Some Vids Of My First Stage Performance, Milestone 1 complete
SirJamsalot
Sep 18 2011, 09:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Some of you might remember that I had a few goals that I set out to accomplish. I got to accomplish the big one today - play and sing a live performance. We did a set of 8 classic rock songs - Summer of 69, Psycho Killer, Livin after midnight, Live forever, Proud Mary, Middle of the road, Bad Moon Rising, Learn to fly and knockin on heaven's door. This was an Art and Wine festival in Lafayette, California on a pretty big stage. It was in the morning around 10:30 a.m. pretty hard to sing that early smile.gif

Playing outdoors was a *new* experience altogether. Playing in a practice room, you have sound surrounding you. Outdoors, we were situated about 3 feet behind the PA system so the wall of sound was in front of us - people in the audience said it was loud, but all I could hear was the drummer, and whatever came out of my floor monitor which was medium level mix of all the other mics and instruments. I didn't have to wear ear-protection because the volume on stage was pretty tame. It was little odd to get used to.

Below is a picture of the stage and 3 videos of the performance. I'm the guy with the beard and Ibanez geetar. I sang "Learning to fly". I miffed on one of the lines, but managed to recover.

Our drummer came up to sing Live Forever! It was pretty cool to seem him step and sing.

I sang Learning to Fly

Our main singer on Middle of the Road

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 18 2011, 07:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow congratulations man! smile.gif
I watched the video where you sing and you did a great job. This is a valuable experience and you can't practice stage playing (to get used to variables in sound) anywhere else then playing lots of gigs.

Any new ones in plan?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 18 2011, 08:04 PM
GMC:er
Thumbs up, i enjoyed

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 18 2011, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Great performance, you have great voice !

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 18 2011, 10:15 PM
GMC:er
That's cool, I'm happy for you smile.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 19 2011, 12:32 AM
Instructor
that sounded great man!! congrats! nice gig! your voice sounds great, like it has personality, try to expose as much as possible with no filters!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2011, 01:00 AM
Instructor
Great performance! Congrats! I love that Foo Fighters song and you sang it very good! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Blister
Sep 19 2011, 01:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great job, SirJams! You guys sound great! You have raised the bar for a Rock Star Wannabee like me! Congrats! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Blister: Sep 19 2011, 01:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 19 2011, 04:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback. I plan on doing as many shows as I can - there really is a huge difference between playing on stage and in the practice room - so many variables came into play that I didn't even consider - I've never played an outdoor event before. I want to learn and experience as much as I can about every aspect of live performance.

I think we have another show (smaller in scale) lined up for a few months from now. This performance really kind of snuck up on us - I found I had to learn the lyrics to 3 songs in 2 two weeks, and I learned during that process that it's not enough to just memorize the lyrics if you're a guitarist - you have to memorize AND play them and give yourself a few days for the lyrics to really settle in so they become automatic.

There's a huge amount of context shifting when you're playing AND singing - you start with "what chord do I need to play next, and prepare for", followed by, "what lyrics are next"

I specifically recall a moment in the show where I was singing "Living after midnight" - the lyrics go

Got gleamin chrome, reflecting steel - loaded, loaded
ready to take on every deal - loaded, loaded
my pulse is racin, I'm hot to take
this motor's revved up, fit to break

So I start riding the open E chord while singing "got gleamin chrome, reflecting steel"
while I'm singing that line, I'm actually thinking of the third line "my heart is racing, ready to take", because that has been a line that I was forgetting during practice, and if I forget that line, then I lose my place - so I'm spending that time riding the E and singing in auto mode, searching for how the chord change progression "G" to F# is sung way down in the 3rd line.

It really is amazing how the mind can split tasks like that - but during all the practice, I find my self being able to do it to some extent.

So yeah - playing AND singing is a whole different experience and if you've never really done a whole song yourself, I highly recommend you try it simply for the sake of expanding your ability to project what you need to play / sing ahead of time before you actually reach that moment in the song. You'll find yourself doing it, and it locks your song into muscle memory - real automatic mode.

Cheers

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Sep 19 2011, 04:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 19 2011, 05:48 AM
Instructor
very nice gig dude, im checking out the videos, i love learn to fly, you guys did a great job!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 19 2011, 06:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Sep 18 2011, 09:48 PM) *
very nice gig dude, im checking out the videos, i love learn to fly, you guys did a great job!

haha. thanks.

CHECK OUT THE GALLERY - The tie die tapestries in the background were AMAZING
http://ckersey.smugmug.com/Music/Band/Lafa...6129705_6hZPJcz

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 19 2011, 09:57 AM
Instructor
Well done, Chris ! You did 3 awesome things in one guy.. play live, sing live and do all that on an outdoors gig ! cool.gif

I love outdoors gigs.. I've only ever done one but I can't wait to do more.

It is always shocking though how you can lose your way up there because of the sound. It happens to me all the time with solos that I could normally play blindfolded ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:56 PM