4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Pickup Replacement
kaznie_NL
Aug 9 2009, 09:41 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 9 2009, 02:18 AM) *
Pretty crowded in there!

First of all remove that clip that holds together all the cables so that you can move them arround and get a better view. Don't worry about it looking not tidy as long as everything works!

You are right, the big marked cable that splits into lots of little ones is you humbucker multiconductor, you can pull out your humbucker to be sure of it if it moves! Unsolder all the little cables coming from the big one so that you can pull the humbucker out. Put in the new humbucker and pull the cable into the cavity. And now onto the soldering...

You have to solder the green and the bare cable ON TOP of the volume knob to ground the pickup. The red and white cable are usually for coilsplitting but since they are not in use, you can twist the tips together and tape it of so that it can't touch anything else...
Finally you solder the black cable to the volume knob, right where your old humbucker was connected to and you are done!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/produc.../501005-110.pdf

shouldn't one cable go to the 5way switch? Like the blue one ATM? So the bare and green one go exactly where the bare is atm tongue.gif That's easy wink.gif

BTW, the place my old humbucker was on the volume, that's the most left of the three spots right? Also, with al the sending costs I'll pay 50 euros for the TB-4, I'm making the deal atm, we're now at the stage of getting his acount number, and asking whether he shortened the wires to fit in his guitar!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 9 2009, 09:42 AM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 9 2009, 12:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hmm your guitar seems to have a weird wiring from looking at the pictures. It would be easier to figure out if I could take a close look at it myself...

Best thing would be to look at the places you old humbucker was conected to and momorize them to fit the new Tb-4, ground to where the old one was grounded, conect to the old conect place and the rest will be taped together so there is no need to worry!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 9 2009, 02:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 9 2009, 01:51 PM) *
Hmm your guitar seems to have a weird wiring from looking at the pictures. It would be easier to figure out if I could take a close look at it myself...

Best thing would be to look at the places you old humbucker was conected to and momorize them to fit the new Tb-4, ground to where the old one was grounded, conect to the old conect place and the rest will be taped together so there is no need to worry!

I just paid for the thing wink.gif yay tongue.gif You have any clue why the configuration as it is has a blue wire to the 5way switch? Oh, if you want a certain picture of a certain angle, please ask!

You're a big help Zakk, without the help I wouldn't have done this wink.gif Great!!! BTW.... you are probably also the only person that I've never seen in real life, but who has my celphone numer tongue.gif Remeber for the wiki competition last year?

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 9 2009, 02:38 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 9 2009, 03:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 9 2009, 03:37 PM) *
BTW.... you are probably also the only person that I've never seen in real life, but who has my celphone numer tongue.gif Remeber for the wiki competition last year?

Sure biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 11 2009, 07:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 9 2009, 02:18 AM) *
Pretty crowded in there!

First of all remove that clip that holds together all the cables so that you can move them arround and get a better view. Don't worry about it looking not tidy as long as everything works!

You are right, the big marked cable that splits into lots of little ones is you humbucker multiconductor, you can pull out your humbucker to be sure of it if it moves! Unsolder all the little cables coming from the big one so that you can pull the humbucker out. Put in the new humbucker and pull the cable into the cavity. And now onto the soldering...

You have to solder the green and the bare cable ON TOP of the volume knob to ground the pickup. The red and white cable are usually for coilsplitting but since they are not in use, you can twist the tips together and tape it of so that it can't touch anything else...
Finally you solder the black cable to the volume knob, right where your old humbucker was connected to and you are done!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/produc.../501005-110.pdf

I had a little chat with Ivan and some peeps about these PU'sl.... We thought that I should do what you said, BUT connect the black wire to the 5way, not to the tone pot (yep it was tone, not volum wink.gif )

would that be possible? that way you're still not splitable, using green and bare for ground, red and white taped together, and black for 5way

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 11 2009, 07:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't know the way your guitar is wired because there are so many possibilities...

If you old humbucker is directly connected to the 5 way then it will work, although I suspect the wires going to the 5 way are for the coilsplit in the middle positions! Generally I would connect and ground to the volume knob!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 12 2009, 03:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 11 2009, 08:54 PM) *
I don't know the way your guitar is wired because there are so many possibilities...

If you old humbucker is directly connected to the 5 way then it will work, although I suspect the wires going to the 5 way are for the coilsplit in the middle positions! Generally I would connect and ground to the volume knob!

but I'm very sure that the blue wire on the 5 way switch is coming from the big humbucker cable!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 12 2009, 03:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 12 2009, 04:40 PM) *
but I'm very sure that the blue wire on the 5 way switch is coming from the big humbucker cable!

Yes ofcourse it does! The grounding cable, the bare cable, the connection cable and the two cables needed for coilsplitting are coming from the big humbucker cable...

The question is the color code on your humbucker! Blue COULD be the connection cable, but it could also be the grounding cabe or a cable used for the coil splitting since they are all coming from the big humbucker cable you can't be sure what it does if you catch my drift...

You can try googling to find out the color code for your true duo humbucker (blue=?, red=?,...)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Aug 12 2009, 03:58 PM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 12 2009, 04:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/...up_color_codes/
http://www.fixguitars.com/guitar_wiring_di...es/ibanez_1.jpg

Huh??? red is hot???

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 12 2009, 04:33 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 12 2009, 04:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
Looks like the blue wire is grounded on the pickup selector and the red one is the on for the connection on the volume knob (hot)

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 12 2009, 05:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 12 2009, 05:58 PM) *
Looks like the blue wire is grounded on the pickup selector and the red one is the on for the connection on the volume knob (hot)

I removed the old one, here's a new finding tongue.gif
from the old one, blue goes to 5way, bare to ground, and the red, black and white ones went on the volume knob like in the attachement (grey=white one). Does that mean.... I have to get my SD pickup, red and white taped together, bare grounding where it was, green grounding on the 5way (or same place as gray, pls confirm this?) and the black one on the right middle part?

Kaz

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 12 2009, 07:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 12 2009, 06:26 PM) *
I removed the old one, here's a new finding tongue.gif
from the old one, blue goes to 5way, bare to ground, and the red, black and white ones went on the volume knob like in the attachement (grey=white one). Does that mean.... I have to get my SD pickup, red and white taped together, bare grounding where it was, green grounding on the 5way (or same place as gray, pls confirm this?) and the black one on the right middle part?

Kaz

Ok now you tape red and white together on the incoming seymour duncan so they go nowhere, the bare and green go to the same place for grounding and the black one goes where either your old humbuckers red or black one were...

It's always a little trial and error with installing pickups on a wiring setup you are not familiar with. I always put the new humbucker in and put the strings back on (no need to tune them right, they are just there to confirm a working pickup)

I start soldering the pickup in then and when I think I got it right I plug the guitar into the amp and try if I get some sound and if all switches and knobs work. If something is not working right I open the guitar up again and try something else^^

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 12 2009, 07:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I tink you were right all the way, about me having to solder it to the volume pot, that's what i'm going to do tongue.gif the colour coding got me wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 13 2009, 05:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Zakk.... Thaaank yoouuuu!!! You've helped an insane lot, and thanks to you I dared swapping the PU, which works!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 13 2009, 07:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
CLIIIIIIIPS! WE WANT TO HEAR IT!

I am glad to help and I hope you like the new pickup I suggested^^

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 13 2009, 08:22 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 13 2009, 05:53 PM) *
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Dr Frankenkaz!!!!!!

Congratz Kaz on a successful Transplant Operation!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

And congratz Zakk on the 'Talk through'!!! Great stuff!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Aug 13 2009, 08:23 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 14 2009, 04:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Will do wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 14 2009, 07:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lol, the pulled pot does make a sound, more noise then pushed, and a lot less hot.... kinda odd tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 14 2009, 07:43 PM
GMC:er
lower output, higher hum? Sounds like it's successfully running the bridge pickup as just a single-coil then.

Grats, you tapped your coil correctly?

(try it on clean channel, should be a better illustration of the differences)

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 14 2009, 08:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Aug 14 2009, 08:43 PM) *
lower output, higher hum? Sounds like it's successfully running the bridge pickup as just a single-coil then.

Grats, you tapped your coil correctly?

(try it on clean channel, should be a better illustration of the differences)

No, I taped red and whtie together..... so it's really odd!

Sound Clips!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  TrueDuo.mp3 ( 5.72MB ) Number of downloads: 86
Attached File  TB_4.mp3 ( 5.66MB ) Number of downloads: 95

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:11 PM