Anybody From The Detroit, Michigan Area?
Mudbone
Jun 6 2013, 11:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
So I might be moving to the Detroit area with my company for a six month period. I'm not getting enough hours where I'm at now so I'm pretty much just following the work.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Detroit, let me give you a brief synopsis of the city:
- It has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country
- 70 percent of murders go unsolved
- Its one of the most segregated cities in the country
- It has the nations highest unemployment
- It probably has the nations highest wealth disparity
- Large portions of the city have been abandoned
- It has short mild summers and long brutal winters

Doesn't seem like a place one would want to move to, right? Well this is why I'm posting this. I want to hear from any of you that live or have lived there what you like about the area.

Just from looking online, it seems that despite its rough reputation, many parts of the city are in fact very nice. It used to be a very rich city, so some of that still remains. Some of the architecture in the city is truly incredible; ostentatious monuments are all over the place. Of course, its also one of very few cities that has abandoned skyscrapers ohmy.gif

It is also within close proximity to many other cities, such as Chicago, Toronto, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh. I like to travel and explore new places, so this is an asset to me.

Share your thoughts, if you have any biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 6 2013, 11:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 6 2013, 11:05 PM) *
So I might be moving to the Detroit area with my company for a six month period. I'm not getting enough hours where I'm at now so I'm pretty much just following the work.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Detroit, let me give you a brief synopsis of the city:
- It has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country
- 70 percent of murders go unsolved
- Its one of the most segregated cities in the country
- It has the nations highest unemployment
- It probably has the nations highest wealth disparity
- Large portions of the city have been abandoned
- It has short mild summers and long brutal winters

it has also been heavily controlled by liberal politicians( who I think have run it into the ground) for many years, but it has to make you kinda wonder huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 7 2013, 01:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well buddy that kinda sucks I've been to Detroit long time ago and it was run down and shady. I know people from there hat live here and they say most a good portion of residents just abandoned it. But they are trying hard to build up the economy there. My personally I wouldn't go there for anyone unless it what a short time for something that would help only a career

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 7 2013, 02:51 AM
GMC:er
It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. My uncle lives just outside of Detroit in a city called Ferndale. Lived there I want to say 25+ years, not a single issue and I believe he still works in the city. I was there about 15 years ago visiting my uncle when my cousins graduated high school. It wasn't to crazy, but I'm sure we were on the nice area. laugh.gif But all areas have a good and a bad so I wouldn't discourage anything.

As for places to go while there. 4 Hours gets you to I believe Chicago and Pittsburgh, 2 Hours to Cleveland. So actually not to shabby to take a weekend off and visit other major cities.

I actually live near Youngstown, Ohio which was noted back in the 50s and 60s as Murdertown. laugh.gif But that back when Gangster and car bombing was real. It's a pretty failing area also, almost like Detroit with Steel Mills/Car Manufactures owning everything but slowly died off.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 7 2013, 03:38 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 6 2013, 09:51 PM) *
It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. My uncle lives just outside of Detroit in a city called Ferndale. Lived there I want to say 25+ years, not a single issue and I believe he still works in the city. I was there about 15 years ago visiting my uncle when my cousins graduated high school. It wasn't to crazy, but I'm sure we were on the nice area. laugh.gif But all areas have a good and a bad so I wouldn't discourage anything.

As for places to go while there. 4 Hours gets you to I believe Chicago and Pittsburgh, 2 Hours to Cleveland. So actually not to shabby to take a weekend off and visit other major cities.

I actually live near Youngstown, Ohio which was noted back in the 50s and 60s as Murdertown. laugh.gif But that back when Gangster and car bombing was real. It's a pretty failing area also, almost like Detroit with Steel Mills/Car Manufactures owning everything but slowly died off.

This is a part of the US that interests me, because of its history and its people. It also seems like its similar to my hometown of Worcester, MA - rundown with old factories everywhere laugh.gif

I also kinda miss being close to another country. Where I'm at right now is about 600 miles to the closest border. Being that far from another nation seems to have an effect on people, it creates a sense of isolation.

I also like to ride motorcycles, preferably on nice winding roads biggrin.gif Last time I had a transit at the Detroit airport (which is surprisingly one of the nicest airports in the US) I noticed that it was completely flat and all the roads were laid out in a grid sad.gif Please tell me there are more interesting landscapes elsewhere...

Anyhow, I can never hear about Youngstown without this song popping in my head.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:49 AM