11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11  
Promoting Your Playing And Your Music And You!, Tips and Tricks on Getting the word out about you!
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 4 2016, 06:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
I honestly think it would great if it was present in the forum as well, maybe in the top menu? smile.gif But I don't know how visited the wiki is in general, but there may be a reason for that (that it's not too visible).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2016, 12:40 AM
GMC:er
I think the only reason is that they ran out of block graphics to link to it on the first page. sad.gif Maybe email KRIS and Mention it as he really is great about responding to the desires of GMC members. smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 4 2016, 01:42 PM) *
I honestly think it would great if it was present in the forum as well, maybe in the top menu? smile.gif But I don't know how visited the wiki is in general, but there may be a reason for that (that it's not too visible).

Here is a vid by OLA ENGLUND sorta breaking it down in terms of being an "indie" artist. E.G. Not being on a Major Lable and still making a living. He's brutally honest in this one.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 26 2016, 06:55 AM
KILLER Video that breaks down HOW TO MAKE A LIVING IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY "TODAY"

If you don't want/need to earn money from your music, GOD BLESS YOU. This post/vid is not for you. However, if you are hoping to either transition to music as a full time gig, or just want to start building an income with music, here is how you start smile.gif

Here are her TOP FIVE THINGS TO DO.

Here is an interview with her, with more info.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 26 2016, 07:20 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2016, 04:39 PM
The very cool folks over @ iConnectivity (I've been using one of their audio interfaces, the iConnectivity4+ lately) have been so kind as to feature me in their Blog!!

http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/todd-sim...-iconnectaudio4

This brings me to a good point about "self promotion". If there is a bit of gear/kit that you have, that you like, and use all the time, reach out to the folks that make it. Tell them how great it is and that you'd love to help them spread the word about it in any way you can. Offer to help, essentially smile.gif If you have any kind of traction on social media, they will usually respond right away. Even if you don't have any real traction on social media, reach out all the same. They may feature you on their social media and just that can get you some good exposure to new potential fans who might otherwise have never seen you . smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 23 2016, 06:38 PM
If you don't yet have a REVERBNATION.com account to help promote your music and yourself as a player, it's time to make one! smile.gif It's easy to do, it's free and yet another way for folks to connect with you and your music. Don't be shy smile.gif Share any music you are proud of, collab, solo, etc. Have your promo in place for 2017 and here's to hoping it's a great year smile.gif

http://bit.ly/divinusmortus_reverbnation

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2017, 10:09 PM
GOING PRO ON SOUND CLOUD

Soundclound.com offers two paid options, one is 7 bux a month and one is 15. I'm going to try the 15 a month for a while to see how it goes as it gives very detailed stats on who listened to your tracks and where they are coming from. This would allow a musician to be able to tailor his music a bit for the audience he/she is actually serving. I had no idea that I was big in INDONESIA. The stats were almost shocking, France, Brazil, big fans. Who knew? It also shows the web site where your traffic is coming from. Lots of mine is from GMC, no shock there. A good bit is straight google from other countries around the world.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 21 2017, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2017, 03:52 AM
GREAT vid about how to get started reviewing gear for various companies, even if you are just starting out. Some very good advice.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 29 2017, 07:43 AM
TYPICAL FOUR WEEK PERIOD ON A "PARTNER" YOUTUBE ACCOUNT: E.G. MAKING MONEY ON YOUTUBE?

Here is a screen grab from a typical 28 day cycle on my youtube account. Keep in mind that I DON"T use "Pre Roll ads" (these are the adverts that roll before a vid that you can't skip and that I HATE, they make the most money.) I also avoid any ads other than the small box graphic ads that you can easily click away from. The only way to make money on youtube imho is to use wads of ads. However, unless you are OLA ENGLUND reviewing an amp that costs more than my car, most folks won't wait, they will just click off, so you have to find a balance. Anyhoo!! Here it is smile.gif

Attached Image

Yup! Just over $1, one Dollar in earnings for about 5,000 views. That's about average for me in a typical month. I used to put more adverts on my vids, but it was only getting me $100-$200 a year and I hate ads so I backed off. However, I have been able to use youtube to get "eyeballs" and turn those eyeballs in to FREE GEAR!! Some of that gear I kept, some of it I sold. It's just another one of the many "REVENUE STREAMS" that the modern musician has to string together in order to try to get as close to "Pro" as possible smile.gif

Anyone else care to share youtube results for a given month?

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 29 2017, 07:44 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2017, 04:44 AM
HOW TO MAKE YOUR VIDEO GO "VIRAL"?

1. Influencer outreach
More than any other piece of advice on this list, this is the single most powerful factor for gaining viral status on YouTube. Having said that, it doesn’t mean that you can ignore everything else – we’ll get to why in a moment.

Influencers are individuals and platforms with massive followings. Pewdiepie, the most subscribed to YouTube channel for several years, is an example of an influencer. If you are able to reach out to a number of people with a following like this you can vastly increase the chances of making your music video go viral.

However, you can’t just throw any old video their way and expect it to work. Your music and the video’s concept will have to line up with the influencer’s audience. Using the previous example of Pewdiepie, a large portion of his subscribers are millennial gamers. Therefore a music video that incorporated gaming culture would likely be well received and have more chance of success.

It’s also important that you pay attention to quality. Influencers have spent years of time building a brand. So, they don’t have time for endorsing the mediocre.

2. Participation is king
Some music is just plain catchy. If you want to go viral, the best thing you can do is to make your song unbelievably easy to sing along to. Simple chord progressions, upbeat and danceable beats combined with easy vocal melodies might sound too simplistic to work, but this just makes it easier for your audience to get engaged.

Think about a nightclub full of people. When the DJ sticks on certain songs, everybody starts belting out the lyrics together. It’s almost spiritual. Strangers lock eyes and throw their arms around each other in spontaneous camaraderie.

Anything you can do to that makes this easier increases the chances of your song going viral. Some music videos feature content sent in by fans to help the word of mouth marketing – who could resist the urge to show off to their friends and family that they are in a music video?

Of course, simple catchy beats aren’t enough on their own, which brings us to the next point.

3. Make it relatable
Aside from influencers, the other main transmission vector you need to focus on to make a video go viral is to make it shareable.

What this means exactly can vary from one video to another, but one of the best ways to do this is lyrics that make your audience want to share the video, captioned with the words “omg this is literally me.”

You can go serious or silly with this. The Chainsmokers’ song ‘Selfie’ was a ridiculous, almost pointless song. But it did hold up a mirror to hookup and social media culture in a way that made it funny for those who felt it reflected them. It was also quite satirical, and went over pretty well with people who absolutely hated this sort of thing precisely because of how blatant it was.

When it’s time to spread the word about your music, it’s time to look at Promote It

4. The video concept is fascinating
Making a viral music video places the emphasis on the video. You can have a song that is by all accounts good, and sometimes it can be downright terrible, as long as the production quality is high.

But YouTube is a visual medium, so you’re going to want to give more attention to those elements than you normally would.

You can make a fascinating video concept in a literally infinite number of ways. Comedy is a great way to go, but more serious or even abstract ideas can also work. The key idea is that whoever is listening to the song won’t be able to tear their eyes away from the screen either.

Dance routines are another routine that works well, and also lends itself brilliantly to the concept of helping the audience participate. A great example of this is Silento’s Watch Me, which gained a huge amount of popularity as people uploaded videos of themselves copying the dance moves.

5. There’s no set formula for viral videos
Sorry, but there it is. It’s more or less impossible to make a viral video on purpose. The only thing you can do is make a great video, a great song and then promote it everywhere. What catches on can’t be predicted.

Having said that, you can cheat a little. So many things go viral that there’s no reason why you can’t ride the coattails of their success. Incorporating ideas from other viral content, such as dances, images or even phrases is an easy way to do this. For example, the phrase ‘cracking open a cold one with the boys’ spiked online in June 2017, and using this as the hook for a summer party anthem would have been a great way to siphon off some of that popularity.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2018, 02:27 AM
Getting some traction on Instagram (really any social media). I made sure to put my Hotone Audio pedalboard in the background of the latest Gabe colllab solo that I did and tagged the video on instagram (also put it on youtube and facebook) and Hotone Audio re "grammed" it and put it in their instagram feed. As soon as they did that, the view count shot up and I started getting wads more traction on the vid. I'm using a vintage Ibby so I also posted it in the Ibby users facebook group where it also got very nice traction/eyeballs.

All this is to say, once you make a vid you like, think about "crosspolinating" it to social media and make sure to try to put something in the shot that will encourage a bigger fish to repost/share it. If you have a Mesa Amp, put the Mesa amp in the shot and tag the pic #mesaboogie and the folks at boogie may repost it on their feed. Just another way to leverage social media and take advantage of videos that you already have in the can smile.gif

Here is the hotone repost
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2018, 10:43 PM
NEW Youtube Handy Bits! Youtube has added something called
"END SCREEN AND ANNOTATIONS" that lets you pick a couple of your own vids and a picture/button for folks to click to subscribe to your channel. You used to have to do this by hand and it was a bit of a pain. Now there are templates for it. That way, at the end of your vid, you can link two more vids that are related and thus keep folks watching your content. Also you get a button that allows them to subscribe.Just pick your template and bam!

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2018, 04:44 AM
One way to get on Spotify and other services is through something called TUNE CORE. It's not free but it is cheap. I've looked through most of these and so far I like this one best. If anyone else has another option please do share!!!
www.tunecore.com
--
Here’s some of the awesome stuff you get through TuneCore:

Worldwide digital distribution to over 150 stores, including iTunes, Spotify, and Google Play
Pre-orders for iTunes & Google Play
Daily Trend Reports to keep a day-to-day eye on your sales in Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon.
TuneCore’s commitment has always been to our artists. That’s why we never take a percentage of your sales, and never withhold any of your distribution rights.

------

Another way is through REVERBNATION.com for $1 per song, they will let you pick six streaming services (spotify etc.) to stream your spiff song through smile.gif

The price was so good, that I put my recent collab with Hamin from Iran on reverbnation to see how it does.
Attached Image

Also, it's not very hard to get a ranked position on reverbnation.com, and its something you can add to your social media, and press kit etc. To show how easy it is, I'm currently ranked in the Top 10.

Attached Image

---

Let's Not forget CDBABY.com !! As RAMMIKIN pointed out, they have a one time fee for releasing albums instead of a fee per year!

Here is some info from Rammikin

QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 12 2018, 09:14 AM) *
There are many such services to choose from. In my experience the key difference among them is the fee structure. Some charge an annual fee to keep an album available, while others charge a one-rime fee when you release it. The former usually costs less up front while the latter cost less in the long run. For example TuneCore charges $30 the first year for an album and $50 per year after that. But CDBaby (the service I use) charges a one time fee when you release the album to make available forever (or at least as long as they are in business). I think I paid $75 for my latest album.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 12 2018, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 12 2018, 11:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
Has reverbnation fixed their 8 mb limit for songs? That was always a problem for me.

At the moment, it seems you still have to pay 13 bucks a month to upload anything over 8 mb.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 12 2018, 11:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2018, 08:34 PM
I just uploaded an MP3 as that's the most often streamed format and mine was not that long. But I can see how it would be a huge problem for you as you have songs that are 30 minutes long! I do think you have have to pay extra for big files from what I remember reading. However, as was mentioned in another thread there is always CDbaby.com !

Here is some pricing info from Rammikin

QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 12 2018, 09:14 AM) *
There are many such services to choose from. In my experience the key difference among them is the fee structure. Some charge an annual fee to keep an album available, while others charge a one-rime fee when you release it. The former usually costs less up front while the latter cost less in the long run. For example TuneCore charges $30 the first year for an album and $50 per year after that. But CDBaby (the service I use) charges a one time fee when you release the album to make available forever (or at least as long as they are in business). I think I paid $75 for my latest album.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 12 2018, 06:57 AM) *
Has reverbnation fixed their 8 mb limit for songs? That was always a problem for me.

At the moment, it seems you still have to pay 13 bucks a month to upload anything over 8 mb.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 12 2018, 09:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 12 2018, 09:34 PM) *
I just uploaded an MP3 as that's the most often streamed format and mine was not that long. But I can see how it would be a huge problem for you as you have songs that are 30 minutes long! I do think you have have to pay extra for big files from what I remember reading. However, as was mentioned in another thread there is always CDbaby.com !

Here is some pricing info from Rammikin

8 mb limit is just like 4 minutes in good format though, from the top of my head, is it not?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2018, 09:10 PM
True smile.gif

A quick googling revealed CD baby will let you upload a 290 MB file as a single for $9.99, it looks like it's good forever if I'm reading it correctly, which is great deal!
https://members.cdbaby.com/cd-baby-cost.aspx
Also, it's perpetual, so CDbaby don't charge each year to keep it up. They just take a 9 percent rake on sales, if there are any sales. Sadly,

In 2011: 94% of digital tracks in 2011 (that’s 7.5 million tracks) sold fewer than 100 units, and an astonishing 32% sold only one copy.
http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2013/11/you...e-tunecore.html

Putting music online is really more of a promotional tool than a sales tool until you reach a certain critical mass. Until then, it can costs you wads of money with some services to just keep them up even if nobody is buying.. That's one cool thing about CDbaby, you just pay once.

Spotify is offering a way to listen to high quality files but the cost is quite an increase. Most streaming services offer the basic plan with compressed streaming. So unless your subscribers are willing to pay the exra to hear music in higher quality, it won't matter what quality you submit the file at, they will hear it squashed.

Here is a link to what spotify is doing to offer better stream quailty. Each vendor has a different pricing model, they all have their ups/downs. As bandwidth increases on mobile networks, I have no doubt we will see a move toward higher resolution audio. The same way we saw an increase in the quality of streamed video as available bandwidth increased.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15168340/...ify-hi-fi-tidal

I'm not sure whether you are looking for higher resolution, bigger file size or both? At the current state of affairs, each vendor has their own pricing plan so each one is worth looking in to. Your case is a bit unique just due to length of songs. Given the plethora of vendors a bit of research should turn up at least one willing to stream long files without price gouging. Same with increase in bandwidth, increases in service side storage will take costs down as well. In a couple/few years, longer songs, higher resolutions, will probably be part of the standard package for most vendors I'd wager.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 12 2018, 04:00 PM) *
8 mb limit is just like 4 minutes in good format though, from the top of my head, is it not?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 12 2018, 09:40 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 1 2018, 05:06 PM
Reverbnation.com runs promotions where they claim that your music will get seen by Record Label people who are just stoked about signing somebody from reverbnation, supposedly. They are often free to submit to. I just submitted to one of them today. Have you guys ever tried something like this and did anyone get any traction from it? I"m trying to blaze a trail and save folks the drama of being scammed so I'm neck deep in seeing if this stuff is real.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I've submitted music to WADS of these things on reverbnation. I"ll let you guys know if any of them get any traction.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 1 2018, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:29 AM