2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Metallica On Stratocaster?
seagull
May 14 2008, 07:02 PM
GMC:er
Hey y'all guitarfreaks!

I was wondering if playing Metallica (and the likes) on a Stratocaster is completely insane?
I mean, some of my buddies have ESP's and they say it's a lot easier to play stuff like "Battery" and "Master of Puppets" on ESP guitars as the strings are more tense when in standard tuning.
I must admit that the low E string is bouncing a little too much for me to get "Battery" tight, so I wondered if this because of the strings tension and such. After all the stratocaster IS a more bluesy guitar and the ESP's are rock-machines. tongue.gif

Well, I hope someone can enlighten me.

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
May 14 2008, 07:08 PM
QUOTE (seagull @ May 14 2008, 08:02 PM) *
Hey y'all guitarfreaks!

I was wondering if playing Metallica (and the likes) on a Stratocaster is completely insane?
I mean, some of my buddies have ESP's and they say it's a lot easier to play stuff like "Battery" and "Master of Puppets" on ESP guitars as the strings are more tense when in standard tuning.
I must admit that the low E string is bouncing a little too much for me to get "Battery" tight, so I wondered if this because of the strings tension and such. After all the stratocaster IS a more bluesy guitar and the ESP's are rock-machines. tongue.gif

Well, I hope someone can enlighten me.

Cheers!

What string gauge do you use ? For dropped d tunings or even lower it's always better to use a heavy gauge to avoid the bouncing string you mentioned

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Experienced Tone Seeker
Mmmm is not insane at all , I think its more a question of guitarrist than it is of guitar.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Enucleation
I don't know for sure if your friends are right or not, I mean ESP is a more metal guitar but I know Kirk uses Strats sometimes.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 14 2008, 07:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just put gauge 10 strings on your strat and there you go with the tension. The problem is not the string tension but the pickups. Strat Coils dont deliver that ruff distorted sound with all the palm mutes and downstrokes...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 14 2008, 07:13 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Yeh changing string gauge should solve that little "bouncing" problem. Maybe some hotter pickups if your after the metallica tone?

+Quote Post
seagull
May 14 2008, 07:16 PM
Well, I used to use .10s, changed to 9.s though... But it was the same back then...

@Coffeeman: I know it CAN be, but this time it isn't...wink.gif

@Enucleation: Yeah he does, but those are ESP strats...for all I now at least, and he doesn't use them on that heavy rhythm playing. smile.gif

@ZakkWylde: Yeah, I know, the pickups aren't metal at all, but it was also more of with the general string tension.
I can get a decent sound out of my Hot Rail bridge pickup and some pedals, it more the problem with the string-tension. They're damn bouncy biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 14 2008, 07:41 PM
Instructor
I think playing on any guitar is just a matter of personal preference. If you don't feel comfortable with strat guitar playing Metallica, then maybe you should purchase ESP too.
btw, from my point of view it doesn't matter on what guitar you play, as long it has humbuckers it is good for metallica smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
May 14 2008, 07:46 PM
Guitars have very different characters. You were asking about playability but I think sound makes the most difference... Pickups are definitely a big part of it
If you ask about playbility I think it is easier to play metallica in a strat than a Les Paul, because of the thinner neck. But I would choose the Les Paul over the strat, because then I can get closer to metallica sound wink.gif
For rock sound I would choose humbucker over single coil anytime. Mainly in the bridge. So a fat strat would do the job wink.gif

About the normal strat, with 3 single coil, I always found myself using it for clean songs. However, some people get really good distortion out of it... (not really metallica alike. Think of green day distortion)

This post has been edited by Gus: May 14 2008, 07:49 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
seagull
May 14 2008, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ May 14 2008, 08:46 PM) *
Guitars have very different characters. You were asking about playability but I think sound makes the most difference... Pickups are definitely a big part of it
If you ask about playbility I think it is easier to play metallica in a strat than a Les Paul, because of the thinner neck. But I would choose the Les Paul over the strat, because then I can get closer to metallica sound wink.gif
For rock sound I would choose humbucker over single coil anytime. Mainly in the bridge. So a fat strat would do the job wink.gif

About the normal strat, with 3 single coil, I always found myself using it for clean songs. However, some people get really good distortion out of it... (not really metallica alike. Think of green day distortion)

Yeah, I have a Hot Rails pickup up in the bridge position, so I can come closer than with the standard pickup. It's a humbucker in single coil format, and it's really HOT! tongue.gif

But I'll just go practice it even more...But the gallop-technique in Battery really makes the E string bounce 'cus it's soo fast!
I can play it alright, but the bouncing....well, theres probably no solution for that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pi38
May 14 2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah, just make due with what you have until you need to buy another guitar. Hooray for optimism!!! laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
seagull
May 14 2008, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (Pi38 @ May 14 2008, 08:59 PM) *
Yeah, just make due with what you have until you need to buy another guitar. Hooray for optimism!!! laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

Hehe, yeah, I definitely can't afford an ESP at the moment...

I can see Toni Suominen is reading this topic, I bet he can answer this question...tongue.gif

+Quote Post
at lights end
May 14 2008, 08:15 PM
metal on a strat isn't insane, iron maiden do it (ok their sound isn't as distorted as metallica).
the type of guitar shouldn't determine the string tension it has. either you need a higher string gauge, maybe a 48 on the low E. or you could have a really loose bridge. it's all i can really think of.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 14 2008, 09:24 PM
Instructor
i dont think so the problem in strato or ESP guitars .if you have a good gear you can play what you want
finally the hand and fingers and feelings make every things

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 14 2008, 09:47 PM
I will never own any other guitar other than a strat, I may change the pickups, but I have played Ibanezes, Schecters, ESPs, Gibsons, everything and my fingers always get stuck or something and the necks feel really uncomfortable while the strings on those guitars always feel really weird, I don't know. When I pick up my Fender my fingers feel so connected to the fretboard and I can play endless licks so freely. I feel that my $400 MIM strat is an amazing guitar and a Fat Strat is one of the greatest guitars in the world.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 14 2008, 09:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 14 2008, 09:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Nothing insane there smile.gif Strats are great guitar and they too can sound heavy with some modifications smile.gif smile.gif
But no I can't imagine the James Hetfield holding one smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 14 2008, 09:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 14 2008, 10:49 PM) *
Nothing insane there smile.gif Strats are great guitar and they too can sound heavy with some modifications smile.gif smile.gif
But no I can't imagine the James Hetfield holding one smile.gif

That's for sure, Marcus Lavendell has a really heavy sound and he has an Strato... well, with some modifications, but a Strato at the end tongue.gif

+Quote Post
seagull
May 14 2008, 11:51 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ May 14 2008, 10:52 PM) *
That's for sure, Marcus Lavendell has a really heavy sound and he has an Strato... well, with some modifications, but a Strato at the end tongue.gif

Yeah, but as far as I know, he mostly plays lead stuff - not heavy speed riffs like in Battery. There lies my problem, not in the amount of distortion.

When I said insane I meant like if it is "useless to practice metal on a stratocaster". I KNOW that I'm not insane and that my guitar isn't either. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 14 2008, 11:59 PM
Instructor
I don't think it is useless to play metal on strat. It is universal guitar and with some mods you can make it sound whatever you like. Perhaps you should check with some luthier about that string bouncin' - maybe it's a problem or something unsure.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 15 2008, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 14 2008, 01:08 PM) *
Mmmm is not insane at all , I think its more a question of guitarrist than it is of guitar.

There is nothing I agree more with than this. As Mick Jagger sang many years ago..."It's the singer, not the song".

edit: found a link to that old song.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U8-o0M1qDB4

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 15 2008, 12:06 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:05 PM