Frustrated With Solos And Scales!
montecristo
Jun 18 2008, 05:00 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, i was hoping for some advice. I am losing motivation and getting frustrated with scales because it seems as though when I play it with most backing tracks, it just doesn't sound right. I am in the right key, but just, it sounds boring and reduntant and unpleasant in my opinion. I am not an experienced guitarist, but was wondering if you got any tips to get me past this road block. I am currently using only the pentatonic scale. Is there anything I should focus on specifically?

Thanks, look forward to your responses!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 18 2008, 05:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well if it doesn't sound right then check your in tune and that the backing is definitely in the same key your playing in. And learning new scales and modes definitely makes playing more fun so try and break out of the pentatonic scale. If you think your playing is boring then just try and think differently and put in slides bends, vibrato or and try out new things. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jun 18 2008, 05:05 PM
Hey Count,

Check out this Paul Gilbert Video - neat little tip on coming up w/ phrases - this might inspire you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ7DtdnjKQc...ted&search=

-Kizaze

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 18 2008, 05:41 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I would suggest that when you are running through the scale, try holding on to a note here and there, also adding some vibrato to spice things up a bit. Accentuate notes harder than others. You would be supprised at how these small things will change the feel of the run.

Try this great lesson from Smells: Phrasing

This post has been edited by skennington: Jun 18 2008, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 18 2008, 06:00 PM
Instructor
Check out my pentatonic series, specially lessons number 2, 3 and 4. You don't have to learn them, just go through them, it will give you some ideas what to practice and spice up your pentatonic playing.

Also I suggest learning major and minor scales, and along hte way modes and chords.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 18 2008, 06:52 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Besides the endless material here at GMC you can also check out this site. There are many avenues to explore generating different patterns, look up in the heading too

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

listening to some blues and jazz can't hurt either. There is a lot of great phrasing in both of these styles that you may not be used to hearing. Good luck I hope you get back some motivation

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: Jun 18 2008, 06:58 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
montecristo
Jun 18 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. Ivan: I have added your lessons on the pentatonic (#4) to my bookmarks.
I appreciate the link Hank, and skennington, kizaze and matt, thanks for your input. I am going to focus on this area, as this is defintately a weakness of mine, I guess its important for me to come up with some basic phrases at this point that sound good. a lot of times i get frustrated because there is so much information, theory and techniques at GMC that I feel overwhelmed and frustrated when listening to everyone who sounds awesome :-) Its good though, you guys have set the bar high. Anyways, talk to you guys soon..
btw, the minor pentatonic is 1, b3, 4, 5, b7... what does the "b" stand for before the 3 and 7?
Thank you!

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 18 2008, 11:55 PM
Another thing that you can do is learn scale fragments. If you've seen John Petrucci's Rock Discipline you know what I'm talking about.

If not, take a small section of a scale (say a triplet pattern) and repeat it over and over. Then, take a second fragment and learn it. After this, combine your two scale fragments together. You're still playing scales, but you're giving it flavour.

There's definitely not a recording of Rock Discipline on YouTube.

I think this may be what you're looking for because it takes the scales you already know and spices them up without having to learn more scales and modes to keep yourself interested.

However, as mentioned above, this is just a non-GMC resource. There have already been a few lesson mentions here but I would also add Muris and Pavel AP lessons to the max as they are using scales in those, as well.

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 19 2008, 12:12 AM
QUOTE (montecristo @ Jun 18 2008, 08:18 PM) *
btw, the minor pentatonic is 1, b3, 4, 5, b7... what does the "b" stand for before the 3 and 7?
Thank you!

The b means that is a minor 3rd and a minor 7th, opposed to major third and major 7ths (which would be shown without the b ).

By the way, about not sounding boring, the most important thing seems to be the choice of the notes. You can sound really cool with a few well chosen ones.
This is one class that I think can help you
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...sciante-lesson/

Also, some really cool solos I know use just arpeggio

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 19 2008, 12:28 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jun 19 2008, 12:21 AM
Get to da Chopper!
You need licks! Aswell as learning the scale, its good to have some memorized licks to use over the backing tracks! You should constantly be creating a "library" of all the licks you like when you find them.

These should get you started:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks1/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-licks2/

However, the blues scale is a pentatonic scale with one extra note added: the blue note or b5. Just a heads up. Dont let the theory bother you if its not sinking in yet- just memorize the scale and learn a few licks. When improvising try humming a tune and trying to create a melody to use with your licks!

Also check out Smells great lessons here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=10953

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=13064

You should be all set to rock now!

+Quote Post
Iron King
Jun 19 2008, 06:09 AM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Jun 18 2008, 12:05 PM) *
Hey Count,

Check out this Paul Gilbert Video - neat little tip on coming up w/ phrases - this might inspire you.

-Kizaze

honestly, I don't really like Paul Gilbert's music, but every time I hear one of his lessons it just blows me away. The guy is so down to earth and really explains things well. Most lessons consist of guys just shredding up and down the neck leaving you confused and even more demoralized. Gilbert makes it interesting and puts it in words I can understand

anyway back to the original topic
if you look at some of the great guitar players, they seem to have certain licks that they like to use. I would suggest sitting down and trying to figure out some of your own, or you can take other people's licks and modify them to start.

also remember that just because you're playing a solo, doesn't mean it has to be epic and super fast. Some of the most effective solos are pretty short. It's all about matching the mood of the song

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jun 19 2008, 12:11 PM
Just check out some of Neil Youngs solos!
Man, one of his best solos ever are the one note solo from Cinnamon Girl. Amazing! laugh.gif

Here is a page of famous one note solos:
One Noters

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Jun 19 2008, 12:12 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 19 2008, 07:49 PM
QUOTE (montecristo @ Jun 18 2008, 06:00 PM) *
Hey guys, i was hoping for some advice. I am losing motivation and getting frustrated with scales because it seems as though when I play it with most backing tracks, it just doesn't sound right. I am in the right key, but just, it sounds boring and reduntant and unpleasant in my opinion. I am not an experienced guitarist, but was wondering if you got any tips to get me past this road block. I am currently using only the pentatonic scale. Is there anything I should focus on specifically?

Thanks, look forward to your responses!

Either not in tune or not in key, becuase I taught my little brother to jam in 2 minutes.

+Quote Post
montecristo
Jun 19 2008, 09:37 PM
thanks everyone for your help... its been very helpful and i look forward to learning some licks and tricks... keep in touch! :-)

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jun 19 2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 18 2008, 02:00 PM) *
Check out my pentatonic series, specially lessons number 2, 3 and 4. You don't have to learn them, just go through them, it will give you some ideas what to practice and spice up your pentatonic playing.

Also I suggest learning major and minor scales, and along hte way modes and chords.

+1 biggrin.gif The Ivan's pentatonic series are so cool!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jun 20 2008, 04:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Those Gilbert videos are very cool! If you want to give your solo a bit more a rhythm feeling, and you don't even have to use very complex pentatonic licks, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCojcP_6AkI

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jun 21 2008, 08:47 AM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Jun 18 2008, 06:05 PM) *
Hey Count,

-Kizaze

This is an interesting way to create a song Paul indicates there. (I see he still didn't get rid of that ugly pink background biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:27 PM