My Blackstar Amp, Innovative 5 Watt valve combo
Hajduk
Sep 12 2013, 10:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
I hope this isn't a stupid question but my Blackstar Amp says its 5 watt valve combo but it sounds a hell of a lot louder than 5 watts?? I'm clearly missing something here ohmy.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 12 2013, 10:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
Maybe it was 50 and the '0' got scratched off? laugh.gif

How big is the amp? That should be a good starting point as to telling whether it's actually 5 or actually a lot more smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
korblitz
Sep 12 2013, 11:39 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to the Blackstar community!

Which version of the HT-5 do you? The combo version or the Head version? Regardless of that, those amps sure pack a mean punch.

The biggest error that people make is saying that watts are the same as Decibels, which is wrong. A 50W versus a 100W, only has a 3 db difference (which to the human ear, it's hard to discrimate which is one is which).

The same way people think that a 4x12 is louder than a 1x12. It is not...louder(if you measure with decibels), it just feels louder becuase it moves more air.

The true beauty is that a higher watt amp will yield a higher break-up point (distortion) than those with the lower watts.

You also have to take into account the speakers. There's night and day difference with speakers.

And you also need to take into account, the way it's operating. In case of the Blackstar HT series, it's the push pull class A.

If you are interested and have a couple of bucks, read Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan James.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 12 2013, 12:05 PM
Instructor
Don't be surprised smile.gif I had 6 Watt VHT that could handle live playing with the loud drums wink.gif That's the beauty of the tubes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Sep 12 2013, 07:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (korblitz @ Sep 12 2013, 10:39 AM) *
Welcome to the Blackstar community!

Which version of the HT-5 do you? The combo version or the Head version? Regardless of that, those amps sure pack a mean punch.

The biggest error that people make is saying that watts are the same as Decibels, which is wrong. A 50W versus a 100W, only has a 3 db difference (which to the human ear, it's hard to discrimate which is one is which).

The same way people think that a 4x12 is louder than a 1x12. It is not...louder(if you measure with decibels), it just feels louder becuase it moves more air.

The true beauty is that a higher watt amp will yield a higher break-up point (distortion) than those with the lower watts.

You also have to take into account the speakers. There's night and day difference with speakers.

And you also need to take into account, the way it's operating. In case of the Blackstar HT series, it's the push pull class A.

If you are interested and have a couple of bucks, read Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan James.

Its the HT-5C combo version and it is the push pull class A. The amp is great and really loud. Will look into that book, thank you smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Sep 12 2013, 07:30 PM
GMC:er
I have had both the head and combo 5w. Sold both of them because they are to loud for bedroom level. I would settle for the Blackstar HT1R though that is a decent bedroom amp.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 12 2013, 08:43 PM
Instructor
I had VHT Speciall 6 and it was not possible to get breaking point of the amp before I reach the "breaking point" of my neighbours wink.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Sep 12 2013, 09:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
Had to buy a Sennheiser headset got a noise complaint, haha smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2013, 06:12 PM
Instructor
Sounds like a mean little dude, eh? biggrin.gif I told you - my good friend has one and I was amazed by the tone and sheer power of that little amp smile.gif Out of what I remember, you don't have any neighbor trouble eh?

+Quote Post
Lovtscho
Sep 25 2013, 10:03 PM
GMC:er
I also habe a smaller Blackstar and my neighbors are happy I bought it... NOT!

It feels it is 10dB calmer than my rectifier... Haha

--------------------
Guitars: Fender Telecaster, Fame PRS Style Guitar, Ibanez S-450 (I think)
Bass: Status with graphite neck
Amp: Blackstar 5 Watt, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha THR10x.
Pedals & co: STRYMON TimeLine, EHX Soul Preacher, EHX Tone Tattoo, EHX Holy Grail Plus, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Super Ego, TC Nova System, TC Polytune, TC Dreamscape, Ibanez TS 808, Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7, CIOKS Powerunit, more to come...
Studiotechnique: Steinberg CSX interface, various mics and outboard, including Alan Smart, Audix, Beyerdynamic, CAD, Chandler, Charter Oak, Empirical Labs, Great River Electronics, Kush Audio, Lexicon, Peluso...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:34 PM