Hum, Buzz And Any Other Noises In Guitar Rig, Have any tips? Had problems and solved it? Share Your knowlege
Darius Wave
May 8 2013, 10:48 AM
Instructor
Hi folks!

I would ask You to share some of Your guitar rig issues that have been solved and how You solved the problems.

Very common issues are the ground loops or problems with electro-magnetic fields. For example I'm a user of two veeeery popular things - Behringer FCB1010 midi controller and a Cry Baby GCB Wah Wah. I like to use the wah pedal with my right foot (some firends prefer the oposite). FCB1010 has a built-in power supply. Transformer is very close to the expression pedals and...to the wah. Now...wah pedal has a coil that is really sensitive for external electric and magnetic fields. FCB's transformer do make ones and affects the wah.

I found it while I was absolutely shure of getting rid of any ground loops, but still had some annoying hum on distortion. Pulling out and rotating the wah gave information that the information that there must be an interference with some electric/magnetic field. The closest generator of that kind of field was the FCB's transformer.

My power supply section is in the oposite, left side of the pedalboard. I asked my friend to make me external power supply so the built-in transformer would be "bypassed"....AND IT HELPED. Now even when I set extreme level of distortion to make test, I can hear only the natural and adjustable noise without any hum and buzz....

This is very important while working on stage with high volume levels.

So...if You have a hum, You use some device with buil-in transformer close to the Was pedal this could be reason of Your problem. cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
klasaine
May 8 2013, 03:58 PM
GMC:er
- Decent cables especially the 'patch' cables between pedals.
- High quality power supply.
- Some pedals are quietest ONLY with a battery (not just older ones either - I have a Demeter compressor that really only like a 9v.)

*You can shield the inside of your Wah with copper tape or paint like they do to the inside of a solid-body electric guitar.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/i...p/t-389051.html
A lot of good info here.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 8 2013, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Yeo...the things You mentioned are a must but sometimes You do them all, check twice and still something is wrong...That's how it was in my case. Wah was shielded but the field was to strong.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 8 2013, 07:48 PM
And sometimes there's nothing you can do about it. There are a few clubs here in Los angeles where I will not bring a guitar with single coil pkups (strat/tele). The power is just too dirty.
An electric guitar, all wiring and cables are antennas. They attract 'noise' - it goes with the territory.
One of the reasons Pete Cornish effects, Klon and Landgraff pedals, and high end power supplies are expensive is that they help reject interference from radio signals, wireless stuff, your other pedals, the lights, a microwave oven, etc.

*Sometimes I use one of these ... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-...reduction-pedal

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 8 2013, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2013, 08:18 PM
I've got some pretty serious hum/buzz in my current home studio related to the wiring in walls. I"m not sure it's up to code but every outlet seems to have the same issues. I"ve been using two rocktron hush units stacked together to fight it.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 8 2013, 05:48 AM) *
Hi folks!

I would ask You to share some of Your guitar rig issues that have been solved and how You solved the problems.

Very common issues are the ground loops or problems with electro-magnetic fields. For example I'm a user of two veeeery popular things - Behringer FCB1010 midi controller and a Cry Baby GCB Wah Wah. I like to use the wah pedal with my right foot (some firends prefer the oposite). FCB1010 has a built-in power supply. Transformer is very close to the expression pedals and...to the wah. Now...wah pedal has a coil that is really sensitive for external electric and magnetic fields. FCB's transformer do make ones and affects the wah.

I found it while I was absolutely shure of getting rid of any ground loops, but still had some annoying hum on distortion. Pulling out and rotating the wah gave information that the information that there must be an interference with some electric/magnetic field. The closest generator of that kind of field was the FCB's transformer.

My power supply section is in the oposite, left side of the pedalboard. I asked my friend to make me external power supply so the built-in transformer would be "bypassed"....AND IT HELPED. Now even when I set extreme level of distortion to make test, I can hear only the natural and adjustable noise without any hum and buzz....

This is very important while working on stage with high volume levels.

So...if You have a hum, You use some device with buil-in transformer close to the Was pedal this could be reason of Your problem. cheers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:03 AM