Changing Pickups, only bridge?
ElHombre
Mar 21 2014, 03:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello, I got 2 great guitars.

However I want more modern sounding pickups in them.

Of course, for heavier sound. And Then I almost only use the bridge pickup anyway.
The neck pickup I use more for soft solo tone or clean playing and its great so I am happy with that.

Now, I got a 5 way system on both gutiars, 2 humbuckers.

What do I need to think of when only buying a new bridge pickup, having mixed brands of humbuckers (2) in one guitar...

I wont install them myself, a guitar tech will do that

Im just wondering if its possible to "mix" it up like this.

Well it maybe be very unbalanced and things like that?
For example I play with the neck pickup with an adjusted tone then switch to bridge and the speakers explode?

Haha, I have no idea
Please enlighten me smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 21 2014, 09:52 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I don't think that there's a problem here... if you feel like the new bridge pickup will be too loud, I think that you can simply lower it and thus it will pickup less vibration. That should be obvious, but maybe I'm wrong smile.gif Let's see what the other guys say wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 21 2014, 10:40 AM
Instructor
No need to be scary to experiment with pickups smile.gif Only thing to remember is to not mix active + passive pickups - both need different electronics (pot values, bridge ground wire not always connected, input jack etc...)

Unfortunately in case of pickups nothing will help better than You own experiments. My only advice is to always start experiments from most known models so You could easily but a second hand and sell it at the same price if doesn't match expectations. This way You will create Your own "box of reference".

Your question will probably make even more confusion because You will see how many different choices players did for heavier tone.

For example - I like heavy tones....but with low output pickups. The act different - more crunchy, more dynamics, less compression cause by less signal distorting the input of the amp. This works for me but few next posts will probably be about some killer output pickups which work for other people.

Calibrated sets have some profits but mixing different brands is good idea as well.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 21 2014, 11:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 21 2014, 10:40 AM) *
No need to be scary to experiment with pickups smile.gif Only thing to remember is to not mix active + passive pickups - both need different electronics (pot values, bridge ground wire not always connected, input jack etc...)

Unfortunately in case of pickups nothing will help better than You own experiments. My only advice is to always start experiments from most known models so You could easily but a second hand and sell it at the same price if doesn't match expectations. This way You will create Your own "box of reference".

Your question will probably make even more confusion because You will see how many different choices players did for heavier tone.

For example - I like heavy tones....but with low output pickups. The act different - more crunchy, more dynamics, less compression cause by less signal distorting the input of the amp. This works for me but few next posts will probably be about some killer output pickups which work for other people.

Calibrated sets have some profits but mixing different brands is good idea as well.

this guy obviously doesn't know guitar , you need a high gain monster laugh.gif huh.gif

from reading your post it looks like you would probably want something with an alnico magnet(Seymour Jb), these don't have as much gain (but darn close) and they clean up much better, of course , if you have the money you could get a boutique pickup.The JB is around 80

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Mar 21 2014, 03:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
The only thing is, it will be difficult cause you cannot really test around with this.
For sure if you are good with electronics and can try out for days and swap with your friends.
But I have to pay for an installation.

But getting a modern pickup would give me more of the sound im looking for, im sure of it, but it might not be exactly that sound you know, what i mean. But I guess I have to take that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 21 2014, 03:34 PM
Instructor
I know exactly what You mean and this is why I'm sure nothing else but Your own experiments will have any profits smile.gif

Jstcrsn - Yeah..JB is my favourite bridge pickup since years. Though never tried the vintage JB with alnico but tired some other pup's and I like the Alnico for it's fulness in case of harmonics. It's not a mid-scooped, tight metal tone but it works perfect for rock and blues. One of the next thing to try is SH2B on my list. And Yeah...one of many reasons is the was JB reacts for guitar pot clean up. Love it!

Currently have a set of 59's on it's way. Very curious about 59' in bridge position. I know how it works on the neck...but now i need to find out the bridge position

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 21 2014, 03:38 PM
GMC:er
You say you have a '5 -way' system. I assume that means a 5-way pickup selector switch which will give you some single coil sounds ("coil tap") - ?
If so, the only real potential problem could be some hum when you're in one or more of the single coil positions i.e., two singles together. This would be due to the orientation of the magnets (which can be flipped) and/or the direction of windings of one or both of the magnets in the pickup.

You seem to want a 'modern', higher gain sound.
At a reasonable price (especially if you're not completely sure what you want), the Seymour Duncan JB mentioned by jstcrsn above will get you that. So will a DiMarzio 'Air' (zone or norton).
*I have had both of these in the bridge pos of a Strat. Neither of them will get you much of a 'clean' tone but their high-gain sound is pretty great.
I (like Darius) prefer a normal or vintage output pkup because I want more versatility and detail. I eventually went back to a SD little '59 for that Strat's bridge pkup. It actually ended up sounding the 'heaviest' of everything I tried in that guitar (I had at least seven different pkups in that strat's bridge pos - full size 'buckers as well as stacked, strat size).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 21 2014, 04:09 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 21 2014, 03:59 PM
Unless the output difference is extreme, you won't have a lot problems unless you're a tone freak (and that will happen too sooner or later smile.gif ) just don't mix something very vintage and super high output.

The neck acoustically is louder so formula is like mid output neck and similar or high output bridge, the inverse of this causes balance problems.

The odds are low to find the first pickup change to be perfect alifetime, but its not like you'll need a pickup change every other day. I mean it takes time really getting to know a pickup, cause whatever pickup you but you'll always have to adjust new amp settings too etc. wink.gif

The start is always the hardest, but as you experience you'll realise it isn't a huge deal. Just don't stress much about it, most actually enjoys the experiment process smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 21 2014, 06:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Make sure you get a 4 wire pick up if you've got a 2 humbucker guitar and 5 way switch

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2014, 11:17 PM
Seconded on the JB ALNICO smile.gif Has a nice aggressive tone when pushed but doesn't turn to mud & Fizz as some high gain pickups often do. Also, it's not dark, very clear. So it's got the best of both worlds and it's very economical and easy to get.

I would also suggest looking at the DUNCAN ALTERNATIVE 8 which uses ALNICO 8 mags. It make my cheap bc rich sound wads better.

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 21 2014, 10:34 AM) *
I know exactly what You mean and this is why I'm sure nothing else but Your own experiments will have any profits smile.gif

Jstcrsn - Yeah..JB is my favourite bridge pickup since years. Though never tried the vintage JB with alnico but tired some other pup's and I like the Alnico for it's fulness in case of harmonics. It's not a mid-scooped, tight metal tone but it works perfect for rock and blues. One of the next thing to try is SH2B on my list. And Yeah...one of many reasons is the was JB reacts for guitar pot clean up. Love it!

Currently have a set of 59's on it's way. Very curious about 59' in bridge position. I know how it works on the neck...but now i need to find out the bridge position

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 22 2014, 08:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Mar 21 2014, 02:08 PM) *
The only thing is, it will be difficult cause you cannot really test around with this.
For sure if you are good with electronics and can try out for days and swap with your friends.
But I have to pay for an installation.

But getting a modern pickup would give me more of the sound im looking for, im sure of it, but it might not be exactly that sound you know, what i mean. But I guess I have to take that

That's a risk you have to take man smile.gif Why not try and ask around about the combo you wish to make? Maybe you are not the only one having Suhr guitars and wanting to place a, let's say, Bareknuckle Cold Sweat in the bridge. I would also try another thing - I think that every pickup builder can recommend various combos based on their products and the guitar you have and what sorts of styles you want to emulate.

Write them, give them all the details and see what they have to say wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:20 PM