> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2017, 04:29 PM
Instructor
Ok mate thanks for notifying! Please keep me updated. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 8 2017, 12:07 PM
GMC:er
Hi news update/
It seems the job is pretty flexiable schedule wise, although it can pretty tough labor wise, for a skinny dude as me.

Guitar wise.

Remember me mentioning these lessons.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chord-...inant-7-Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chord-...inished-Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chord-...jor-7th-Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chord-...Minor-7-Chords/

Well I have memorized the drop 3 and drop 2 inversion of the 7th chords (major/minor/domiant/m7b5) presented on the lessons.
Thing is. If you ask me to play inversion of a X Chord. I can do it, through out the neck.
But it feels like an exercise rather something musical. Even playing some basic diatonic progressions, feels just like practise rather than music.
Sorry if I make myself hard to understand, I can barely understand myself sometimes. tongue.gif
Guess what I want to know, is how would you approach the process of integrate it into your playing. Rather than; Look how many inversion I can do!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 8 2017, 12:09 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2017, 12:55 PM
Instructor
Well, the best that you could do now is to apply this to real music. How? I would start by working with some jazz standards since there you'll find many chords to work on.

Here is a list of songs that you could use to start:

Blue Bossa
Summertime
Milestones

Learn the main melody from them, and the chord progression. Start with root-position shapes to comp. Then comp with drop 2, then with drop 3. Listen! Experiment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 8 2017, 06:19 PM
Blue Bossa

(http://www.swiss-jazz.ch/standards-jazz/BlueBossa.pdf)
3 flatted key = Eb major (Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb)

I actually started to analyze it has a Eb major tonality centered piece. Rookie mistake. tongue.gif

So I went with C Aeolian.
i-Cm7
ii-Dm7b5
III-EbM7
iv-Fm7
v-Gm7
VI-AbM7
VII-Eb7

So you start with Cm7 - Fm7 (I-IV) in the key of C Aeolian.
You can use C Aeolian over Cm7 and F Dorian over the Fm7.

Then you have Dm7b5 followed by G7 followed by a Cm7.
One thing I have learnt watching for is that: m7b5 - Domiant - minor 7 (=) Minor II-V- I

And following the C Aeolian. Dm7b5 is the II Cm7 I.
Gm7 is the V not G7. Which means we are going into the C harmonic minor realm.
I've seen some version which instead of a G7 we have like G7#5#9, and I "know" that we are suppost to use some kind of Altered Scale over it.
Stuff like Modes of Harmonic Minor/Melodic Minor, Altered scale, are still fairly unknown to me. I've heared the terms before and kind have a superficial understanding of it. But is something I still have yet to dwell in.

Regardless, I think over Dm7b5 we could use D locrian.
Over the simple G7, we could some kind of G phrygian dominant? (I am saying this out of intuition, since we have G phrygian out of Eb Major and since G is domiant, it would mean some kinda of Domiant Phrygian thing which I dunno biggrin.gif)

Then you have Ebm7-Ab7-Dbmajor7, well E is minor in Eb but here we have Ebm, so after some research I went looking for the closest Domiant chord Ab7, which is the V in Dmajor and alas II-V-I in Dmajor for a few bars.

Edit: E dorian over Ebm7 A mixolydian over Ab7 and D Ionian over Dbmajor 7

Returning to Minor II-V-I in Cminor
And it ends in a II-V going back to the I Turnaround. (Not sure if I am using the proper terms)

Is this correct? This is kinda the 3rd Jazz starndard i've tried to analyze so far. And yes is quite easy and straight forward but it's a skill that I have yet to build experience and confidence on.

I will jam it for the next few days and upload it, using different drop voicings.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 9 2017, 10:33 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 9 2017, 02:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, everything that you've explained here sounds good to me. When working over II - V - I, there are many possibilities, but the most common is to see everything as a major key when I is maj7, and when it's minor but with the V7, seeing it as a minor key and switching to harmonic minor over the V.

This thread can be a good guide: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51072

as well as this series: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/jazz+notes/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 11 2017, 09:21 PM
Damn so many lessons seems a bit overwhelming, but I wil tackle them slowly! Thx for the suggestions.

I am taking a few days off, my left arm needs some rest.
Accidentally stabbed my left hand palm with some hell sharp knife. The tissue is already scarring and I have full control off my hand. It seems it didn't hit deep enough. Lucky for me.

But the construction work plus I have been practising burst of 6 notes a beat at 140bpm. My whole arm really feels hella sore and a bit of pain. Specially night time, when I am trying to sleep.
Guess I will take this off time to keep studying the Circle of Fifths, been trying to memorize all the keys (sharps and flats) and knowning major and minor triads on the spot. Slowling working and I am getting there.

Will update in a few days.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 11 2017, 09:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 12 2017, 04:41 PM
Instructor
Yeah, that can be a bit overwhelming. I recommend you to create a weekly routine.

You could have 4/5 section for the routine.

- Technique
- Repertoire
- Jazz Basics
- Vocabulary
- Transcription

And base everything on "Repertoire". In other words, you should choose 1 standard and try to apply the other areas to it. During the repertoire section, you could just learn it, learn the chords, learn the melody, play it in different octaves, etc.

In the Jazz Basics, the idea is that you work on chords, scales, arpeggios, so you can work on 1/2 concepts per week. For example, you can work on Drop 2 chords, and arpeggios, and apply it to the standard. In the vocabulary moment, you can work on those elements that are used by jazz masters to sound "jazzy", like approach notes, chromatic notes, walking bass, etc.

Finally during the transcription moment, you could search for great jazz guitarists playing and improvising over the standard that you are working. Learn by ear some parts / licks, write them down and analyse them. Incorporate the ideas into your own phrasing.

Regarding technique, detect your weak points and work on them. Create a exercises library where you can pick some exercises to work on the techniques needed every day.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 13 2017, 02:10 AM
Agreed!

I am actually quite happy with my technical progress since I started to go hardcore sessions back in November.
Right now my guitar practise, techincal wise, consists of:

Warm up:
Some classic chromatics. stretchs, left only hammer-ons. etc.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch-II/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner-Sweep-Picking/

Regular Session:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-6/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-5/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...g_intermediate/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Masters-of-Sweeping/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato-stamina/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Legato-Workshop-1/

Pushing it up:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...t-style-lesson/

I am might not be able to play them all perfectly, but realistic speaking (if I keep the consistency ) I am hoping to do a take on the Muris's Gilbert lesson in a year, year and half.

Thing is tongue.gif More often than not, I start to practise at 10 AM and end up stopping at 16 pm....And i kind call it for the day.
I know..I know its not very efficient. Taking in consideration I am negleting other aspects of my playing.

I will take in consideration the points you suggested:

- Technique
- Repertoire
- Jazz Basics
- Vocabulary
- Transcription

And try and come up with a reasonable well rounded routine.

And I am sorry, I know I don't post much of my actual playing. It's mainly because my PC and my Practise Room are in two different houses actually. I can't have a pc around when i am trying to practise. Trust me, I get easily side tracked and end up doing nothing.

Anyways good news! got a gig for a local cover band. (kinda Deftone, Porcupine Tree, American Football, some portugues songs kind of theme) I don't really mind if we don't get to play live much. I am just excited, because I won't only be playing the guitar but keyboard aswell. Looking foward to fail miserably at rehearsals laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2017, 12:52 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! I can only find great stuff in your post. The current routine looks very promising, and if you adjust it with some of the extra topics that I've suggested it will be really wide and effective. Your plan is more focused on technique stuff, while all the other more theoretical side is very important too so don't miss it.

The cover band sounds also great! What songs are you going to play from those bands? I love many of them. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 16 2017, 04:06 PM
Porcupine Tree The start of something beautiful This one going to be quite the challenge to pull off laugh.gif I will be playing mainly the key on this one.

Deftones - Change

Retrovertigo - Mr. bungle

Jawbox - Savory

Toranja - Laços From our home country, you might understand what he is saying a bit, since both our languages are similar to a degree. Still will have to figure out this by ear.

To name a few.

Out of curiosity, since you well verse in the world of music books. Don't you know any cool one, for piano. I have no problem learning theory since well I can transpose what i've learnt on guitar to the piano. But techincal wise. Meh huh.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 17 2017, 03:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2017, 02:34 PM
Instructor
Awesome songs! I hope to be able to see some vids of you playing it!

I don't have experience with piano books, I've just used some Conservaroty ones when being a student there. However, I think that there must be a lot of stuff. You could search on Muscians Institute catalog, since their books are always really good and friendly.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 20 2017, 04:29 PM
I have the best of luck.. unsure.gif
2 days ago my right hand thumb was on the wrong side of a sledgehammer.

Spoiler:

Didn't break it! But it was hella bruised. And I still can't hold a pick.
Guess I may take another break to recover. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2017, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Oh! I'm sorry about it mate! how much time do you think you need? 1 week?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Mar 14 2017, 07:30 PM
Hi Gab sorry for the lack of updates.
My pc kinda died and I lost everything I had on it.

Anyways, I've been working on the Standards you suggest.
Right now I am trying to memorize the arpeggios and used them on a melodic approach on II-V-I (Minor/Major)

The date of the audition draws near, and I've yet to pick and learn 2 pieces to bring. I can already feel the butterflies in my stomach wacko.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2017, 09:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update. I'm sorry for the PC!

I can get what you feel. Practice, and try to enjoy it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 1 2017, 07:17 PM
Hi Gab. Unfortunaly what started as a flu, it developed into a minor respiratory infection.
Today was the first day, in the past 2 weeks, that i picked up the guitar. Been with fever the whole time and energies hitting low.
I am recovering though.

I also been watching a lot of videos in Jazz theory. And doing diagrams for upper extension of chords (9,11,13..etc) and sus 2/4
Still have to find some strenght in my fingers to practise it though.

I do have a question, will try my best to explain.
Sorry if its too confusing. (I kinda think I know the answer but i am not sure).
How would you imply a Modal mood (like lydian feel, or phrygian feel) but only playing chords or a chord progression. Without really having a lead melody to emphasize the characteristic notes of each mode?

Edit: I been trying to be more mindful while improvising. And practise a bit everyday I'v also bought a Ditto Looper which kinda helps.
More the phrasing rather than fancy runs approach, I am really trying hard to think of what intervals are being played. So I am taking it slow.
Here's a Dminor-Aminor Vamp
What do you think about it?

There is one more thing thats been rumbling in my mind for a while. And would like your thoughts or advice, seeing that you are wayyyyyyy more qualified on this field than me tongue.gif

I am thinking on making some cash with my guitar, meanwhile trying to improve on something I actually enjoy doing. Teaching.
And by cash, i don't mean like your minimum wage. At least not for now.
My main target would be people from the local (Junior/High) school. It has like 500-600 youngsters from 10-20 years old.
I still haven't plan marketing wise and no clue how am I going to attract people.

Another thing that's kind holding me back. Its my own skills. Or rather the confidence in my own skills.
I have a pretty strong grasp in Chords and the mechanics of Alt.Picking (even though i am no Paul Gilbert yet tongue.gif)
For instance I can't really sweep picking that much, even though I can probably teach the basic motions. (Resting Strokes, Muting. etc. etc).
I can probably teach someone, you know, Major Scales modes, Soloing with Arpeggios, Target Notes so on, and so on. Nothing to wow fancy.
I kinda have this idea deep in my mind, that every student will expect me to pull some amazing "Guthrie Govan" for lack of better word on the spot. Which instead they will most likely be receiving some high quality Lil wayne unsure.gif

Sorry for the long post. And thank you for your time .

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 2 2017, 03:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2017, 10:05 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Nice to know that you are better now and back on guitar and other activities.

I was listening to your improvisation while reading your post and it was really enjoyable. It reminded me to some Buckethead music! I think that it's really nice to make music while learning and practicing and that's what you've been doing here. Keep on this direction.

About modal chord progressions, the trick is similar to what you'd do when creating melodies. You need to identify the characteristic note of the mode in the chords, and also the characteristic chords and chord movements, in order to get the feel of the mode. It's not an easy job at first, and a good way to do it is by searching for some modal progressions and analyze them.

There is some material that I'd like to recommend regarding this topic:

and this one:

https://www.facebook.com/voicingmodes/

Finally, regarding teaching, go for it! You are ready to teach a lot of people and you'll get surprised of how much you already know. Create a well organized program with some of the most important concepts and adapt the program to each students tastes and necessities. If there is a student that comes that is at your current level or higher, tell him what you feel and recommend another more advanced teacher.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 3 2017, 02:42 PM
I love Buckethead! In my highschool years my playlist was 60% Buckethead. From his more mellow stuff to the more avant-garde nonsense. biggrin.gif

Stuff like this really speaks to me when it comes to guitar driven music. If I were to improv in the spot in a band environment I would probably sound similar to riffs/melodies/chords of such

And even though I don't listen to his work with the same regularity, I honestly think that my subconscious goes and pick a lot of stuff from is mellow side without me really being aware of.

-

Man I was watching Frank Gambale's video and one thing he said really rang some bells.
I remember when I used to have 1-on-1 lessons (1 year of my playing) and my teacher basically gave me diagrams of various boxes of the major scale and said something between the lines of.
-"This shape is Dorian, This one Lydian." So on, so on. And as I played the shapes down and up the neck without any chord context behind it they all sounded the same to me. Hence I created that "Modes are Hard philosophy".
It literally took me 7 years to finally stop thinking of it as an Hard thing that bites, once I understood a bit more of theory.

Anyways thanks for the video, I will most certainly watching a couple of times and try to get all I can.

-

Regarding the giving lessons idea. Think I am really going foward with it.
My dad is helping with any legal stuff I might need to be aware of. Plus I have a free room in his workshop that I am free to use, which means I won't have to worry with rent or noise complaints. (And if someone want his/her PC fix he gets a few profits, its a win-win tongue.gif)
And a friend of mine who has a lot of gear even offered to lend me a small Vox amp!

So yah gonna get my paycheck from the labor days and print some flyers and spread around town. Also gonna set up a Facebook page and hope I get some calls. I would be happy just getting 1 student. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2017, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Hi mate!

I always enjoy listening to Buckethead's albums. I randomly listen to any of his albums, and I even use to improvise over them.

About the modes thing. Yes, it's much easier to get the feel if you have a chord or root sounding in the backing. However, once you get experience with the modes, you'll be able to get the feel of the modes even by playing a melody along.

I'd like to share another video about modes:

Joe is a killer teacher.

Regarding giving lessons... go for it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 7 2017, 07:27 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 5 2017, 11:16 PM) *
I'd like to share another video about modes:

Joe is a killer teacher.

Awesome lesson. biggrin.gif I really enjoying watching Joe teaching.

I think I have a strong grasp theoretical wise of modes.
I was re-watching Marty Friedman's Melodic Control.
And he said something that really enlightenment me

"The more knowledge that you have, the more control you going to have. Therefore the more aggressive you can play and you can play the notes like you mean it."

I think that's exactly what I need to focus on.
Just looping a few chords, find how the notes react. Internalize their sound and make it my own.
Its probably gonna take a few years. And probably another life time to master it. tongue.gif

But at least I have a concrete path.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 7 2017, 07:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:38 PM