Lesson request: Harmonics in the style of Mattias “IA” Eklundh.
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 11 2007, 05:13 AM
GMC:er
This is the technique IA uses that I’m talking about:

No picking. Mattias slightly depresses the vibrato bar, quickly whips the harmonic node with his fretting hand’s middle finger, and uses his ring, pinky, and sometimes thumb (over the top of the neck) to mute the surrounding strings, and then releases pressure on the vibrato bar, allowing it to return to its original position. Here's a page on his site where he briefly discusses it.

For those of you who don’t know, Mattias is the lead guitarist/singer for Freak Kitchen, and he also has two solo guitar albums that were released on Steve Vai’s record label, Favored Nations. More recently he has been in a trio with bassist Jonas Hellborg (IA is essentially replacing Shawn Lane) called “Art Metal Trio” (their first album should be out very soon).

Here are a few examples of IA's unique style and solo instrumental music:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 11 2007, 08:08 AM
GMC Founder
IA is the man. And that particular thing is something I have borrowed from him. The last gmc Kirk Hammet style video does exactly that. A 101 lesson on it is a perfect topic. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Jan 11 2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I’m having trouble with it. I can’t seem to get my coordination / accuracy together enough to make it work most of the time. I wana keep at it though, because Eklundh’s harmonic range just appeals to me much more than most other player’s. I’d like to be able to throw those in whenever I want, and use them in phrases sometimes like IA does. Not base my whole style around it like Mattias, but still have the sound available to me.

+Quote Post
Screech1989
Jan 12 2007, 05:41 AM
Heh heh, it's too bad I can't do that with my current guitar, strings would go out of tune after a few uses of the whammy bar. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 16 2007, 06:16 PM
GMC Founder
The tricky thing with this is - even if you are c really comfortable doing them - you also have to remember a whole new system of notes. IE on some frets you have 3-4 for notes when doing these harmonics... blink.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:05 AM