New (old) Guitar, In a closet for 51 years
klasaine
Oct 4 2016, 08:29 PM
GMC:er
This axe was literally in a closet for 51 years.
It's a Sears "Silvertone" model 1457. 1965 - they were only made for 2 or 3 years.
The case has an amp built into it.
Mine is probably a sales demo model/prototype. The father of a friend of mine worked for Silvertone in the 50s and 60s in Chicago. This was presented to him as a gift. He, nor anyone else in his family played - so it sat for 51 years.

Pics ...

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Video ...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 4 2016, 08:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Oct 4 2016, 08:38 PM
Experienced Rock Star
"Pretty cool" is a major understatement smile.gif. How's the action?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 4 2016, 08:53 PM
Jaw dropped! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 4 2016, 09:33 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
What a great find! Congrats Ken! The coolness factor is strong with that little piece of history. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 4 2016, 09:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
That looks great fun. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 4 2016, 10:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
aw man that is awesome... just pure awesome ohmy.gif
it sounds great as well.

as Mertay said, Jaw Dropped!!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 4 2016, 10:42 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Oct 4 2016, 12:38 PM) *
"Pretty cool" is a major understatement smile.gif. How's the action?

Not bad and it has a 'neck-tilt' adjustment under the heel that actually works.
It's a big fat neck with a relatively flat radius and big frets.
I need to re-string it as it has the original (or at least from the mid 60s) E A D and G strings on it.

There are lots of these and similar models out there but very few in as good condition ... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...57&_sacat=0

If you're patient (here in the states) you can score a pretty good deal on Silvertone, Tiesco, Kent or other 'department store' brand guitars. You gotta scour the auction sites and be knowledgeable about what you're buying. Thankfully, due to the internet, the info is out there.
Right now, these guitars are not really in vogue. Jack white is kinda over and so is St. Vincent so the 'cool factor' is low and so are the prices (relatively speaking).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 4 2016, 10:52 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2016, 11:00 PM
Where on earth do you find this pristine stuff?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 4 2016, 11:10 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 4 2016, 03:00 PM) *
Where on earth do you find this pristine stuff?

Ha, ha! The same way you find all the Ibanez stuff brother. You have an eye for what to look for. I'm also very VERY patient.
L.A. has a ton of guitars in it not being played. And for now, it's a buyers market. The vintage market is way down on most things except '59 LPs and '54 Strats (and celebrity pieces).

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2016, 06:25 AM
I hear ya smile.gif Persistence and keeping one eye open is always a good thing. You just never know if it's gonna be a pawn shop, music shop, garage sale, ebay, etc. It does take a certain level of keen interest to be sure smile.gif If I weren't such an Ibby nut, I'd probably miss half the stuff I've owned.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 4 2016, 06:10 PM) *
Ha, ha! The same way you find all the Ibanez stuff brother. You have an eye for what to look for. I'm also very VERY patient.
L.A. has a ton of guitars in it not being played. And for now, it's a buyers market. The vintage market is way down on most things except '59 LPs and '54 Strats (and celebrity pieces).

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 5 2016, 09:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah , great !!!

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 5 2016, 06:08 PM
Wow!!! Awesome find mate!!!
Congrats!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:15 AM