8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Announcement : Behavior Towards Instructors, All members should read this
Pavel
Dec 26 2007, 01:16 AM
Instructor
Yeah, an online coffee machine, with direct download to my coffee-mug laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 26 2007, 01:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 25 2007, 07:16 PM) *
Yeah, an online coffee machine, with direct download to my coffee-mug laugh.gif laugh.gif

And 48 hours in a day so that I can devote an extra 24 to guitar ....

But you are totally right Muris about GMC smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 26 2007, 01:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 26 2007, 01:16 AM) *

Ouch,I'm signing this biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 26 2007, 02:07 PM
GMC:er
Mind boggling that anyone would log on to a forum seeking help and then be a real snot to the people they are asking help from. And, all kidding aside, there is nothing wrong with being "super nice" to instructors (or anyone)...unless you want them to make fun of your questions in public.
Attached Image

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 26 2007, 06:34 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm may old enough enough, stupid enough, or maybe insensitive enough, not to really worry what others think about me. However I really can't understand why some might want to ask for help off someone and then in their next breath bad mouth the person/s helping them. I'd also like to have a space that my daughter could come to that I'd feel she was safe on (yea ok wen she kan spill an tiyp - unlick er dah rolleyes.gif yea rite yer .)

As Freddie, Muris, Pavel and lots of others have said, don't bite the hand that's feeding you. GMC is a great site and lets keep it that way smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

24 hour Coffee and an online machine - ohhh smile.gif . Kris - implement ASAP please biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
GrowingDown1
Dec 26 2007, 07:07 PM
Whoever the individuals concerned were obviously did not respect the fact that these instructors are not only professionals, but are here for us musicians to learn from and to better our playing with. I personally thank every one of you guys for being here for all of us. If I have a question about music, of any type, at any time, I know I can count on you all to be here and give me the expert advice and instruction I need. Thanks again GMC instructors, you guys rock!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars
PRS Custom 22
ESP EC 1000 Deluxe
Takamine EF341C
Ibanez Soundgear Bass

Effects
Zoom 7.1UT
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Facory
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Boss GT2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss BF-3 Flanger

Amp
Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 half Stack

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
Jan 20 2008, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 16 2007, 12:11 AM) *
...If I disagree with a member, I dont comment on it, I just try to respect that everyone has there own views...

Excuse me, but thats just plain wrong! By not stating your opinion about a subject that you do not agree on (hope this sentence sounded right) you kill the possibility of a discussion. Ofcourse your opinion should be constructive and argumentet

This post has been edited by Lithuanian: Jan 21 2008, 05:18 PM

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 20 2008, 10:13 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Lithuanian @ Jan 20 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Excuse me, but thats stupid! By not stating your opinion about a subject that you do not agree on (hope this sentence sounded right) you kill the possibility of a discussion. Ofcourse your opinion should be constructive and argumentet

Maybe i am just stupid smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2008, 10:14 PM
QUOTE (Lithuanian @ Jan 20 2008, 04:00 PM) *
Excuse me, but thats stupid!

Calling someone stupid (especially a senior member) is a great way of starting a fight - perhaps you'd like to rephrase that?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 20 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to step in to Lithuanians defense here. It's not the same thing to call someone stupid and to call someones opinion stupid, at least for me. HE's just stating his view, and well, he also kind of proved his points with one of the answers he got. I don't want to start a fight or anything, I just wanted to say what I though. Hope it's ok. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 20 2008, 10:17 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 20 2008, 01:14 PM) *
Calling someone stupid (especially a senior member) is a great way of starting a fight - perhaps you'd like to rephrase that?

MR FORBES! laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2008, 10:22 PM
However phrased, comments like that are inflammatory - fortunately Matt is mature enough to not rise to it. There are better ways to say these things such as "I don't agree".

I'm not disagreeing with the point made by Lithuanian, courteous discussion is great. Calling peoples opinions stupid however is not, and we will mod it accordingly.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Owen
Jan 20 2008, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 20 2008, 01:22 PM) *
However phrased, comments like that are inflammatory - fortunately Matt is mature enough to not rise to it. There are better ways to say these things such as "I don't agree".

I'm not disagreeing with the point made by Lithuanian, courteous discussion is great. Calling peoples opinions stupid however is not, and we will mod it accordingly.

Ding Ding Ding!

Round one goes to Papa Cockburn! tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 20 2008, 10:59 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 20 2008, 01:13 PM) *
...If I disagree with a member, I dont comment on it, I just try to respect that everyone has there own views...

QUOTE (Lithuanian @ Jan 20 2008, 01:00 PM) *
Excuse me, but thats stupid! By not stating your opinion about a subject that you do not agree on (hope this sentence sounded right) you kill the possibility of a discussion. Ofcourse your opinion should be constructive and argumentet

I think it is okay to disagree but in a "agree to disagree" manner. Respect is the key. If someone doesn't like Metallica don't stoop down to Youtube status and knock him/her, just accept it. That person's dislike doesn't hurt you at all, does it. So instead of saying "Your an idiot, you don't even deserve to pick up a guitar." say "What is it that drives you away from them."

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 20 2008, 11:01 PM
Each of us has our own way of responding to a heated debate. Although Matt's method may not resemble yours, he has a right to act as he sees appropriate and share his views without being subjected to derogatory statements. Matt is a respected member of this community precisely because of his calm temperment and easy going nature. Disagreement is fine, name-calling is not.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
RobM
Jan 20 2008, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 20 2008, 04:22 PM) *

I understand both sides of this conversation but it's not as easy for someone non english speaking to rerphrase something to sound "politically correct" as it would be for say me or you Andrew. For someone with little english speaking never mind writing (a whole new ball game there) abilityit's hard to say what they really mean.

I'm sure most of you know that a lot of words in the english language can be spoken as many other words in another language. So when someone says that's stupid maybe they meant that's not too bright or I disagree or thats wrong? Who knows I'm just trying to play the devils advocate here.

I've noticed since there were so many people named to be senior members/moderators some of them have the tendancy to circle the wagons and join forces really quickly whenever there is someone on the board saying something even at the fringe of the rules. If this kind of thing continues GMC could get the reputation that you are not allowed to make mistakes without having people jump on you.

I can tell you from past experience on other boards that if this proves to be the case you will end up having a lot of people who are looking for trouble come here and you mods will end up spending all of your time editing posts and issuing warnings/banning people.

I'm all for having a board free from foul language and other insults, but when the editing of posts etc.. gets to the point where the true feel and flow of the discussion(s) is affected then thats being too heavy handed. people should have the right to discuss things the way they want to within reason or else they will just sit back and ot say much of anything and then you mods will have only yourselves to read and moderate.

Lot's of us are not as gifted as a lot of you when it comes to writing what and how we feel and when I see someone get jumped on several times for saying something is stupid then I start to worry where GMC is headed. I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say here?

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2008, 11:25 PM
My initial comment was quite mild actually - more in the nature of guidance and suggestion than anything else. This should not be a surprise to anyone who has read the posting guidelines. Debate and discussion is encouraged, name calling is not, that's all. As moderators we are always walking a line between letting people interact freely, and keeping order, we take it seriously, and often agonize behind the scenes over whether to let things be or to step in. I'm gratified that several people stepped in to reinforce the point - none of them were mods or seniors. Most of the time the GMC community is self policing in this respect - I just got there first this time.

Regarding English as a second language, yes I have a lot of sympathy for that. However, if I misunderstand, then the person it was aimed at might also misunderstand. I am just trying to keep things civil and nip any potential problems in the bud.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
RobM
Jan 21 2008, 02:03 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 20 2008, 05:25 PM) *
Regarding English as a second language, yes I have a lot of sympathy for that. However, if I misunderstand, then the person it was aimed at might also misunderstand. I am just trying to keep things civil and nip any potential problems in the bud.

I understand that but correcting someone in public even the first time might make them decide to never post again and then go off and talk about their bad experience here at GMC. I feel that when it's something minor like the situation we're talking about then it should not even have been made into anything and then handled behind the scene with a PM explianing the rules and how what was said could have started something that is not wanted here and to choose their words more carefully the next time. He even asked if what he said came out correctly.

I mean you're the mod you handled it how you saw fit, it's just that when I saw it and whoever else may see it in the future they might feel like I did that it was over kill.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 21 2008, 02:04 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Maximus @ Jan 20 2008, 02:01 PM) *
Each of us has our own way of responding to a heated debate. Although Matt's method may not resemble yours, he has a right to act as he sees appropriate and share his views without being subjected to derogatory statements. Matt is a respected member of this community precisely because of his calm temperment and easy going nature. Disagreement is fine, name-calling is not.

You took the words right off my keyboard
+1

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 21 2008, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (RobM @ Jan 20 2008, 08:03 PM) *
I understand that but correcting someone in public even the first time might make them decide to never post again and then go off and talk about their bad experience here at GMC. I feel that when it's something minor like the situation we're talking about then it should not even have been made into anything and then handled behind the scene with a PM explianing the rules and how what was said could have started something that is not wanted here and to choose their words more carefully the next time. He even asked if what he said came out correctly.

Thats a fair point, but handling it behind the scenes with a PM is generally more serious and gets him a warning on his record - I was trying to take the kinder option and keep things low key believe it or not ...

Anyway, this feels weird because we're talking about Lithuanian in public and that seems wrong.

Lithuanian, what was meant to be a minor reminder about being polite has been picked up by others and blown out of proportion, that was not my intention - sorry. However my original point stands - lets all be try and be thoughtful about how we phrase our comments to others - which is in fact the original point of the original thread in the first place smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:43 AM