Hit A Brick Wall...
Nathan333
Aug 1 2008, 01:04 PM
GMC:er
Yo guyzz,

I've been playing for just over a year now and this is my second summer playing guitar... The problem is that I seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall sad.gif. I don't seem to be improving very much and am starting to find practising is becoming a real chore. I've tried creating a few practise routines but I'm seriously doubting how much they are really helping me improve. This is especially frustrating since it's halfway through my 8/9 weeks long summer holiday and I've basically wasted half of it with a few half-hearted practice sessions here and there. I was really hoping to get alot better. Last summer was the first time I picked up a guitar and I improved massively over the holidays, my motivation to play was incredible. I just don't know how to get that motivation back. sad.gif

Anyone got any ideas on more effective practise routines/ways to get motivated again? Maybe a good book or dvd?

Ur advice will be greatly appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
kaznie_NL
Aug 1 2008, 01:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Nathan333 @ Aug 1 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Yo guyzz,

I've been playing for just over a year now and this is my second summer playing guitar... The problem is that I seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall sad.gif. I don't seem to be improving very much and am starting to find practising is becoming a real chore. I've tried creating a few practise routines but I'm seriously doubting how much they are really helping me improve. This is especially frustrating since it's halfway through my 8/9 weeks long summer holiday and I've basically wasted half of it with a few half-hearted practice sessions here and there. I was really hoping to get alot better. Last summer was the first time I picked up a guitar and I improved massively over the holidays, my motivation to play was incredible. I just don't know how to get that motivation back. sad.gif

Anyone got any ideas on more effective practise routines/ways to get motivated again? Maybe a good book or dvd?

Hey Buddy, long time no seen tongue.gif

I'd say, create some more fun. I think having fun is what you started for in the first place tongue.gif Play the songs u played before, or get some new tabs. It's good to play songs. Maybe do some new lessons. I'd definatly NOT go with a practice routine for the first weeks. The routine won't give you fun, and that's what you need. I believe there's a big article on fun during practice on UG.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 1 2008, 01:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well when you are staring you can witness a huge improvement over time (because you are new to everything)...After that improvement isn't that much noticeable but its there !! I am pretty sure that you are progressing every time you practice..Maybe you just don't notice it..What I would suggest is writing down goals , like techniques that you want to develop or theory.After you pick few of them , make a practice plan with exercises (lessons) for their development.Be focused , and don't stretch your self too much, pick only few things at a time..

About the motivation part, well it can be anything from watching a cool concert , to jamming with friends , band etc...

We all sometimes feel down and not motivated...maybe a simple break from playing (few days) gets you back on track!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nathan333
Aug 1 2008, 02:37 PM
Thanx for your responses so far, good to hear from you guys again, it has been a long time.

Both of your answers have some cool ideas, I'm starting to feel more like playing already!

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 1 2008, 05:13 PM
I don't remember where I heard/read this quote, but it went something like this

"When progress seems to stop you are just about to reach a new breakthrough."

Also what seems to help (to me at least) to change the things you practice every few days, and to come back to where you got stuck before a few days later, you will probably notice it goes a lot smoother then.

+Quote Post
Nathan333
Aug 1 2008, 06:36 PM
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 1 2008, 06:13 PM) *
"When progress seems to stop you are just about to reach a new breakthrough."

Thanks man, that is a pretty inspiring quote smile.gif I am really beginning to see a way out of this. Cheers guyz!

+Quote Post
inertia
Aug 3 2008, 05:50 PM
when i get a bit bored with my practice routine I study some theory and work on improvising with the new theory that i learned or I try and learn a new song that is challenging, learning new tunes is a great way to break up monotony

+Quote Post
black and white
Aug 3 2008, 06:00 PM
Yo have received some excellent advice here....Totally agree on having more fun and also just because you do not see improvement does not mean that you are not moving forward. I also agree that hitting a brick wall is usually what happens before you take a large leap forward.
One thing to keep forefront in your mind is that people do not learn in a linear fashion. As we learn, we hit natural plateaus that can be frustrating. I have always seen success, by taking a step back, concentrating on what you can do well, and building up your confidence. Also, learn something new so you will see a progress on something you never tried before. This will help with motivation. if you like metal, try some blues, or vice versa. When you retunr to what you really like, you generally find yourself better at it, because it is familiar.

Anyway, congrats, looks like you are going to move the next level if you keep practicing.

And keep it fun

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 3 2008, 06:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
http://ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general...ine_or_fun.html

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 3 2008, 10:17 PM
QUOTE (Nathan333 @ Aug 1 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Yo guyzz,

Jamming is the best practise there is. Learn the majorscale, download jamtracks. That's it.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 3 2008, 10:38 PM
Instructor
I was always weak when giving
advices for practicing routine,
just because I never had any. mellow.gif

But as a motivation it's always good
to watch some players you admire a lot,
listen to their playing,
trying to reproduce what they are doing etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Aug 4 2008, 11:10 PM
Instructor
Practicing could be veeery boring but is something we need sometimes. I used to have various routines, one for the electric guitar, one for the acoustic guitar, one for keyboard and one for piano. But all these routines had some space to have fun. Eventually the routines became fun because there were not only exercises, I made the routines with the technical difficulties of the songs/themes I liked. It could be a Symphony X intro (like Smokes & Mirrors to work over the sweeping and alternate picking through arpeggios) or The Flight of the bumblebee to work the picking and resistance.
The important thing for me is that you have to remember that working so hard in a simple thing is not always the best way. Have you ever practice an exercise for days then you get tired and let the guitar in the closet, and after a week you came back and the same exercise you couldn't play miraculously is played very well? This is because the brain can re-elaborate the things you practice and if you let the brain assimilate them the process could be more relaxing.
I recommend you a book Fundamentals Of Piano Practice by Chuan C. Chang, there are some usefull advices for a good practice.
smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 6 2008, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Take it easy I say and don't worry so much. We all have these moments when we wanna throw away teh guitar out of the window - at least I do. FOrtunately those moments last short periods of time and I get back on track really fast. What you encountered is a classic period where you find that a lot of work needs to be done and you have a lot to practice in order to achieve that. Perhaps, and I say perhaps you maybe got your goals to high.

I always say - try to think small when practicing guitar, and be modest about it. If you really like playing and practicing the guitar - you will advance. Try not to think think about practice as some kind of chore and here is how. It would be best to think of it as something you can do in your spare time for 15-30 minutes. Take a notebook and write down what you did today, and what you will do tomorrow, but keep schedule more short term oriented - never write down in advance what you will practice for next few months! This will only get you demotivated.

15-30 minutes pass really fast, and you will always find the time for it. + all those thign you write in notebook over a period of one month for example will later help you to develop more efficient routine. And when you look all the things you've been practicing you will know how much you improved. Also approach all practicing like this :

IT IS NOT THE SPEED YOU'RE AFTER IT'S THE TONE.

Then when practicing some extra fast speed runs you will FIRST look out to have your tone sorted out, no buzzing, extra noise etc, and then speed will come in time more easily.

I hope this helps mate, cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 6 2008, 08:27 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:39 AM