2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tribute Bands Legality
SinoMan
Mar 15 2008, 04:58 PM
GMC:er
Hey.

I've been searching the net for days now and couldn't find what I was looking for so I thought someone at GMC might know.

Basically, when you want to take an existing song and re-record it, you contact the Harry Fox Agency and pay like 9 cents/copy or something.

Now, if you want to someone to perform an existing song in your venue, you need a license from a company like ASCAP/BMI/whatever.

Now, what if you are an artist and want to perform an existing song in a venue that doesn't have an ASCAP/BMI/whatever license? These licences are like $300+ a year MINIMUM, which seems quite a bit for a small cover band to me. But, the Harry Fox license issues only mechanical licenses, which don't seem to apply to live performances.

What the hell is a small cover band that wants to stay legal supposed to do?

Thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SinoMan: Mar 15 2008, 04:59 PM

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 15 2008, 05:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you need the license from the band management when you want to record and publish a cover of their song.. smile.gif
Interesting topic , would love to hear what people got to say.. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 15 2008, 05:39 PM
Singing Instructor
I agree with Bogdan...off course only if you wont to record it and publish...but if you only want to record I do not think that could be any problems...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 15 2008, 05:39 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Mar 15 2008, 05:32 PM) *
I think you need the license from the band management when you want to record and publish a cover of their song.. smile.gif

You don't as long as it's on Harry Fox. And TONS of songs are there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 15 2008, 05:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Mar 15 2008, 05:39 PM) *
You don't as long as it's on Harry Fox. And TONS of songs are there.

I just check it ..Thats a great option wink.gif America has everything sorted out nicely... wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Mar 15 2008, 06:55 PM
Instructor
Usually when you´re performing live, if you charge for that, you also have to pay some local tax (even if it's your own music)....live is hard.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 17 2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
If you want to record a cover with your band you will for sure have to list the original composers and the original publisher. As long as you don't change anything about the song ( music or lyrics) this should be ok, as soon as you want to change anything you will need the permission of the original composers or their publishers.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 17 2008, 10:19 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you perform live and your set includes covers - including samples of other artists' original work - then it has to be covered by a PRS license. Basically ANY work that is not your own material requires the venue to have the correct license. If it doesn't then it is in breach of the relevant legislation (usually the UK Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 or its equivalent). The only exception that I know of - and this is a limited exception - are for places of worship. Even if you are performing your own original material the venue should still be licensed - for your own copyright protection.

A license is required regardless of whether or not you receive ANY money from entrance etc. It is a public performance and as such requires a license.

If the venue isn't licensed then think about whether or not you really want to play there.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 17 2008, 10:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 17 2008, 09:53 PM) *
If you want to record a cover with your band you will for sure have to list the original composers and the original publisher. As long as you don't change anything about the song ( music or lyrics) this should be ok, as soon as you want to change anything you will need the permission of the original composers or their publishers.

hehe, you remind me your version of Surfing USA !!! laugh.gif I love it !!!

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 17 2008, 11:34 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 17 2008, 10:19 PM) *
If you perform live and your set includes covers - including samples of other artists' original work - then it has to be covered by a PRS license. Basically ANY work that is not your own material requires the venue to have the correct license. If it doesn't then it is in breach of the relevant legislation (usually the UK Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 or its equivalent). The only exception that I know of - and this is a limited exception - are for places of worship. Even if you are performing your own original material the venue should still be licensed - for your own copyright protection.

A license is required regardless of whether or not you receive ANY money from entrance etc. It is a public performance and as such requires a license.

If the venue isn't licensed then think about whether or not you really want to play there.

Cheers,
Tony

Good piece of advice, thank you. Is there any way I can _personally_ get a license for, let's say, performing music of Led Zeppelin(just an example) ANYWHERE I like? For a reasonable price of course...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 18 2008, 02:43 PM
Instructor
People, if you knew where we live and what people do .... laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 18 2008, 02:48 PM
Instructor
Stay quiet ...pssst laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 18 2008, 03:28 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Mar 17 2008, 11:34 PM) *
Good piece of advice, thank you. Is there any way I can _personally_ get a license for, let's say, performing music of Led Zeppelin(just an example) ANYWHERE I like? For a reasonable price of course...

I think you'd need to apply to the relevant PRS for the country you're in SinoMan. Sorry I don't know who that might be but your Musicians Union would know - it's possible that Slovakia may be covered by MCPS-PRS but I don't know. I do know that you can get one off and individual licenses though from the PRS.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 18 2008, 07:30 PM
Instructor
Now here comes the real question. Suppose Sinoman plays some covers on stage live and make money from it. Should anybody come to arrest him, or is there some special kind of service that works in those countries that sorts out this business?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 18 2008, 07:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 18 2008, 02:48 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 18 2008, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 18 2008, 07:30 PM) *
Now here comes the real question. Suppose Sinoman plays some covers on stage live and make money from it. Should anybody come to arrest him, or is there some special kind of service that works in those countries that sorts out this business?

Erm. I'm hardly gonna make any money. To play in our local rock/metal pub, you need to pay like $450 for evening. Tickets go for about $3-4. We would need to be damn good to make money out of that...

This post has been edited by SinoMan: Mar 18 2008, 07:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 18 2008, 08:44 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 18 2008, 02:48 PM) *

Hahaha tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Melodic Axeman
Mar 18 2008, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Mar 18 2008, 07:58 PM) *
Erm. I'm hardly gonna make any money. To play in our local rock/metal pub, you need to pay like $450 for evening. Tickets go for about $3-4. We would need to be damn good to make money out of that...

wait. YOU pay to play ?! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 18 2008, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (Melodic Axeman @ Mar 18 2008, 08:50 PM) *
wait. YOU pay to play ?! ohmy.gif

Yep. You can play 365 days in year though. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 19 2008, 09:02 PM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Mar 18 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Yep. You can play 365 days in year though. wink.gif

Wow, and I was feeling myself explored for playing in JAM sessions for free... (not even a beer... tongue.gif )

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:50 AM