11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Promoting Your Playing And Your Music And You!, Tips and Tricks on Getting the word out about you!
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2013, 08:40 AM
Instructor
Everyone needs a website indeed! Now, the level of complexity and options is SO big that you might easily get lost in there. I will tackle the scenario in which you want to invest some time and learn how to use the Wordpress platform as out of what I understood, they are being very flexible and offer a lot of interesting options.

Anybody here skilled in this area maybe? biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2013, 11:12 AM
GMC:er
The good news is that with todays tools there is almost no skill required to make a presentable web site. WORDPRESS is always an option, but I'd suggest you take a look at

http://www.get-ctrl.com/

which is a place designed just for musicians. For FREE it will walk you through all the steps to creating your band web site online. It integrates your social media and has a built in email capture page. You can do a lot with word press, but the default free templates are not that sexy and tweaking it for a band site can take a decent knowledge of PHP and CSS and other things most musicians would rather just not mess with in general.

I"m going to build a test site on get-ctrl for my DIVINUS MORTUS project to test it out. I"ll share the link when it goes up!

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 14 2013, 02:40 AM) *
Everyone needs a website indeed! Now, the level of complexity and options is SO big that you might easily get lost in there. I will tackle the scenario in which you want to invest some time and learn how to use the Wordpress platform as out of what I understood, they are being very flexible and offer a lot of interesting options.

Anybody here skilled in this area maybe? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2013, 10:38 PM
Anyone remember myspace? It's fallen out of favor as a social media destination in the states. However, don't ignore it in your social media strategy. You can set up hootsuite.com to post to all of your social media at one time which is a great time saver. There are some parts of the world where myspace is still used so believe it or not it's a good idea to maintain your profile. Myspace recently relaunched with minimal fanfare so get ready to have to change your profile for the new platform. Myspace does allow customization. Here is my current profile. Share yours smile.gif

http://www.myspace.com/techniqueswithtodd

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2013, 03:11 PM
Great vid talking about building your fan base BEFORE you try to "Sell" anything. Unless you have about 2,000 to 2,5000 actual fans (not just likes but actual fans that respond and who've given you their email address) You are really better off just giving your music away than trying to sell it.

Below that threshold your just trying to raise awareness more than anything. This does mean eating the costs associated with putting anything out which is why it's a good idea to go purely digital until the fan base makes physical product financially viable. Here is the vid.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 1 2013, 12:05 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 14 2013, 10:12 AM) *
The good news is that with todays tools there is almost no skill required to make a presentable web site. WORDPRESS is always an option, but I'd suggest you take a look at

http://www.get-ctrl.com/

which is a place designed just for musicians. For FREE it will walk you through all the steps to creating your band web site online. It integrates your social media and has a built in email capture page. You can do a lot with word press, but the default free templates are not that sexy and tweaking it for a band site can take a decent knowledge of PHP and CSS and other things most musicians would rather just not mess with in general.

I"m going to build a test site on get-ctrl for my DIVINUS MORTUS project to test it out. I"ll share the link when it goes up!

Todd

Get-ctrl looks rather intriguing,

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 5 2013, 01:03 AM
It's a great option and it's FREE!! smile.gif It's still new so it's got some bugs, but nothing too major.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 1 2013, 06:05 AM) *
Get-ctrl looks rather intriguing,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2013, 04:32 PM
A really spiff article on REVERB NATION about getting your Music on iTunes. REVERB NATION is a great free resource for promoting your band/music. I know it seems like all these sites are a pain to keep up with, but it's all part of getting the word out about your music. If you don't have a reverb nation profile, go set one up. I'm working on mine now.

Here is the link.

http://www.reverbnation.com/band-promotion..._digital_distro

+Quote Post
lassem
May 18 2013, 03:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
I was going to share some of my experience when it comes to Youtube and marketing and found this thread started by Todd, so I might be repeating what's already been shared here but it might be something new. smile.gif

Something that is really important when it comes to getting ranked high in Google and Youtube is links to your video from blogs and all the social media sites. While it is good to get links from your own facebook and Twitter accounts you should try to get all your friends to also tweet, and share on Facebook and Google plus, the more the better. You can also use annotations in the video to incourage people to share with their friends.

(When you edit the video it is a good idea to put an image in the video that says "please share" or something that stands out a little bit, an image looks a lot better than the annotation.

If you have a website or blog than it's a good idea to make an image inside the video clickable for example an image that says "Click here to visit my new website") This is a pretty new feature in Youtube and it will for sure increase visitors to your website. (Something for GMC maybe)

Keywords in the title and description has already been talked about but it's very important to get any views other than from friends and channel subscribers. If yout put "My new guitar video" as a title and nothing in the description you will not get any views from search. If you put "Cool Guitar Riff in the Style of Hendrix" and also write something about this riff in the description and also include keywords and tags you will have a much bigger chance of getting many more views.

If you have a website you can embed your video. Something that helps the ranking is to also put a link to your video or channel just under the video itself or somwhere in the text.

Finaly chose a good thumbnail you know the picture that you see on the side and in search. For example if you make a how to play something and have tabs to share make a picture that illustrate that you share the tabs, everybody wants tabs so they will likley click on your video first.

There is lot of very good videos with hardly no views at all so if you shoot a good video take a litle time and go through these steps to give it a chance.

If you are serious about your music or have a band you should register a domain it is only $10/year and the hosting of the website cost from $5-10/month.

If you need any help with setting up a wordpress blog just let me know, I have some pretty good templates you can use. I don't have a ton of time but if you want to promote your music I will be happy to help.

/Lars

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 24 2013, 04:32 AM
Some very good tips! All of these are really worth doing. If you've got a handy word press theme, please do share! I'd love to see it smile.gif Word press is a great way for musicians to get involved with the web.

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2013, 07:03 AM
Instructor
The graphic design for my site is almost ready, will share as soon as it's done - I'm curious to see what you guys think smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 24 2013, 08:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Aug 27 2010, 04:56 PM) *
If you want people to see it, naming and tagging are VERY important. The question is whether or not you want to entertain the trolls at your own expense.

If you don't want the trolls (or the views) then using the "unlisted" option will allow you to link/embed it freely for REC and MTP entries without the video showing up on any of youtube's searches. I used to simply not tag my "learning to play" videos and that kept trolls and viewers away. The only people that ever saw them were GMC members and ... mom wink.gif

If you really do want people to see your stuff:
- tag liberally, anything that might relate to the video! Gear used, song style, techniques used, etc.
- spell the name of the famous song that you're covering correctly.
- do not use a "backing track" for the copyrighted song you're covering. Play it yourself or risk its removal.
- answer questions in the comments. if no questions are asked, just thank people for the kind remarks.

The "internet famous" folks are mostly successful by promoting themselves as a brand, they interact with their viewers and with each other.

You're right. Interacting with people makes some kind of bond that makes mechanizm working. It's importnat to be "a human" in the web" not only a face with guitar. The only problem is that the more viewers You get, the harder is to respond to all and still have a time to record anything new smile.gif

+Quote Post
lassem
May 26 2013, 04:33 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 24 2013, 03:32 AM) *
Some very good tips! All of these are really worth doing. If you've got a handy word press theme, please do share! I'd love to see it smile.gif Word press is a great way for musicians to get involved with the web.

Todd

Here is 2 screenshots of the frontpage of 2 similar themes with top slider. I have a few others but they look almost the same just different options, these 2 are pretty easy to get started with.

Features:
Multiple Slides Support (Images/Video)
looks good with Smarts phone
Color options (White, Black, Brown, Blue, Green, Pink, Purple, Red, Yellow)
Gallery / Contact Us Page Template
Drop down menu
AJAX based Options Panel (More Easier)

Attached Image
Attached Image

/Lars

This post has been edited by lassem: May 26 2013, 04:41 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2013, 03:01 PM
Instructor
I strongly support Darius' statement about communication smile.gif I never even thought about acquiring such a following on my Youtube channel (I have 2200 subscribers so far and counting) but I took care to answer each nice comment and of course, ignore the trolls biggrin.gif While at it, I was very constant in uploading videos, thanks to my GMC lessons (I always upload the main video of each lesson on my Youtube channel, having the gmc link in the text description so that anyone wanting to find out more can visit the link)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2013, 02:53 AM
Aint it the truth!!! At one point I was spending several hours each day just responding to youtube questions from my vids. I actually slowed down making vids as I just couldn't answer everything. I have since started spending more time here @ GMC than on youtube.

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 24 2013, 03:51 AM) *
You're right. Interacting with people makes some kind of bond that makes mechanizm working. It's importnat to be "a human" in the web" not only a face with guitar. The only problem is that the more viewers You get, the harder is to respond to all and still have a time to record anything new smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2013, 06:57 AM
Instructor
Todd, I would be very grateful if you could explain in a few words how the monetizing process takes place on YT... I have activated this option about a month and a half ago and it says that there are no available statistics for monetizing sad.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 31 2013, 11:10 PM
Sure smile.gif (P.S. shoot me a pm in cases of direct questions if possible with alink to the forum just so I don't space out and miss it!)

The Basic process is

1.)Youtube invites you to be a "partner"
2.)You create a Google Adsense account.
3)You turn on monetization in youtube.
4.)After wads and wads of views, you get a little bit of money.

It takes HUGE amounts of views to get any money. Personally, I turned off ALL pre roll ads since they are lame and drive people away from your vids and reduce views. Honestly, monetization is almost pointless unless you are HANNA MINX or one of these youtubers with 10 million subscribers.

With most cases, it just turns people off your vids when they have to watch ads before or during so I turn all that off. I let the small banner ads play though and it makes a hundred bux or so each month. It's pretty paultry.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 27 2013, 01:57 AM) *
Todd, I would be very grateful if you could explain in a few words how the monetizing process takes place on YT... I have activated this option about a month and a half ago and it says that there are no available statistics for monetizing sad.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 1 2013, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Thank you, got the PM this morning biggrin.gif Will reply in a gippy!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2013, 02:09 PM
FREEMIUM????

E.G. MOVING FANS FROM FREEBIES TO PAYING CUSTOMERS

Getting fans/followers/likes is often seen as a goal in and off itself. While it's certainly important, it's only a means to an end. At some point, (hopefully once you have achieved a degree of critical mass, e.g. semi large following) you will need to convert your likes/followers/friends/etc. to paying customers in order to help fund your music projects. This is a daunting task but not impossible.

Most of the literature/data suggests that making a small leap is the best approach E.G. Give your music away until you reach a decent following, then start charging 99 cents for special songs, and offer exclusive bundles that can't be purchased elsewhere via your web site. Give fans a reason to come back.

Here is a great info graphic that illustrates how few people on any give subscription/sign up /social media/streaming service actually pay and how many are freebies.

http://musicindustryblog.wordpress.com/201...reemium-add-up/

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2013, 11:45 PM
NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL BANNER!!!!

YOUTUBE has changed the way each channel looks and they have a new banner size. Here is a jpg template to base your new banner around smile.gif It shows what will be cut off for each platform (mobile/tablet/etc.)

Attached Image

P.S. Here is a link to the YOUTUBE CREATOR ACADEMY a full video course to help you maximize your viewership!

https://creatoracademy.withgoogle.com/unit?...=1&lesson=1

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 17 2013, 11:53 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2013, 01:48 PM
PROMOTING YOUR MUSIC.

!! GO GET A REVERBNATION.COM ACCOUNT!!!!

Here is mine, smile.gif Check it out for reference.

http://www.reverbnation.com/techniqueswithtodd

Attached Image

Also, when you make your FREE PROFILE, connect with me via ReverbNation and I will connect back with you!! Follow this same procedure with any band you like on reverb nation and invite your friends in bands to join and connect to you as well. It's a great way to create a network of connections and contacts online and in the real world.

Also, you can sell your music with the FREE online reverbnation store and even sell Tshirts WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY THEM FIRST!! you can upload your design or make one using the web site. You don't have to buy the Tshirts. They just make them as the order comes in so your cost is NOTHING!!!

HERE IS THE LINK TO SIGN UP.

https://www.reverbnation.com/signup

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:54 AM