Bass Recording Tips?
Jouve
May 12 2013, 12:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Yay cool.gif
Attached Image
And all the collection for now. Now i gotta recover some bass chops wink.gif
What do you think guys is the best way to record bass? Maybe some eq tips regarding bass in a mix? How to make it sound great with the drums?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jouve: May 12 2013, 12:13 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 12 2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
wow, I have been trying to buy a Bass guitar for a long time to record songs for my band. Just can't get one.

Bogdan has some bass lessons on the site if you want to try them out. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner_Walking_Bass/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
May 12 2013, 02:40 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jouve @ May 12 2013, 03:12 PM) *
What do you think guys is the best way to record bass? Maybe some eq tips regarding bass in a mix? How to make it sound great with the drums?

Nice buy !!

Maybe I'm wrong but looks like your bass already have eq knobs. But Bogdan knows these things better for sure wink.gif

I have Kramer 4 string bass with non active pick-ups. I usually load tones from Guitar Rig 5 and tweak it with ezmix2 and high pass filter.

Here's good video about recording and eq'ing.

This post has been edited by WeePee: May 12 2013, 03:47 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 12 2013, 10:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Congrats on getting that bass, it looks amazing! smile.gif

You'll be pleased to know that recording bass is somewhat easier then guitar.

My signal patch is Bass>DI unit>audio interface (preamp)

You want to record as clean as possible bass tone. Dial in enough mids in your tone (usually a flat setting on the bass guitar on board EQ will work).

Once you have the bass track in your computer, you wish to add a compressor to it and EQ the whole track. Usually, you would want to apply a high pass filter in the sub-bass frequencies to avoid too much bass and clear up the overall track and leave space for the kick drum. I would also cut the really high frequencies and add a bit of "body" somewhere in the upper mids, you need to experiment until you find a sweet spot. Avoid space effects like delay, reverb or modulation like chorus - it usually doesn't work well with the bass. Pan it dead center and you should have a foundation for the song. What you will also notice that bass and drums on their own don't sound that good (due to cutting frequencies etc), but once other instructors like guitar settle in you should be able to hear how bass occupies "only its space" and sits well in the mix. Experimentation is the key.

I would suggest using a good preamp and/or DI unit for getting your bass sound into your computer.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Jouve
May 13 2013, 10:14 AM
Learning Roadie
Heh, that's just what i expected to hear. Quick and informative answers. Thanks a lot guys! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 15 2013, 09:05 PM
GMC:er
Not much to add, great post BOGDAN!!!!! That pretty much covers it to be honest. Make sure you get enough clean signal in to the computer or you will play hell trying to boost it and put in wads of noise. If you adequate clean signal going in, it makes everything else work better for that track once its in the mix.

Todd

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 12 2013, 05:53 PM) *
Congrats on getting that bass, it looks amazing! smile.gif

You'll be pleased to know that recording bass is somewhat easier then guitar.

My signal patch is Bass>DI unit>audio interface (preamp)

You want to record as clean as possible bass tone. Dial in enough mids in your tone (usually a flat setting on the bass guitar on board EQ will work).

Once you have the bass track in your computer, you wish to add a compressor to it and EQ the whole track. Usually, you would want to apply a high pass filter in the sub-bass frequencies to avoid too much bass and clear up the overall track and leave space for the kick drum. I would also cut the really high frequencies and add a bit of "body" somewhere in the upper mids, you need to experiment until you find a sweet spot. Avoid space effects like delay, reverb or modulation like chorus - it usually doesn't work well with the bass. Pan it dead center and you should have a foundation for the song. What you will also notice that bass and drums on their own don't sound that good (due to cutting frequencies etc), but once other instructors like guitar settle in you should be able to hear how bass occupies "only its space" and sits well in the mix. Experimentation is the key.

I would suggest using a good preamp and/or DI unit for getting your bass sound into your computer.

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
May 16 2013, 06:47 AM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 16 2013, 12:05 AM) *
Make sure you get enough clean signal in to the computer or you will play hell trying to boost it and put in wads of noise.

Oh yes that's some crucial info.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2013, 05:47 AM
GMC:er
That one bit of info is really important. That one little thing can change more than one would imagine. Good eye!!! I'm sure everyone has played hell trying boost a weak/dirty signal. It's how I found out about using recording dry and making it work, that is today, I found out the hard way smile.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ May 16 2013, 01:47 AM) *
    Oh yes that's some crucial info.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:44 PM