Hd Drive Raid Connection Help
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 8 2013, 12:51 AM
Instructor
Guys I need help with the following problem:
I have two identical Seagate Baracuda (500GB) HDD. How to set them up in RAID ?? Yeah, mainboard have controllers, but I've never done it before, so I do not want to screw up something. Is there anyone here who has done it and can instruct me how to do that ?? And Finally - RAID 0 or RAID 1 ?
I found a bunch of sites on this topic but nothing concrete, step by step unsure.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 8 2013, 03:08 AM
GMC:er
It would really depend on what you were using the system for. They both have their pluses and minuses.

RAID 0 will provide the highest bandwidth if you are going to use it for recording your music onto. This would be the fastest drive configuration as not to cause so much overhead while trying to stream your music to it, it also would be recommended for video production. However the biggest issue is that if one of the drives fail then you lose all of the data where as RAID 1 although slower and not so much recommended for high bandwidth applications as mentioned above, will provide fault tolerance if you lose 1 drive, then the other would contain all of your data and you could just replace that drive and all would be well. It may also be possible to hot swap if you have a hardware controller.

So in short...

RAID 0 = Fastest drive access for media streaming and high bandwidth applications, but zero fault tolerance... all data lost if one drive fails.

RAID 1 = Slower access, but fault tolerant if you lose one drive, just replace that drive and you are done.

Hope this helps some.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 8 2013, 09:56 PM
Instructor
Thanks man. I intend to use it for the audio / video production wink.gif !! The situation is resolved, with a little help from my friend !
As I thought, the setting was a bit tricky but we managed to handle it ! - RAID 0 works like a charm wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 8 2013, 10:22 PM
GMC:er
that is probably the best for you then just make sure to do backups. smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:48 PM