> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

Unleech Musical Unleashing
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2013, 08:22 AM
Instructor
Crazy thread name? biggrin.gif Thought so too tongue.gif

Well, out of what I noticed, your right hand picking technique needs some cleaning up as well as your hand sync at some points, this is why, I would like us to start with the following two lessons in the displayed order:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch-II/

Please focus on the following aspects:

1) Right hand

- as little movement as possible
- pick ONLY from the wrist
- the picking motion has to be strictly down up, down up... in a vertical plane

2) Left hand

- move away from the neck as little as possible - the larger the movements the more difficult it will be to catch speed smile.gif

Play slow until you can nail each and every detail and then record them - deal?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Unleech
Jun 21 2013, 10:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Cosmin,

The title rocks, yeah biggrin.gif

Indeed, you're right, I admit I have to correct some very basic aspects of my picking. Back to basics, deal ! smile.gif
Focusing on having the left hand staying the closest to the fretboard is something I have never focused on, I admit...

I will practice seriously that stuff and post when I am ready. (I have very important deadlines at work though, so I'll do what I can)

Thank you for your help, I'm very grateful and super motivated. Let's rise!

Unleech

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 21 2013, 07:22 AM) *
Crazy thread name? biggrin.gif Thought so too tongue.gif

Well, out of what I noticed, your right hand picking technique needs some cleaning up as well as your hand sync at some points, this is why, I would like us to start with the following two lessons in the displayed order:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch-II/

Please focus on the following aspects:

1) Right hand

- as little movement as possible
- pick ONLY from the wrist
- the picking motion has to be strictly down up, down up... in a vertical plane

2) Left hand

- move away from the neck as little as possible - the larger the movements the more difficult it will be to catch speed smile.gif

Play slow until you can nail each and every detail and then record them - deal?

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 22 2013, 07:55 AM
Instructor
I am here and I got your back mate! Looking forward to your post smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jun 22 2013, 07:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm practicing.
Though I admit I've always had issues with strict alternate picking, because of inside picking. When upstroking and downstroking the next string higher.
I am more confortable with economy for that type of runs (I would like to develop that one too), but I think it's also important to try and master strict alternate for many licks.

So I'm practicing and taking my time with that right issue.

I'll be back with the results! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 23 2013, 09:01 PM
Instructor
Hehe, mate - don't run away from things wink.gif face them and conquer them. Alternate picking and legato are the most important picking techniques in my opinion, simply because you will encounter them in 90 % of the situations. If you have any questions until finishing the lessons, by all means, do ask! I am here to help smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jun 27 2013, 02:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey dude,

I've been practicing quite a lot and methodically these lessons (except the third). Strict alternate picking gives me hard time (the out picking thing...), and I've never practiced it HARD to have a very proper technique. So, I try to do my best, I practice very slow until I get it. I'm really motivated to FACE things I don't know how to do properly. I already see results, it's very rewarding.
I'll keep practicing, and show you as soon as I feel ready. I don't want to rush.

Besides, I think I've practiced so much picking this last week, that my right forearm, and my hands (almost everything to sum up) hurt a little bit. Don't know if it's guitar, or table football, or both of them biggrin.gif
So I'm taking a little break !

I would like to record a close video of my right hand doing speed picking, in order to have your feedback on what's good/bad. Is it possible ? May help to point out weaknesses or bad moves before I practice too deeply.

Seeya,

Arthur

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 23 2013, 08:01 PM) *
Hehe, mate - don't run away from things wink.gif face them and conquer them. Alternate picking and legato are the most important picking techniques in my opinion, simply because you will encounter them in 90 % of the situations. If you have any questions until finishing the lessons, by all means, do ask! I am here to help smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 28 2013, 08:01 AM
Instructor
Not only that it is possible, I would really ask you to do it! smile.gif The more I see, the more I know -> the more I can help you wink.gif

Take it easy on the practicing and ALWAYS warm up before playing - DO NOT in any case push yourself towards the point of pain. When you feel pain, it is a way in which your body is telling you that you're doing something wrong. Stop, cool down and start again slower.

You see, if you focus on playing with good timing, good articulation, clean and with intention all at slow speed, which is gradually raised when you feel comfortable, the results will astound you smile.gif

Please send me the close up video, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jun 28 2013, 08:54 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I started practicing with a blindfold. I've never done that before. It really makes me focus on the sound, and trying to point out what is wrong with each run, rather than the moving of the fingers. I think it's really helping!

Ok, I'll record something next time I practice, on saturday I think.

Arthur

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 28 2013, 07:01 AM) *
Not only that it is possible, I would really ask you to do it! smile.gif The more I see, the more I know -> the more I can help you wink.gif

Take it easy on the practicing and ALWAYS warm up before playing - DO NOT in any case push yourself towards the point of pain. When you feel pain, it is a way in which your body is telling you that you're doing something wrong. Stop, cool down and start again slower.

You see, if you focus on playing with good timing, good articulation, clean and with intention all at slow speed, which is gradually raised when you feel comfortable, the results will astound you smile.gif

Please send me the close up video, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 29 2013, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Hey man! Wow biggrin.gif You like challenges huh? I will keep this in mind!

Now, playing blindfolded, is a good way of practicing AFTER you have developed your muscle memory, not before smile.gif

Focus on what your fingers/hands are doing and after you have played perfectly with all your senses aware - sight, in our case - blindfold yourself, ok? Looking forward to see the vid smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jul 3 2013, 02:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sorry for not posting the video. In fact I captured one, and the quality is bad, we can't see anything. A new cam is coming, I wait for that.

Meanwhile, I keep practicing! I even built my own exercices, I am working on, at the same time as yours. They are focusing on the inside picking that I really don't like. I need a lot of work, but I'll eventually get where I want smile.gif

I have a question regarding practicing the "good way".
Let's say I'm working on a lick, a riff or something. I can play it at tempo 60, almost effortlessly, it's fluid and my hands are not contracted or I don't feel discomfort. Now at 65, there problems come. My hands are contracted, and after a few runs they start to tire, and it becomes harder and harder. I can almost play the lick, but it's not perfect and I am not "effortless".

I know that the second is not good, it shows that more practice is needed, to reach the "effortless" level, without contractions. However my question is the following :
According to you, where is the "sweet spot" I need to work on, in order to be the most efficient in the learning process? Is there at the level I start struggling, or the one I am comfortable with? Do I have to work more where I am comfortable so that it spreads to near tempo, and then rise it ? Or do I have to tackle the tempo I don't master? But I am afraid of creating bad habits, as the playing is "contracted" and not relaxed.

What do you think ?

I am quite aware of the process of learning, however, I would like to have your point of view and your experience, in order to optimize it as much as I can. I have read books on "developping talents" and stuff like that, I learnt many things and it is very interesting and motivating.

Thank you!

Arthur

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 3 2013, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Hehehe! Good question man! I will tell you my thoughts in a video wink.gif Stay tuned!

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jul 3 2013, 03:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have so much techniques I need and want to work on ahah...

I also want to work a bit on sweep picking, and chord changing. I want to go back to basics. I am not that bad at sweep picking, but my technique is not really solid and accurate enough...

I picked up two exercices you gave by video on the forum.

In one you talk about chord changing, and the other sweep picking. I have lots of problems with chord changing as I started VERY late being interested about chords... Let's say I used power chords only for 5 years ahah... But now I understand the importance and richness of them, and I want to integrate them in my playing. But my chord changing needs a lot of work. I don't succeed in "instant" changing chords, with all the fingers at the same time. That's why I need to work on that specific technique.
So I will practice the exercice you gave "with mikey".

And then, you gave a pretty useful exercice, for sweep picking (and economy). Just 3 strings coming and going pattern : string 3 2 1 1 2 3 3 2 1 ...
Very useful. I got aware that I don't manage this one, although it is pretty simple.

So I'll also work on both of them, at the same time as the "picking" one you gave me.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 4 2013, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Good call man smile.gif I will go shoot the video for you in a few minutes and we will start the discussion like this wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 4 2013, 01:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 3 2013, 02:04 PM) *
Hehehe! Good question man! I will tell you my thoughts in a video wink.gif Stay tuned!

here we go:

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jul 4 2013, 04:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello man,

Thank you for the explanation, and taking the time for making a video smile.gif
I was already doing the "push the limit and then come back", and I also read a post here on GMC.

However, I admit I may have been a little harsh by increasing the tempo by 5bpm.
I will proceed as you tell me.
Maybe doing cycles of 5/10 reps at fixed tempo, and 1bpm increase between cycles, with a range of 3 to 5 bpm. I'll try this !

Arthur

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 5 2013, 08:36 AM
Instructor
Hey man, for some people 5 BPM can feel right, for others it can feel a bit too much - for instance, Petrucci recommended people to increase the tempo with 8 BPM each time, when practicing his exercises on the Rock Discipline DVD. I think it's more of a 'try what works best for you' and make a rule out of that wink.gif

Show me some vids and we'll see what's what from there!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jul 5 2013, 09:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yeah, you're right.

I'll record something tomorrow.

Arthur

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 5 2013, 07:36 AM) *
Hey man, for some people 5 BPM can feel right, for others it can feel a bit too much - for instance, Petrucci recommended people to increase the tempo with 8 BPM each time, when practicing his exercises on the Rock Discipline DVD. I think it's more of a 'try what works best for you' and make a rule out of that wink.gif

Show me some vids and we'll see what's what from there!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jul 5 2013, 01:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have other question concerning practicing.
I was reading a post here on GMC about practicing routines, and I saw a person quoting Tom Hess:
1. Determine your maximum playing speed for a technique and then, calculate your respective percentages.
2. Practice at 30%-25% of your Max speed for 5 consecutive sessions.
3. Practice at 50% of your Max speed for 3 consecutive sessions.
4. Practice at 60%-65% of your Max speed for 3 consecutive sessions.
5. Practice at 80% of your Max speed for 5 consecutive sessions.
6. Practice at 90% of your Max speed for 7-10 consecutive sessions.
7. Practice at 100% for 7-10 sessions.
8. Re-evaluate your max speed.
9. When comfortable do 3 practice sessions rotating:
• Session 1 = 60%
• Session 2 = 80%
• Session 3 = 90%
10. After each session play at 100% for a few minutes.
11. Measure your new speed, adjust metronome speeds accordingly.

I am wondering, for practicing essential techniques such as alternate, sweep etc... If I am dealing with it the right way.
When I practice, in general I spend most of my time practicing at a speed right below my "max speed". When I feel it's too weak, I get the bpm lower. However, I have never established some kind of plan like quoted before.
Maybe practicing really slow compared to the max speed would be more beneficial. Maybe practicing at fixed speed, starting from low, and sticking to it all a session (even if it feels "ok") would help build a more accurate and sound technique.

Instead, my approach is: I often start at a bpm where I am comfortable (which is in general lower than the session before, because I am not as warmed up), then I practice, then when it is really comfortable, I increase the bpm.
For instance, for this inside picking technique, I often start at 50/55bpm, then go back to 45, then 50, 55, 60. And the next session is similar, and the next...

I guess it is an alternative to the quoted one. Do you think some way are better than others ?

Thanks,

Arthur

This post has been edited by Unleech: Jul 5 2013, 02:00 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 6 2013, 08:58 AM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif I tend to stick to the procedure you are using although the one showed at first, seems to be a little bit more methodical. Why not try it and see if it gives you results which are better and more obvious than the ones you got using your method? You should pursue with the best one. There is no wrong or right, there is only that which works best and in order to find that - try both and compare the results - ice cold and you will see what to go with smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unleech
Jul 6 2013, 03:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey mate,

Here is a take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMoeJHgJro...eature=youtu.be

Didn't play an exercice you gave me, I do runs that emphasize the picking runs with inside picking.

Tell me what you think.

Arthur

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:29 AM