Stratman79's March Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Mar 4 2010, 07:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Kieran,

We are finally starting with our MTP work in March. For your 1st assignment (based on your two videos) I decided to work on some soloing/improvising ideas with you. I would like you to record two choruses of improvisation over Autumn Leaves backing track (band in a box is fine like you did it in your videos). I would like you to use only chord tones one chorus and in the other chorus use scales/modes/pentatonics and other approaches. Here is your 1st assignment for March...

Assignment 1:

- Record two choruses of improvised solo over Autumn Leaves.
- Backing track could be from Band in a box or anything that you can work with.
- 1st chorus should be soloing with chord tones only.
- 2nd chorus should be soloing with scales/modes/pentatonics or any other approach that you can fit in your playing.
- Tempo and key for Autumn Leaves are of your choice however I would prefer medium tempo (like in your videos).
- Record a video(or videos) of yourself doing that and upload it on Youtube. Once you have it on Youtube, embed the link from it in your thread.

Deadline for this assignment is 10th of March!

Let me know if you have any extra questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Mar 4 2010, 07:34 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 4 2010, 11:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
cool man, I'm on it...

one question do you want them back to back? i.e the chords tone solo goes into the scale one or record each on seperate??

Kieran

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 4 2010, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 4 2010, 11:19 PM) *
cool man, I'm on it...

one question do you want them back to back? i.e the chords tone solo goes into the scale one or record each on seperate??

Kieran

If you could do them back to back that would be awesome! If you are having too much trouble with that, separate takes would do since I gave you 6 days to complete the assignment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 7 2010, 06:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

Next week at work I'm super busy & I knew I definatly wouldn't get a chance to record a video.

I managed to get a good bit of practise on Thursday evening and Friday day on it. Sat not so much and had a few run throughs this morning.

I've recorded a take I'm just waiting for my youtube to sort it's life out and once it is fully up I will stick the link in.

I tried to stay in position for the chord tones as I thought this would be the correct approach instead of jumping round following chord box shapes. In the 2nd chorus I did move around a bit more.

**edit**

Assignment 1

The video quality isn't as good as I expected... maybe it will improve with time/youtube thing, anyway hope its ok.

Regards

Kieran

This post has been edited by stratman79: Mar 9 2010, 11:05 PM

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 8 2010, 10:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

just so you know I have a copy of the new real book (edition 6)

if that helps for setting future assignments.

Kieran

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 14 2010, 06:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 7 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

Next week at work I'm super busy & I knew I definatly wouldn't get a chance to record a video.

I managed to get a good bit of practise on Thursday evening and Friday day on it. Sat not so much and had a few run throughs this morning.

I've recorded a take I'm just waiting for my youtube to sort it's life out and once it is fully up I will stick the link in.

I tried to stay in position for the chord tones as I thought this would be the correct approach instead of jumping round following chord box shapes. In the 2nd chorus I did move around a bit more.

**edit**

Assignment 1

The video quality isn't as good as I expected... maybe it will improve with time/youtube thing, anyway hope its ok.

Regards

Kieran

QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 8 2010, 10:38 AM) *
Hi Pedja,

just so you know I have a copy of the new real book (edition 6)

if that helps for setting future assignments.

Kieran

Hi Kieran!

As I already responded about your 1st assignment via private message I think it is safe to move onto 2nd assignment now.
In the 2nd assignment I would like you to work more on the rhythm and phrasing in your soloing. I can give you some suggestions for soloing rhythms that you can use :

1) 8th , 8th, Quarter (ta ta taaaa or reverse Taaaa Ta ta )
2) Half note followed by two eights and a quarter note.
3) 8th , 8th, Quarter followed by Half
4) Eight note triplet followed by four 8th notes and a quarter note.

What I would like you to do in your 2nd assignment is take Autumn Leaves again and record couple of choruses while soloing with various rhythms. Be free with rhythm more then melody, I am looking to hear your rhythm vocabulary here not your melodic choice. Anything from one chorus to more is acceptable as assignment. The more you do it the better you will become with it.
Here is your assignment

2nd assignment :

Rhythm vocabulary

- Over standard Autumn Leaves, record at least one chorus soloing with various rhythm phrases.
- Try to use as much variety as possible in rhythms but yet make things musical with that.
- Tempo and key of your choice as well as accompaniment!

Deadline for this assignment is 19th of March! (5 days from now)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 19 2010, 11:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

recorded a take here. had a nightmare with my youtube, can't log into he one I use for GMC and it seems that part of the video has been cut only leaving the audio?? (maybe its taking a while to upload or something??) I'll try and re - upload it with the video in later.

Anyway here's the file, not really what I hoped to acheive rhythm wise but as it has to be handed in, I suppose it will have to do and move on!! and returning to that 'e' on fret 9 far too much, infact as I listen back its really starting to annoy me!!!

Assignment 2

thanks

Kieran

**edit**

Here is the re-uploaded one.

assignment 2 - take 1 (new upload)

Still the screen goes black sometimes?? really don't understand why???

This post has been edited by stratman79: Mar 20 2010, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 22 2010, 05:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 19 2010, 11:43 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

recorded a take here. had a nightmare with my youtube, can't log into he one I use for GMC and it seems that part of the video has been cut only leaving the audio?? (maybe its taking a while to upload or something??) I'll try and re - upload it with the video in later.

Anyway here's the file, not really what I hoped to acheive rhythm wise but as it has to be handed in, I suppose it will have to do and move on!! and returning to that 'e' on fret 9 far too much, infact as I listen back its really starting to annoy me!!!

Assignment 2

thanks

Kieran

**edit**

Here is the re-uploaded one.

assignment 2 - take 1 (new upload)

Still the screen goes black sometimes?? really don't understand why???

Hi Kieran,

I checked both of your videos and as you said at some point screen just goes black. Maybe the problem lies in your video card in your computer. I had a similar problem when I was editing things in Vegas with my old computer. Too little ram memory and hard drive space and video card was getting too much thing to process. I got a new computer and I haven't had that problem since...
I am happy with what I heard in your take. You used different rhythm and you managed to do what I asked for. I can still here that your phrasing needs work as when you play up beat type rhythms you tend to sound off (rushed or very laid back). Regardless of what phrasing we use, our goal is to always have a strong knowledge and feel of where the center of the beat is. This is why I have decided to give you one of my lessons for REC that should help you understand and hear this better. Here are your remaining 2 assignments for March.

3rd assignment :

Lesson for REC

- Record a video of Straight vs Syncopated Collaboration Solo found HERE
- Use the backing track provided in this thread.
- When you have uploaded your video on Youtube, embed it on this thread.
- You should also submit your video (embed it) in the REC part of forum for final grading.
- Deadline for this assignment is 31st of March!

4th assignment :

Theory and harmony

1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.
2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.
3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?
4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?
5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?
6) Tell me everything you know about chord tone and tension relationship with harmony ?
7) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor scale harmony?
8) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor modes and harmony?

Deadline for this assignment is 31st of March!

Remember, pick one (or more if you can do it by deadline) and write me as much as possible on given subject. I want to read and understand how you approach and understand given material.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding assignments and good luck Kieran smile.gif

Pedja

Attached File(s)
Attached File  140_bpm.mp3 ( 912.65K ) Number of downloads: 151

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 27 2010, 10:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

Just about there with it, last run was quite tricky..

Just a quick question I presume you don't mind if don't follow the exact same fingering as you did??

Kieran

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 28 2010, 01:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 27 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

Just about there with it, last run was quite tricky..

Just a quick question I presume you don't mind if don't follow the exact same fingering as you did??

Kieran

Hi Kieran,

This is great to hear. If you would like to readjust fingerings to fit your style, go ahead and do that I don't mind at all. I am looking for correct notes, feel, phrasing and preferably sound as close as possible to original lesson.

Let me know if you have some more questions man.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 31 2010, 12:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

Here is some of the written work, picked a few and just written down off the top of my head, its gotten a little more brief towards the end (got a little tired!!) Am sure if I really thought about it I could think of a little more to write about each one but it's an over view. Let me know if you want me to give more info. Haven't given that many examples (let me know if you want me to set some out)

Kieran

Major Scale

In western music an octave s made up of 12 equal intervals called semitones.

2 semitones make one tone.

The Major scale (or Ionian mode) is constructed as follows.

TTSTTTS (T=Tone S=Semitone)

The intervals can be named.

Major 2nd, Major 3rd, Perfect 4th, Perfect 5th, Major 6th and Major 7th.

These can also be named

Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominate, Dominate, Submediant, Leading Tone.

If you create a major scale a major scale from every note you get a different set of sharps or flats specific to that key. C = 0 accidentals, G = 1#'s, D = 2#'s, A = 3#'s, E = 4#'s, B = 5#'s, F# = 6#'s. F = 1b's, Bb = 2b's, Eb = 3b's, Ab = 4b's, Db = 5b's, Gb = 6b's.

If you Harmonize (build chords from every degree) the major scale creates the following triads.

Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Minor b5.

If you where to extended to a 7th chord the following chords would be created:

Major 7th, Minor 7th, Minor 7th, Major 7th, Dominate 7th, Minor 7th, Minor 7 b7 (half diminished)

Cadences

Cadence is a 2 chord progression that is use to signify the end of a section or piece.

In a major scale there are 4 main cadences.

Perfect Cadence:

This is a V-I chord progression. (G-C) It is the cadence that is the 'strongest' and most commonly used. It is often preceded by a IV chord, giving you the classic IV-V-I progression.

The reason it is so strong is if extended the G chord becomes a dominate chord giving you V7-Imaj7. Dom chords have the strongest sense of movement.

Often the chords are inverted to give a close movement and not sound to 'blocky'

Sometime you can replace the V7 with a VII(half diminished) because you are just removing the root, this gives more sense of resolution as the half dim chord can be viewed as quite dissonant.

Imperfect cadence:

Any chord to V. Normally it is a I-V but IIm-V, VIm,-V and even V-V are quite common. It leaves the listeners with suspense and an unfinished feeling.

Plagal Cadence

A more classical cadence and is a IV-I progression. Normally the IV is inverted leaving the 5th in the bass which is the tonic of the I. Sometimes it has an inversion of the I chord before the IV this gives a rising feel.

Interrupted Cadence.

V to anything other than I. Normally IIm, V or VIm. Again this is weak and sounds unresolved.

Major Scale Modes

Modes scales made up of a different series of semitones and tones.

The modes can be spilt into major and minor modes.

The mode built off the:

Tonic is known as Ionian mode
Supertonic is known as Dorian mode
Mediant is known as Phygian
Subdominate is known as Lydian
Dominate is known as Mixolydian
Submediante is known as Aeolian
Leading Tone is known as Locrian

The Tone/Semitone construction is as follows.
1.Ionian = TTsTTTs
2.Dorian = TsTTTsT
3.Phygian = sTTTsTT
4.Lydian = TTTsTTs
5.Mixolydian = TTsTTsT
6.Aeolian = TsTTsTT
7.Locrian = sTTsTTT

If you where to name the intervals the mode construction would looks as follows:
1.Ionian = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (major mode)
2.Dorian = 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7 (minor mode)
3.Phygian = 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 (minor mode)
4.Lydian = 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7 (major mode)
5.Mixolydian = 1,2,3,4,5,6,b7 (major mode)
6.Aeolian = 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 (minor mode)
7.Locrian = 1,b2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7 (minor mode)

Pentatonic Scale

The Minor Pentatonic scale is constructed as follows: 1, b3, 4, 5, b7

Normally it is played from the VIm but can be substituted and played on the IIm and IIIm to give a modal feel.

The notes in Am pentatonic = A C D E G
The notes in Dm pentatonic = D F G A C
The notes in Em pentatonic = E G A B D

The above notes all belong to C major but the different degrees give different tensions depending on the underlying harmony.

The Major pentatonic scale is constructed as follows: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

Again the major pentatonic can be substituted and played over any of the other diatonic major chords. The

The notes in C major Pentatonic = C D E G A
The notes in F major pentatonic = F G A C D
The notes in G major pentatonic = G A B D E

Again all the notes are in C major but create different tensions.

Minor Scale information

Melodic Minor

You have the:
melodic ascending: 1,2,b3,4,5,6,7
melodic descending: 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7

You notice the melodic descending is Aeolian mode or natural minor, so normally the melodic used
today is referred to as the Jazz Melodic and that's just the melodic ascending (1,2,b3,4,5,6,7)

Originally there was the Harmonic minor scale. In C = C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, B, C

The interval between Ab - B [VIth-VIIth] was difficult for the listens (and as was previously mentioned no doubt difficult for the singers)

The interval is an Augmented 2nd.

A lot of composers used the Natural minor. In C = C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

When you play the scale Bb does want to resolve to C but the B natural in the harmonic minor has a much more powerful resolution.

When the VIIth is a semitone lower than the root/octave it is called a Leading tone.

With a Leading tone in the the scale this also allows for the harmony (harmonized diatonic chords using the given scale) to have a V7 which gives you a perfect cadence. where as in the natural minor you have Vm - Im .Which isn't as powerful.

To rid the augmented 2nd interval they also changed the VIth to a natural.

Of course the leading tone only has this resolutional pull when ascending, from the B-C. [VII-VIII]

Therefore when descending there was no need for it so returned to the natural minor.

This is all relating to Classical theory. IN modern music unless you are studying for Classical grades you wouldn't encounter playing it the classical way.

You would only use the ascending scale ascending and descending.

This is known as the Jazz melodic minor. (If you use the descending variation it is know as Natural minor or Aeolian mode)

The Jazz melodic also has its own set of modes that are used.

I - Jazz melodic - 1,2,b3,4,5,6,7 - Used over Minor/Major7 chords
II - Dorian b9 - 1,b2,b3,4,5,6,b7 - Used over m7b9 or sus4b9 chords
III- Lydian #5 - 1,2,3,#4,#5,6,7 - Used over Maj7#5 chord
IV - Lydian dominated- 1,2,3,#4,5,6,b7 - used over Dom7#11 chords (or over a normal dom7 if you want to add a Lydian feel)
V - Mixolydian b6 - 1,2,3,4,5,b6,b7 - Used over Dom7b13 chords
VI - Aeolian b5 - 1,2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7 - Used over m7b5 or half diminshed chords.
VII - Altered Scale* - 1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7 - Used over Dom chords in II-V-I to add tension

*Aka - Super locrian/diminished whole tone

The only confusion can be the scale intervals are named. I personally prefer to relate everything back to the major. i.e C major has 0 sharps or flats. Harmonic minor has b3 & b6. Melodic minor has b3, Natural minor has b3,b6,b7

You may encounter people saying that the harmonic minor has a raised 7th. this is because they are relating it to the natural minor:

Cmajor has 0 sharps or flats. Its relative minor is A minor (natural minor sharing the same key sig ) [A major has 3#'s. f#,c# & g#, if you make them natural in A you now have b3,b6,b7 (natural minor)] So A natual minor = A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A. If you want to make it a Harmonic minor you have to raise the 7th to a G#. thus why you may hear Harmonic minor having a raised 7th or the melodic having a raised 6th and 7th ascend. This is normally only in classical circles)

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 31 2010, 05:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

Here is the video for Rec 1

Couldn't get the sound as close as I would have liked, I ony have a small camcorder and when I push my amp the camcorder distorts (I think the mic just has a set level)

It does break up a little but I think it is just about acceptable.

Let me know if you want me to do it again.

Regards

Kieran

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Fantastic work Kieran!
Enjoyed reading your knowledge on theory and harmony and then came REC which was great. I think like you said yourself, sound could be more distorted or louder as I am hearing picking and regular sound without amp a lot. Playing was great, you changed fingerings like we agreed, you pretty much nailed it all except some heavier vibrato towards the end. Very well done I would give between 9 and 10 for this one.
Now you should submit it at REC board for grading and you are all set man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 31 2010, 07:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Pedja,

Thanks very much, your too kind!!!

Heres the link to the Rec post

Kieran

This post has been edited by stratman79: Mar 31 2010, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 4 2010, 11:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 31 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

Thanks very much, your too kind!!!

Heres the link to the Rec post

Kieran

Hi Kieran,

You welcome man, you deserve the praise for your good work. Thank you for sharing the link man. I will soon close this thread and open April thread for you with new assignments!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Apr 5 2010, 02:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Pedja,

Have enjoyed working on the assignments this last month.

I would be very keen to keep working on soloing and phrasing.

Obviously if you want to head off in a new direction thats also cool.

Happy Easter BTW biggrin.gif

Kieran

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Apr 8 2010, 11:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Apr 5 2010, 03:10 PM) *
Thanks Pedja,

Have enjoyed working on the assignments this last month.

I would be very keen to keep working on soloing and phrasing.

Obviously if you want to head off in a new direction thats also cool.

Happy Easter BTW biggrin.gif

Kieran

You welcome Kieran,

I will assign you all assignments for April in your next thread so keep an eye for it wink.gif

Happy Easter as well with a bit of delay. I will be absent from 14th to 18th , going to Austria on short tour which is the reason why I will give you all the assignments in advance.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:25 PM