Gab's Army
mhskeide
Feb 12 2018, 02:37 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 11 2018, 09:00 PM) *
Great!! I've just commented there, let me know your thoughts!

Great list of comments. I will for sure keep working on the lesson, and maybe do a new REC, as it is a very enjoyable lesson! But I kinda rushed this one prior to being perfect, since I was slightly desperate to start posting again.

Some short comments on your comments (meta-comments? biggrin.gif ):

My guitar has a pretty sweet setup at the moment, so I fear the pitch issues you hear are all caused by too much pressure from me side. This is just something that I need to continue working on and prioritise *a lot* in the time ahead. Ain`t no use in shredding and playing fast, if crappy vibrato and pitch ruins everything smile.gif
The out-of-pitch vibrato is also a consequence of me being out of practice, due to only having hardtail guitars the last years, so hopefully that will return naturally.

Otherwise for the coming week:
I have entered yet another practice-inefficient week, since I`ll be out travelling without guitar Thursday - Sunday. In the days available, I plan to continue working on my AP as well as two different lessons (one for technique, one for feeling/vibrato).

I will probably bring my computer for my travel, so I`ll try to make up some thoughts regarding my own improvisation-skills and knowledge, and write a post about that. I have *a lot* of things I want to learn, but after this post you might be in a better position to help me figure out where to start smile.gif

How do you think it sounds for this week?

And totally of-topic, and maybe not of my concern... but GMC is going at a stable course right? I just noticed that the founder himself, Kristoffer, commented on my REC. I thought this was pretty awesome, since it is a first for me, but at the same time it made me wonder if GMC is short on manpower? Its been a while since I posted a REC, so for all I know he has just began commenting more smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2018, 03:23 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

I think that it's essential to focus on those pitch issues on both vibrato and regular phrasing so dedicating some time of your diary practice to it is a good move. I also think that some AP is always important as well. Be sure to organize what you'll practice in order to now waste time trying to choose what to play when the practice session starts.

About Improvisation, I would like to read your thoughts about your current knowledge and status. I find this article very inspiring: LINK.

Nice to know that Kris has commented your REC take as well! He has been much more active at the forum in the last years and that's a very positive thing for the community. By the way you can know more about what has been on his mind recently by getting into this thread: LINK

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 14 2018, 08:34 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Feb 12 2018, 02:37 PM) *
And totally of-topic, and maybe not of my concern... but GMC is going at a stable course right? I just noticed that the founder himself, Kristoffer, commented on my REC. I thought this was pretty awesome, since it is a first for me, but at the same time it made me wonder if GMC is short on manpower? Its been a while since I posted a REC, so for all I know he has just began commenting more smile.gif

From what I can tell we seem to have the right about of man- and shredpower! cool.gif My goal is to be as active as when I started the site. I am very proud you feel this way about my input by the way. Keep up the hard work - you did well in your recent REC take!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 14 2018, 09:24 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Thanks for great replies guys!

I`ll read the improv-article tomorrow while travelling, and post my thoughts shortly after.

For the technical lessons: I am now trying to focus on one specific exercise for the different areas of playing, instead of just jumping between different AP lessons when one of them gets too hard. I can already reap the benefits of this, as I feel a big improvement just the last few weeks smile.gif

Otherwise, for soloing, I will try to make a new REC for this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dynamics-Control/. I already have a failed take, and I really like this solo, so I will try again. It will, for good or better, be a another great challenge for both vibrato and pitch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Everything sounds perfect. Please keep me updated, and enjoy your journey.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 27 2018, 09:50 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi! Slightly delayed with the weekly update (again, mostly for my self but I`ll try to keep consistent), but short summary:

As you know, busy week with travelling, and so is this. In general, February has been chaotic, even though much of the "busy time" is me just doing fun stuff. For instance, I`m going to see Steven Wilson with a friend tonight, and I`ll be flying to London on friday to see a 60s rock n roll-ish guy called JD McPherson, so I should be even more inspired in March!

I managed to do a recording for REC on Sunday, but I need to edit some weird sync-issues before uploading. And hopefully it is good enough to upload... smile.gif

Things I want to focus on for March:
Technique-wise:
* Vibrato! This will be a topic for the entire 2018 I think.
* I have for the first time in years noticed a significant improvement in my AP after proper practising, so I will continue this.
* Learn solos and licks! I could need improvement both in legato and sweeping, but I think learning solos will be great at this point, for training my ear, vocabulary and keeping the fun up! And then I`ll eventually see which techniques needs more focus.

Improv:
* I have yet to figure out everything which I do and do not know, but one thing I have recently watched lessons on, is to pay attention to the chords upon which I am playing, and the correlation between landing notes. It is a pretty huge topic, so this might be going on for a while...

Song-writing:
I will attack this from two angles, based on recent influences:
* Just record every jam-session at home while playing, and see whenever cool riffs appear! I have a pretty quick setup to record now, which will help with this.
* Write more songs on bass/with bass-notes on guitar. I hope this will help me be more creative with melody-lines for my lyrics, and when both bass and melody are in place, _then_ I could focus on more cool chords and playing styles.

Also, I am trying out two new band constellations the next weeks, so I might be joining a band soon, which would be especially motivating for the songwriting! Finally: I`ll try to upload this weekends REC tomorrow at latest, and do a new rec within next weekend. I`ll post which one later.

Once again, I say summary but write a wall of text biggrin.gif
Any feedback or advice regarding this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 28 2018, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to hear from you.

All this sounds promising!! I think that each of the things that you've listed here are very important for your musicianship. It's also true that there is a lot of stuff to work on based on these goals, but if you are organized, you'll be able to cover and connect all this stuff since everything is related.

Regarding the improvisation thing, that's the cooler thing you can do to improve your skills. Check out this video:

I'd like to help you with your journey so feel free to share here all your questions, and videos so I'll be able to monitor your practice and give feedback.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 1 2018, 04:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Aah, the great Rick Graham! Thanks for the advice! Will check out as soon as I return to Norway after the weekend. No trips or weekend plans for March luckily, except around easter smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2018, 04:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 1 2018, 12:29 PM) *
Aah, the great Rick Graham! Thanks for the advice! Will check out as soon as I return to Norway after the weekend. No trips or weekend plans for March luckily, except around easter smile.gif

Ok! Enjoy!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 4 2018, 09:06 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi,

I was about to upload my REC for this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweep-...-7th-Arpeggios/

But I thought something sounded weird, so I compared with the original. And it seems like the original is in 120 bpm, but the highest tempo for the downloadable backing tracks are 90 bpm (making my REC wrong, kinda). Could you confirm? There is a slight possibilty that my sound card is making something funny, but I`m not able to figure out now..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2018, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

yes, you're right the original lesson is faster than the backing. Are you able to fix this and convert the backing to the right tempo? If not, I'll do it for you.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 6 2018, 08:26 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I was able to fix it myself, but I`ll probably need another day or two to rehearse the new tempo tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 6 2018, 05:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 6 2018, 04:26 AM) *
I was able to fix it myself, but I`ll probably need another day or two to rehearse the new tempo tongue.gif

hehe ok!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 11 2018, 10:41 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
One month after yet again returning to GMC, it would seem that posting something every 10 days was harder than I thought. But I`ll consider it something to strive after throughout the spring! Here is at least something for this week:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0
Turned out to be a lot harder at the actual original speed laugh.gif

These days, I feel like I avoid digging in to my actual issues (vibrato, improv, songwriting) and instead just practise simpler technique exercises which really doesn`t add much to my "musicality". Have you had similar periods? If so, how did you break this pattern?

And another quick question related to my last to REC takes: Which do you prefer video quality wise?

I borrowed my friends EOS camera for tonight`s video, while I used my phone for the previous one. I`m not gonna put too much effort in the video editing (except from trying to shoot with day light), but if a proper cam helped, I could try borrowing it more often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2018, 01:58 AM
Instructor
Hi mate!

Thanks for the REC link. I think that your take is good. I note that you are still not 100% comfortable with the new tempo, but it's just a matter of time. Both hands are doing the job well, your technique is effective and precise, you just need more days to get used to this tempo. These arpeggios are a killer tool for improvisation so It's not that type of lesson that you master and then forget. If you like to improvise in rock / fusion styles, these arpeggios are the base for many other things. So keep on practicing these ones, and why not, create your own variations and combinations. I'll grade your take there, keep on the good job!

About your practice question. Yes, that happens to me and It's not a problem if it's just a few days. If these keeps happening, I would go for a well organized and written routine that covers some of those important concepts that you want to cover, and start your routine with them. Dedicate at least 5/10 minutes to those concepts before moving to some random playing /practice.

Finally, regarding quality, your new REC take is perfect so let me know if this answers your question.

Regards!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 12 2018, 07:44 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Thanks for the reply!
I`ll keep observering how my practice time is spent the next 1-2 weeks, and see if I need to put some more "restrictions" on myself, at least for the busy weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2018, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Good plan. Keep me updated!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 18 2018, 05:49 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
While I prepare my next REC`s and spend time observing said behavious, I`ve encountered a new issue:

My left hand seems to fatigue a lot faster than I thought is used to... in the start (meaning a few months ago, starting to rehearse properly again), I thought it would get better with time, but it still seems to cramp up at the end of a long run. I have particularly noticed this during the alternate picking lessons, which to be fair put a lot of strain on the left hand when playing them over and over...

but the question: Any advice on other exercises/lessons/whatnot to do which could help?

edit: Also, didn`t you share a link to an article or page within GMC about improvisation? I`m looking now but can`t seem to find it anywhere

This post has been edited by mhskeide: Mar 18 2018, 06:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 18 2018, 09:49 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
2.5 posts in a day, phui! If I had has much time as today, everyday to play!

Anyways, I made a second attempt at the first lesson in Ben`s vibrato series:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

This lesson has haunted me to be honest. Even though it is so simple in a way, it has gotten in my head because I`m so aware of my vibrato issues these days biggrin.gif Also, my guitar didn`t offer enough sustain to do it 100% justice, but this was the best I could do today. I have ordered an Amplifire Box, so my tone will improve by miles sometimes in April when it arrives smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 19 2018, 07:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 18 2018, 01:49 PM) *
While I prepare my next REC`s and spend time observing said behavious, I`ve encountered a new issue:

My left hand seems to fatigue a lot faster than I thought is used to... in the start (meaning a few months ago, starting to rehearse properly again), I thought it would get better with time, but it still seems to cramp up at the end of a long run. I have particularly noticed this during the alternate picking lessons, which to be fair put a lot of strain on the left hand when playing them over and over...

but the question: Any advice on other exercises/lessons/whatnot to do which could help?

edit: Also, didn`t you share a link to an article or page within GMC about improvisation? I`m looking now but can`t seem to find it anywhere

Hi mate, left hand training? Sure! Legato! That's the secret. Get into legato practice and you'll be training your left hand. I usually give these ones to my private students: Attached File  Pre_calentamiento_y_Fortificaci__n.pdf ( 118.64K ) Number of downloads: 70

Work on these exercises diary, at least 15/20 minutes and you'll find a big impact after some weeks.

I'll check your REC take. Thanks for the link! That lesson is a wise choice.

Regarding improvisation, I think that you reffer to this: https://www.guitarhabits.com/10-essentials-...-improvisation/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:43 PM