> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Picking Hand Basics, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Adam
Dec 1 2018, 10:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Picking Hand Basics by Ben Higgins

Not a perfect take but I tried my best. Again, I added the backing track via Movie Maker but I hope the sync is alright.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 1 2018, 10:23 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 2 2018, 05:10 PM
GMC Founder
Cool Adam, this is a great lesson that will help you polish their picking basics.

Your left hand looks a bit more relaxed this time - so well done with that.

I would advise you give your right hand the same treatment: At this tempo you should be able to have a relaxed/non-tensed right hand and small right hand movement.

Playing wise you are in sync and locking in to the beat at times - but there are also many places where you loose timing and hand sync. Especially when there is a change of rhythm / pattern.

This is a clear indication that you have practicing this at a tempo that might feel comfortable to you during the easier parts (ie the intro) but which is too fast for you to nail the trickier sections.

I think that you could nail this lesson quite easily if you allowed yourself to play at tempo slow enough for you to relax your hands and prepare your mind for the trickier sections.

You get a 4 from me - I am looking forward to your next take!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 3 2018, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

I think the sync is ok. Your recording quality is descent enough to give a good reference for grading. I feel like this lesson is a really good start for alternate picking practise. As Kris mentioned - in this tempo your hand should be more relaxed. You should make more experiments with resting points - resting height on the bridge and wrist angle.

In the final part there is definitely most additional practise needed. You go out of sync and loose timing.

Now general tip for the left hand. don't take away your fingers when you add next ones on the same string. This way pressure splits on more fingers involved and it feels easier to fret the notes. It seem odd but notice that none of shreders takes away his fingers unless he has to skip to another string or play a note that is behind the fretting finger. That's one of most essential things to workout since the very beginning.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2018, 06:41 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam!

As Kris and Darius said, this is getting better! You still need time to get more comfortable with the tempo so you can play everthing tighter and master other elements like tone and dynamics.

At this point, I recommend you to dedicate some time of your practice to play over the slower backing tracks to you can find the way to relax your hands while playing and give the right accents to the patterns. This doesn't mean that you don't have to play at this tempo, but divide your time to you also practice at slower tempos that allow you to control more your hands.

Keep on the good job mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2018, 02:17 AM
GMC:er
Some good playing here but also some things to work on. Isolate each section of this and focus on each bit. Try to play it in separate chunks and break it down to as many chunks as you need. Each time you feel yourself lose synch, isolate a few bars before and after and repeat that bit til it's better. Then put all the bits back together and it should be smooth smile.gif
Todd

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 12 2018, 07:23 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 4

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:03 PM