Mother I Go To War, epic trailer music - NO guitars :-)
OzRob
Dec 14 2010, 11:34 AM
GMC:er

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 14 2010, 11:49 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Nice piece Rob - very atmospheric smile.gif .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OzRob
Dec 14 2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks Tony. Still trying to get it mixed right. Not happy with the strings to brass balance and I would like a bit more separation between instruments, but it's a good practice piece for working with orchestra.

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 14 2010, 12:10 PM
Instructor
Wow, I love it.. especially that melody that vocal comes in at 0:30.. very unexpected and I love the intervals !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fre
Dec 14 2010, 12:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Cool man! It fits great with the subject smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 14 2010, 12:47 PM
Not sure how much of this mayl help Rob as I guess you're using orchestral samples.

AFAIK most orchestral performances used to be tracked/recorded quite simply based on either LCR or a single pair of bidirectional mics supplemented by additional mics for close, middle and distant and maybe a few overheads. You then layer and add some compression to bring it together. With LCR you have the choice of panning hard L and R or what often also works is 80% L and R. 80% may well result in fewer holes in the stereo image.

If you're working with samples try both hard panning and 80% and possibly add a little (not much) reverb on the 80% L and R just to bring up the stereo width. (Don't use too much reverb though as most orchestral recordings are recorded quite dry.) Also watch the panning law on your DAW and maybe vary it and adjust the levels accordingly.

I think the sample engines you work with should let you do the close, mid and distant variation. The knack here is adjusting the compression on the different levels to create a sense of natural dynamics and depth. Layering would need to be sample accurate but I don't think you'll have any issues doing that. It's also probably worth fader riding the entire track rather than trying to either automate or place regions. Might also be worth putting a 2bus comp on with a very low ratio of 1.2:1 and a low threshold just to glue the track.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OzRob
Dec 15 2010, 12:37 AM
Ben and Fre - thanks guys! smile.gif

Tony - thanks for those ideas. I'll play around with them and see what I can come up with. I don't have different mic positions on the samples unfortunately. I'll see what I can do.

As an aside, do you think the Waves L3 Multimaximizer would be useful for a home studio, for tracks that won't be getting mastered? I always use compression, limiting and expansion very sparingly so there'd be no danger of me going overboard with it, but just wondering if it would be worth adding to my toolbox. I can get it for a great price.

EDIT: I've done some more mixing and it sounds cleaner and the different instruments more articulate. I'll post another version some time.

This post has been edited by OzRob: Dec 15 2010, 01:36 AM

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2010, 02:30 AM
Very cool stuff wink.gif Great sense of atmosphere and space and a bit of dread. Nice!

+Quote Post
OzRob
Dec 15 2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks Todd.

Think I'm finally happy with the mix - http://soundcloud.com/cruciform/mother-i-go-to-war-final

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 15 2010, 01:21 PM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Dec 15 2010, 12:37 AM) *

As an aside, do you think the Waves L3 Multimaximizer would be useful for a home studio, for tracks that won't be getting mastered? I always use compression, limiting and expansion very sparingly so there'd be no danger of me going overboard with it, but just wondering if it would be worth adding to my toolbox. I can get it for a great price.

If you can get it for a very good price but...

TBH Rob I don't really think there is much need for a multiband limiter, just the same as I don't think there's much need for multiband compressors at the mastering stage. Get it right in the mix and broadband is more than good enough. With a multiband you could introduce phase smearing and unwanted artifacts very easily that would spoil your type of work, even for home mixing and mastering.

Personally I think there are much better software broadband limiters then the Waves L3 Multi. Voxengo Elephant and Flux Limiter are two. I think the L2 would also do a better job of limiting then the L3 multi.

LP EQs tend to be very processor hungry and so really are best for mastering, for mixing it's better to stay with a 'normal' MP EQ. I also think that there are better LP EQs then that included in the L3, including some very inexpensive ones from the likes of Melda and DDMF (neither of which we use but these two are very cheap- when we need LP we use Sonoris and Algorythmix). There's a nice software EQ from DMG Audio called Equality that offers both LP and MP and so is pretty versatile. Filters on it are also good so it sounds good.

So unless it's a real bargain I think you might be better off looking at a broadband limiter and if you need LP EQ but are on a tight budget the DDMF or Melda.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Dec 15 2010, 01:25 PM
Thank you Tony. I'll have a look at those options. I really appreciate your time and expertise. smile.gif

This post has been edited by OzRob: Dec 15 2010, 01:26 PM

--------------------
------------------------
------------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 15 2010, 01:29 PM
NP.

If you need the website addresses for any of them just ask Rob and I'll dig them out for you smile.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 15 2010, 11:50 PM
Instructor
very nice stuff!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:19 PM