Length Of Lesson..
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2008, 07:21 AM
Instructor
Just wondering if there's any rule on what the max length of a lesson should be? smile.gif
I have tried searching around but didnt find any info..

Is it ok to do a full song (maybe 4-5 minutes) if it's kept interesting throughout the whole video? Or is 30-40 seconds to 1-2 minutes the wanted length?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 07:28 AM
Instructor
I believe 30 secs is minimum.
About maximum,well,it's pretty individual I guess.
Personally I like to keep it up to 1min,seems reasonable to me.
But hey,if you have something cool that lasts 4-5 minutes,a song or som,why not. smile.gif
However it'd be nice to split it in few lessons,like parts.
My opinion. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 18 2008, 08:16 AM
Instructor
I was told that 20 seconds is the absolute minimum. But that was a loong time ago, maybe it's been changed? unsure.gif If you want to do longer than 1 minute, you could split it up into serveral lessons as Muris said. smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2008, 08:23 AM
Instructor
Yes.. splitting it up seems like the best idea smile.gif

For some reason, that thought didnt even cross my mind when i made the topic.. and i've allready seen it been done in various lessons happy.gif
The nightshift is killing my brainpower.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 08:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 18 2008, 08:23 AM) *
The nightshift is killing my brainpower.

Related to Horrors or? wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2008, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 18 2008, 08:28 AM) *
Related to Horrors or? wink.gif

hehe .. Nah, work i'm afraid, or maybe it is .. Since my only task is to sit infront of a pc all night and make sure everything is ok.. i do get the time to watch alot of movies, and cruise the forum smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 18 2008, 08:35 AM

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 08:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 18 2008, 08:35 AM) *
hehe .. Nah, work i'm afraid, or maybe it is .. Since my only task is to sit infront of a pc all night and make sure everything is ok.. i do get the time to watch alot of movies, and cruise the forum smile.gif

I see. smile.gif
What is it that you're working,what kind of job?
Sorry if it's unpolite question,you don't have to answer at all. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 18 2008, 08:45 AM
GMC Founder
This depends on the lesson - we have some "full song lessons" that are ~3-4 minutes and we need more of those!

As for mimum length - if a passage is extremely content rich it can motivate a short lesson. But generally we want the lesson to be at least 45 seconds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 18 2008, 08:45 AM) *
This depends on the lesson - we have some "full song lessons" that are ~3-4 minutes and we need more of those!

As for mimum length - if a passage is extremely content rich it can motivate a short lesson. But generally we want the lesson to be at least 45 seconds.

Yeah,just as I expected,too many speedy notes in few minutes will make a whole mess,
to learn it and practice. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2008, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Thats more than ok question smile.gif

It's a temp-job as nightguard at a local IT-company, boring job.. but need the money to pay off my home-college course. (Electronics)

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 08:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 18 2008, 08:51 AM) *
Thats more than ok question smile.gif

It's a temp-job as nightguard at a local IT-company, boring job.. but need the money to pay off my home-college course. (Electronics)

That's smart thinking Trond,investment in education,thumbs up! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2008, 09:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 18 2008, 08:56 AM) *
That's smart thinking Trond,investment in education,thumbs up! smile.gif

Thats what i thought too (untill i got the bill) smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)

Ok smile.gif

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 11 2008, 03:15 PM
Instructor
yeah, 45 seconds is ok, but for really difficult licks 20 seconds would be enough... I think there was some of this kind of lessons, I remember a Pavel lesson with an imposible sweep arpegios !!!
IMHO 30-75 second is ok.

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 11 2008, 03:56 PM
Instructor
When designing a lesson I try to fit it in approx. one minute, but it varies from 45 seconds to a minuta and a half, IMO it is an optimum lenght of the lesson. smile.gif

But I agree for the extraordinary difficults licks to be shorter, but I am not a fan of very difficult licks, I would rather make an intermediate lesson with one or two advanced licks inside, than to make the full advanced lesson. But it is only my opinion smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Mar 17 2008, 01:31 PM
Instructor
I may give a try to full song lessons, but there´s this thing, in a full song context there are repetitions, and reexpositions so that may be kind of boring to student.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:44 PM