Yesterday Was Fun
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 7 2012, 11:52 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Just following on from my comment here

My wife had been chatting to someone she knows vaguely and they said their son was setting up a recording/mixing studio
so she kindly said I'd go along and help/have a look. Yesterday I went there and here's what I found.

The studio - when/if it's finished is going to be owned and run by the 32 yr old son of the woman my wife knows. The guy has no experience in sound or music production. He's had a few other 'careers' in his life - all paid for by his mum - but apparently this is definately what he wants to be.

Anyway, they currently are converting an outbuilding on their estate to use as the studio. As yet there is no sound treatment and I'm not sure if they intend to get any. They've had a music shop supply 'everything you need' to set up a studio and it was apparently all delivered a few weeks ago. So at present the studio has a few basic mics and mic stands, a reflection filter, a 32 channel live console (not recording/mixing), a pc to run the sequencer, a multichannel AD/DA, a rack with some low end prosumer effects/dynamic processors and a couple of pairs of monitors, some cabling, various instruments and amps, midi controller keyboard, some vsts and vstis, etc. The mum said they'd spent about 10k so far and she on their 'high end' studio. Just for a change I didn't say anything about how much pro end gear costs.

When I got there all the stuff had been unpacked but the console/ad/da etc had not been cabled because the son didn't know how. So I tried to give him a very quick crash course in to how to get up and running and a quick walk through on the basics of the sequencer and console. At the end of this the guy turned to me and said, 'Man this is so easy I guess I'm just a natural.' I hope so as he didn't take any notes and spent most of his time playing on his I-Pad. I told him to give me a call if he needed any more help and he said, 'No need I'll get the info off the web.'

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 7 2012, 12:09 PM
GMC:er
Nothing like being appreciated for skills/advice! Especially when offered freely!
Sounds like he'll be up and running the best Studio this side of the western Hemisphere in no time at all then!!!
laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 7 2012, 12:09 PM
Learning Roadie
I applaud your ability to hold your tongue, it can't have been easy not to either laugh in his face or give him the reality of it all in a very blunt way.

Point him in the direction of Gearslutz.com or Thewomb.com I'm sure they'll love him!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 7 2012, 12:15 PM
Instructor
Sounds like you need to get your Doc Martins out again and 'educate' people with a kick in the goolies... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 7 2012, 12:30 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
He'll learn. That or bankrupt his parents. Or both ...

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 7 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Point him in the direction of Gearslutz.com or Thewomb.com I'm sure they'll love him!

Good old Gearslutz - the site where a troll chased away Bob Katz! Have to say I do like gearslutz though - some good stuff, some great people, and some that make me laugh.
though not necessarily for the reasons they intend.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:47 AM