New Power And Preamp Tubes
Rodnator
Feb 26 2008, 05:34 AM
GMC:er
Well I feel stupid because I know that I can find lots of info on the web about the topic of tubes and tube upgrades. I own a 1982 Marshall JCM800 50 watt head model 2204 I have done a complete cosmetic restoration, and it looks brand new. The head has incredible tone and HUGH volume for a 50 watt head But.. It has started to make a little noise here and a buzz there. I'm going to send it to a local reputable amp tech who is Marshall certified for a complete once over and new tubes. I bought the head off Ebay with very little knowledge of this amps history. I know the caps have been replaced recently and the impedence switch has been replaced. The USA model comes with 6550 power tubes and ecc83/12AX7 preamp tubes. My question is do the specs of the power tubes make them all sound the same, or due they vary by manufacturer? I want to keep this amp unmodded to retain value. But I would also like to get a little more gain. Can I change one or all of the preamp tubes to have more gain on tap. I would value your experienced opinions.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars : Gibson Les Paul Standard "Raw Power", Fender American Deluxe HSS QMT Stratocaster
Acoustic Guitars : Ovation 1771 LX Balladeer
Effects : Digitech Jammer Looper, Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory, Boss DD-3 delay, Keeley Modded Boss DS-1, Keeley Modded TS-808 Tube Screamer, Keeley compressor, Dunlop CryBaby Wah.
Amps : 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 50 watt Head (all original unmodified Electronics, Complete cosmetic restoration) It is the "Tone of the Gods" 1982 Marshall 1960a JCM 800 4x12 Slant Cabinet
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 26 2008, 10:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
About powertubes I think you'll end up with the same sound all over no matter the brand you use. I suggest that when you spend a lot of money on tubes you buy quality, not sound. So if you get matched quality tubes you may end up with a longer life span for the tubes and better sound since they come matched (not brand related).

Even if you'd try out different brands you'd probably get tubes from the very same factory in China anyway.

Since you're leaving it to a Marshall tech I think you've got the best person to ask right there. He'll know for sure.

EDIT: I know lots of people will say - whoa when I put those brand tubes in I ended up with a complete deifferent amp, it's so good now.
I just think the old tubes were unmatched and too worn so any new tubes would sound better. And the whoa-effect will be related to how much money was spent on tubes. If the guy switched tubes in his brand new amp the whoa-effect will be tremendous since the guy spend 200 dollars and doesn't notice the slightest change in tone but will willingly imagine a new sound to not appear as a loser. dry.gif
Avoid China, aim for USA or Russia for quality tubes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 26 2008, 10:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:34 AM