Tapping Advice
AIB234
Mar 13 2007, 10:43 PM
GMC:er
I just started learning to tap last night but I'm having trouble with the initial hammer on with my right hand.

It's not loud at all. I've tried hitting the fretboard much harder, but it makes no difference.

It gets louder as my notes get lower, so is this how it's how going to be when I play on frets 15+ or is there any advice people can give me to make it louder?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 14 2007, 03:06 AM
What string gauge are you using? I have an SG set up with 13's and high action. I use it for slide guitar and blues playing. I've been trying to figure out tapping for a few months now and it just isn't possible on that guitar (at least not until I develop the finger strength).

A few weeks ago I bought a strat knockoff set up with 9's and a low action. The tapped notes are probably 90% of the volume the picked notes are now.

As far as I know, the only way to get any amount of volume from tapping - aside from using a compressor - is to develop your finger strength.

If anyone knows a shortcut, I'd love to hear it because my tapping is dependent on string gauge.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AIB234
Mar 14 2007, 03:09 AM
I don't know the exact gauge, but I have Elixir Lights... so they're not heavy by any means.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 14 2007, 03:11 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hmm, i never ran across this problem, maybe when you hit the string your finger slides to either side of the string, muting it. try to make sure its a direct hit, and that your using enough strength

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 15 2007, 03:48 AM
You gotta get used to it. Ive been tapping so much with my right hand im starting to get a calcus( sp) on my middle finger ( and index " Van Halen style " wink.gif ) but it just takes some getting used to I guess I try not to have the amp any louder the 4 or 5 otherwise if its to loud i feel like im kinda cheating. Getting a good feel for tapping is a bit easier to me when I have a idea how to play it in song. The best approach for this is on freelicks.net playing the crazy train solo. Gives a nice mix of legato and speedpicking as well as tapping

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
beebo
Mar 17 2007, 05:09 PM
you know i had the same problem and never could fix it. So now I use the actual pick to tap and it's very loud and to me it's easier to play faster. On the down side I'll need more practice on my tapping w/ switching strings sad.gif but I get a brighter and louder noise w/ my pick if that's any help. good luck wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:25 PM