2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ibz Or Dimarzios?
fatb0t
Jan 19 2008, 08:46 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, I've posted before about getting a new guitar - but the money is finally accumulating and looking like it might happen (assuming my Epi Korina Flying V sells on eBay).

It's it's going to be Ibanez or a new 2008 Dean.

Quick question, I want a Ibanez prestige model, they seem to have suprerior craftsmenship...however some come with IBZ pickups and some with DiMarzios...are the Dimarizios worth the extra cash?

mmm sexy: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2570E

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 19 2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, they are def worth the money smile.gif.

IBZ pickup are not very good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 19 2008, 08:59 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Dimarzios are SOOOO good, they sound beautiful, ive use them for lead and it sounds superior!!!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 19 2008, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Ibz are not that bad - but if you're going for a good guitar pick the DiMarzio - they are awesome smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 19 2008, 10:16 PM
My ibanez had IBZ's in it and they were a decent set of pups but the Dimarzio's are superior.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 19 2008, 10:42 PM
Instructor
DEMARZIO 100%

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 19 2008, 11:24 PM
That answered my question, thanks very much guys. I figured as much...

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 20 2008, 01:34 AM
Mine are Dimarzio/IBZ. What does that mean?

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 20 2008, 01:55 AM
Made for Ibanez by Dimarzio, those are okay, but I would still suggest looking around for top of the line pickups. DiMarzio/IBZ remind me of dogs. Theres pure breeds, DiMarzio, and ones that have been mated together, DiMarzio/IBZ. They sound good don't get me wrong but you'll love the sound if you pick out your own pickups imo.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 20 2008, 03:47 AM
QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Jan 19 2008, 06:55 PM) *
Made for Ibanez by Dimarzio, those are okay, but I would still suggest looking around for top of the line pickups. DiMarzio/IBZ remind me of dogs. Theres pure breeds, DiMarzio, and ones that have been mated together, DiMarzio/IBZ. They sound good don't get me wrong but you'll love the sound if you pick out your own pickups imo.

Ahh, I see, thanks. smile.gif Does everyone here recommend just Dimarzio or possibly something like an EMG?

Btw, I see that you have a RG2550e; me too. It's one killer guitar smile.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Jan 20 2008, 03:48 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 20 2008, 03:59 AM
I personally prefer a Dimarzio or a Seymor Duncan. EMG's are active pickups that definately give you a distinct sound. EMG's are popular with many big name guitarists though and are generally well suited for Metal/Hard Rock. I like the wider range of tones you get from a passive pickup. Just Google a search for "active versus passive pickups" and you will get a bunch of opinions on the topic. It's really a matter of taste.

This post has been edited by Maximus: Jan 20 2008, 04:00 AM

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 20 2008, 04:44 AM
I just read some about active and passive pickups, and active pickups sound like an absolute pain in the you know what. I'm reading up on some dimarzio's right know, and I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing about the Evolution pickups (what Steve Vai uses). Thanks for the advice.

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 20 2008, 09:35 AM
I think the ibz pickups are probably the best 'stock' pickups out there. They're definetly better than Yamaha & Epiphone, and as good as ESP-EMGs.
However, I'd definetly buy a set of Seymour Duncans biggrin.gif
DiMarzio are awesome too, though.

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 20 2008, 09:50 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jan 19 2008, 10:47 PM) *
Ahh, I see, thanks. smile.gif Does everyone here recommend just Dimarzio or possibly something like an EMG?

Btw, I see that you have a RG2550e; me too. It's one killer guitar smile.gif

Yes, it is I love it as well. Take a look at the Dimarzio Tone Zone, Evo's, Evo2, paf fred/joe, Norton.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 20 2008, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Jan 20 2008, 09:35 AM) *
I think the ibz pickups are probably the best 'stock' pickups out there.

I found the epi's stock pickups to be much smoother, and less harsh. Was very suprised!

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jan 21 2008, 06:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jan 20 2008, 11:07 PM
arent ibz pickups made by dimarzio?

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 20 2008, 11:12 PM
They might be, but they are all the cheap materials that dimarzio wouldn't use if they do happen to manufacture them.

So they might be the "Squire" of dimarzios, and they don't put their real name on it.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jan 21 2008, 06:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 21 2008, 08:53 PM
The IBZs in my RG are not going to get updated as I'm leaving it completely stock (20th reissue, well I did put strap locks on it). That said, the IBZs do not pack as much punch as my Evos, but they certainly don't sound any cheaper, just different. I'd definitely play the IBZs before upgrading to DiMarzio's simply for the name. The Ibanez INF pickups are horrid. IBZs are quality pick ups.

That said, I've owned EMGs and Seymour Duncan Live Wires. Active pickups are fantastic, if you're into that kind of music. The EMGs have a super distinctive sound that you can place pretty much played through anything (that means guitar and rig), so if you've a cheap/mid level guitar and love metal, an EMG is a great bet. If you've a high end guitar with good quality wood, you'd be better off with a really high output passive. The Seymour Duncan Live Wires are my favorite pickup I've played. They can get the crunch and squeal you're after like the EMG, but boast a more subtle sound when played cleanly. They're a pain to install into guitars that aren't routed for having actives, perhaps, but if you play metal, you'll be pretty satisfied with them.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 22 2008, 01:01 AM
^Metal and shred is basically all I play, but if what I read was correct, don't active pickups require batteries? I play at least 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more. Would it be incredibly expensive to do this?

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 22 2008, 01:13 AM
It should not be that expencive, I think they last like 3000 hours on one battery.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:41 AM