3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Metal: A Headbangers Journey, saw this last night
The Uncreator
Aug 28 2007, 03:41 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Same with me, about 4 years ago i hated death and black metal as well, that was untill Cannibal Corpse, Opeth, Arch Enemy, and Death became some of my favorite bands, after just under a year of lsitening to those guys, i LOVED it!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 28 2007, 03:46 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 28 2007, 02:41 AM) *
Same with me, about 4 years ago i hated death and black metal as well, that was untill Cannibal Corpse, Opeth, Arch Enemy, and Death became some of my favorite bands, after just under a year of lsitening to those guys, i LOVED it!!

Yeah man... That was good times. I remember how exciting it was to listen to A blaze in the nortern sky. The first song we got into was In the shadow in of the horns, becuase of the awesome riffs smile.gif An all new sound and style to discover, sooo many new bands. I also bought Ragnarok - Blackdoor Miracle(freakin masterpiece) at the same time, it was kinda funny going from Maiden to Ragnarok tongue.gif They play some really fast blastbeats tongue.gif

(I still love Maiden though biggrin.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 28 2007, 08:12 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Iluha @ Aug 27 2007, 06:02 PM) *
Rokchik I like the voodoo that you do do smile.gif just today I saw an ad on an Israeli documentry channel that theill be showing that movie sometime soon, I'll be sure to watch it.

I work in mysterious ways tongue.gif

Growls and stuff of that nature are all a slow process it seems.

I HATED cannibal corpses vocals for so long but i loved the music SO much, so i bought a few albums, even though it hated the vocals, a year goes by, and i love them!!

Growling is now one of my favorite things about Music!!

So even if you hate it, just know that with time you could end up loving it!

I am keeping an open mind about the whole thing. I really like the music behind most of the black/death metal stuff but like I said the vocals just don't do it for me. Now I'm liking Trivium and Children of Bodom I must say...more my vocal speed as far as the aggression goes. So maybe there is hope yet boys...but I wouldn't hold my breath. My appriciation of metal is growing each day but I'm not gonna like everything....but I do respect it. Between this site and that documentary I've become a bigger metal fan than I ever thought I would. It's also doing my workouts wonders...the angrier the music the harder I go at the gym biggrin.gif I've already increased by bench by 10lbs.

Oh and anyone in Canada and maybe the US, The Movie Network and Movie Central are showing Metal: A Headbangers Journey 28 Aug 07. Check local listings for times smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 29 2007, 01:47 AM
Robin: Garm is in Ulver, and he's also performed vocals on some old Arcturus and Borknagar, but it's in Ulver that he really shines, and I'd say he's best on Nattens Madrigal. (He's great as clean singing aswell, especially on their newer stuff wich is some kind of avant garde electronica, if you only heard the new stuff you could never guess that they've got their roots in black metal, but that just makes me respect them even more)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 29 2007, 02:34 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Aug 29 2007, 12:47 AM) *
Robin: Garm is in Ulver, and he's also performed vocals on some old Arcturus and Borknagar, but it's in Ulver that he really shines, and I'd say he's best on Nattens Madrigal. (He's great as clean singing aswell, especially on their newer stuff wich is some kind of avant garde electronica, if you only heard the new stuff you could never guess that they've got their roots in black metal, but that just makes me respect them even more)

Thanks, maybe I'll check them out some time.

Electronica you say? Something like Dødheimsgard? Sounds interesting.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 29 2007, 02:44 AM
I haven't listened to Dødheimsgard, but from what I've read the last 2 minutes, I take it they still sound metal? Anyways, Ulver don't, here's an example of "new" Ulver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSjaf3aa2M...ted&search=

And yeah, I really recommend listening to at least nattens madrigal, I'm sure you'd love it, it's not overproduced synth stuff (if the fact that he's been in Arcturus makes you less interested, just wanted to make that clear:P)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 29 2007, 02:57 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Aug 29 2007, 01:44 AM) *
I haven't listened to Dødheimsgard, but from what I've read the last 2 minutes, I take it they still sound metal? Anyways, Ulver don't, here's an example of "new" Ulver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSjaf3aa2M...ted&search=

And yeah, I really recommend listening to at least nattens madrigal, I'm sure you'd love it, it's not overproduced synth stuff (if the fact that he's been in Arcturus makes you less interested, just wanted to make that clear:P)

I saw that video on the TV not long ago. That band used to be black metal you say...? blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cqbeaARRp0 this is Dødhemisgard. They used to be totally old school black, but I also like their newer stuff.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 29 2007, 03:13 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Aug 29 2007, 03:57 AM) *
I saw that video on the TV not long ago. That band used to be black metal you say...? blink.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cqbeaARRp0 this is Dødhemisgard. They used to be totally old school black, but I also like their newer stuff.

Wow, I really like Dødhemisgard, I definetly have to listen more to them, thanks!

And concerning ulver, that was all I could find on youtube, after some more looking, I found a better electronica song by them that sounds more "ulver" to me.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/befe8930-d940-4e...Lost-In-Moments

And, I even found two black metal songs by them, take your pick:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/f24d20a2-f872-40...Wolf-And-Hatred

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a17d0f5e-cd5f-4e...-%5BUntitled%5D

Yes, they used to be black metal. biggrin.gif And I really love the fact that they've changed instead of doing the same old thing for too long as some bands tend to do. (But I still would love a new black metal album by them rolleyes.gif )

And rokchick, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread like this, but.. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 29 2007, 03:21 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Aug 29 2007, 02:13 AM) *
Wow, I really like Dødhemisgard, I definetly have to listen more to them, thanks!

And concerning ulver, that was all I could find on youtube, after some more looking, I found a better electronica song by them that sounds more "ulver" to me.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/befe8930-d940-4e...Lost-In-Moments

And, I even found two black metal songs by them, take your pick:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/f24d20a2-f872-40...Wolf-And-Hatred

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a17d0f5e-cd5f-4e...-%5BUntitled%5D

Yes, they used to be black metal. biggrin.gif And I really love the fact that they've changed instead of doing the same old thing for too long as some bands tend to do. (But I still would love a new black metal album by them rolleyes.gif )

And rokchick, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread like this, but.. unsure.gif

Wow thats cool. They even got a saxophone! This stuff was cool.

WOW, the black metal stuff was also really, really great! I love the sound. Great vocals indeed. I still think Noturno Cultos vocals kicks everyones asses though smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 29 2007, 04:29 AM
Nocturno Culto = Ownage.

First time i heard Darkthrone i was like "Wow, this is just dark, scary and mean.....i love it!"

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 29 2007, 04:46 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 29 2007, 03:29 AM) *
Nocturno Culto = Ownage.

First time i heard Darkthrone i was like "Wow, this is just dark, scary and mean.....i love it!"

And its actually pretty easy to listen to. I'm glad they never did those super fast blast beats and palm muting. I do like bands that does that aswell of course.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 29 2007, 05:14 AM
It just makes Darkthrone more unique.

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Aug 29 2007, 11:06 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 28 2007, 03:41 AM) *

I'll end up doin the same too, the thing is I wanna listen to the black/death metal bands with awsome musicianship for example Death is one of my favorite bands. But not a big fan of the singing. I love there newer cds (Sound of Perseverance, Symbolic etc) Beause nothing beats the drumming (in my book) of Richard Christy and Gene Hoglan. And Chucks Melodic guitaring just adds to the awsomeness. But it seems some other death metal bands I found out about aren't to great. so I've been limiting myslef to the Death/Black metal bands I listen to. But maybe Uncreator and Robin can suggest some black/death metal bands with some awsome guitar and drum work? Might help me get use to the gutteral vocals. The kinda bands like Death, Bodom, Lamb of god, Arch enemy. that would be cool

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 29 2007, 05:06 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Aug 29 2007, 12:06 PM) *
I'll end up doin the same too, the thing is I wanna listen to the black/death metal bands with awsome musicianship for example Death is one of my favorite bands. But not a big fan of the singing. I love there newer cds (Sound of Perseverance, Symbolic etc) Beause nothing beats the drumming (in my book) of Richard Christy and Gene Hoglan. And Chucks Melodic guitaring just adds to the awsomeness. But it seems some other death metal bands I found out about aren't to great. so I've been limiting myslef to the Death/Black metal bands I listen to. But maybe Uncreator and Robin can suggest some black/death metal bands with some awsome guitar and drum work? Might help me get use to the gutteral vocals. The kinda bands like Death, Bodom, Lamb of god, Arch enemy. that would be cool

I'll try to recommend you some if that's ok!

First of all, since you like Arch Enemy, try some In Flames. Yes, I said in flames, check out Lunar Strain and Subterranean at least, two great albums, after that they got worse (even though everything up untill colony is good enough for me to listen to it sometimes). If you want more melodic death metal (a good place to start if you don't like growls, since the rest of the music is so.. melodic wink.gif , the latest Dark Tranquillity record is great, and check out Avatar aswell. Allthough, I don't know that much about melodic death, but that's just what's supposed to be good, and the stuff I've listened to at least a bit..)

Opeth, you have to check out Opeth! Amazing guitar work, killer drums and what I would consider the best death metal vocals in the world, it's what got me into growling for real, and it might just do that with you aswell biggrin.gif

http://www.esnips.com/doc/fe38b805-0318-48...48f/Opeth-Bleak

For black metal, Ulver will always be my first recommendation, but I doubt I'll even have to mention them more in this thread tongue.gif But be sure to check out the classical stuff like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Immortal, etc. And you could always try some Dissection, they're great aswell.

And last but not least, I have to recommend my favourite death metal band to you, Bloodbath, amazing vocals, good guitar works, and funny lyrics smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 29 2007, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Aug 29 2007, 06:06 AM) *

I reccomend everything in the post above me plus these....

Amon Amarth, incredible Melodic Death with a Viking Theme, they have some amazing riffs and cathcy melodys!!
and nothing beats the snychronized headbangs!!

Amon Amarth - Runes To My Memory
Amon Amarth - Death In Fire

Another band i would reccomend is Wintersun, hard to categorize them, Melodic Death/ Speed Metal is closest, AMAZING guitar play, theres clean and scream vocals, the clean ones are great! (Second Vid)

Wintersun - Beyond The Dark Sun
Wintersun - Death And The Healing

Necrophagist, Technical Death Metal, i think you will find the guitar work very interesting, some amazing technique and sense of melody Muhammad Suicmez has. and it is just BRUTAL!!!

Necrophagist - Extreme Unction
Necrophagist - Intestinal Incubation
Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge
Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge Solo
Necrophagist - Crystal Mountain

The last one is just fun to watch, but the sound quality isnt as good as the others sad.gif

ill add more when i get home, im off to school right now!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Aug 29 2007, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 29 2007, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Aug 29 2007, 10:06 AM) *
But maybe Uncreator and Robin can suggest some black/death metal bands with some awsome guitar and drum work?

The best black metal bands are those that don't have awesome guitar work and drums tongue.gif Thats alot of what black metal is about imo. But there are of course bands that plays crazy aswell.

These are my favorites anyway:

Darkthrone - Simple and so amazing that I dont have words for it. Buy any album and you'll be happy, but the earlier stuff is best, always.

Bathory - Black metal from 1983... This is like the first black metal band, maybe Venom was first, but this is what I would like to call the first "real" black metal band. This is also pretty simple, but AMAZING! If you buy this and expect black metal, then you have to buy the four first albums. The rest is in my opinion just viking piece of crabcake. Hit first four albums are as black as it gets.

Burzum - Also very simple, but this band is a little different than the others. This is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY beauitful and amazing. Varg also got a really special vocal. But beware, he have two albums that is only synth. I would recommend Det som en gang var and Aske. Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss are also great, but they only got like 3 songs that are worth listening to. But those songs are so good that its absolutely worth buying it.

Immortal - I think its a little more drum and guitar work here. Cheesy lyrics, but everything else is really awesome. I think any metal fan could love their albums At the Heart of Winter and Sons of northern Darkness. The old stuff is also really, really, really great. Abbath also got very unique vocals imo.

Mayhem - This is alot more heavy than the ones above. Awesome super kewl riffs and crazy drum work, also GREAT vocals. Their earlier work is best without a doubt. Deathcrush(their first album) is AMAZING, and so is Mysteriis dom Satanas. I like Chimera too though, its pure energy, heavy as hell. Just turn your stereo volume really high and start headbang biggrin.gif

Aura Noir - Black Thrash. What more can I say. Its awesome and unique.

Gorgoroth - I dont know what to say, becuase this is so AMAZING! In some ways their music is similar to Darkthrone, but still they got a very different and unique style. Both bands have the simplest and best riffs ever, and still not so much fast drums. Gorgoroths newer albums are imo just as good as the old.

Khold - These guys dont sound like any other black metal band(that I have heard atleast), this is also very simple but awesome.

If you want speed and guitar work, check out The Legion and Ragnarok. Stay away from Ragnaroks first album though, its called "Nattferd".

Satyricon - Their first albums, like Shadowthrone, is really good. You sort of want to go outside in the woods and expect to find trolls while listening to it tongue.gif
This is something I think any metal fan could like. These guys are probably a bit more melodic than most other black metal bands.

The bands I mentioned now is just like the most popular. There are thousands of other great bands.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BUdmd6aZ16w - Darkthrone, this is from one of their absolutelly best albums: Under a funeral moon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kxqurTWXc-s - Bathory, from the album Under the sign of the black mark. My favorite from him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gWynJCi_DSY&...ted&search= - Burzum, AMAZING song! If you want to hear the most beautiful melodies ever, listen trough the whole song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h15AT6MuLis - Immortal, Tyrants! From their latest album. I love this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1GHun4fKH4Q&...ted&search= - Mayhem. AMAZING song from their first album, Deathcrush. My favorite from them. (This seems to be a homemade video, not by Mayhem btw)

Didnt find anything for Aura Noir.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xl2ccnbs2fo - Gorgoroth, from their latest album.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oCWNq4WYrvw - Khold.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=77uBU-IEabE - Ragnarok. This is from their amazing album, Blackdoor Miracle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xV8LpUEdpBI - Satyricon. A really amazing song smile.gif

Edit: Lol, sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away tongue.gif Maybe the youtube links would have been enough biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 29 2007, 10:16 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 30 2007, 02:30 AM
Also, check out a CD called "Fenriz presents the best of old school black metal". Lots of great bands.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 30 2007, 03:28 AM
I have to add this in terms of Black Metal!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSSqAF-VdU

1349 !!!!

SCULPTOR OF FLESH!!!

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 30 2007, 03:32 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 30 2007, 02:28 AM) *
I have to add this in terms of Black Metal!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSSqAF-VdU

1349 !!!!

SCULPTOR OF FLESH!!!

1349 is pretty cool yeah. I really like the name.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 30 2007, 04:02 AM
everytime the clock strikes 13:49 hit a Grim Pose!!

thats 1:49 for peope not on military time or whatever its called.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:05 PM