About Computer Noise
Mertay
May 15 2015, 10:21 PM
GMC:er
I had this firewire pci thingie connected to my PC since the day I assembled it. Since I wasn't using my firewire soundcard anymore I decided to remove it and clean the computer while at it.

It always had some funny noise since day 1, sort of like old modem noise. Took it down to manageable levels after some windows tweaks but it was always there. I thought it was somehow related to the graphics card or fan...

After removing it no more noise+the screen colors are noticeably more lively now huh.gif

Amazing such a simple pci card can do to somehow unrelated things...I also know from friends even graphics card or cpu fan's can cause extra noise and its advised to use better fans instead of what you get free with cpu's.

Keep your PC clean tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 15 2015, 10:21 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 16 2015, 12:04 AM
Yup! One component can make everything noisey smile.gif Some times you gotta pull bits out and turn bits off to see where all the noise is coming from. Having a laptop running on battery and a direct input is one of the few reliable ways I've found to isolate the issues to an instrument.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 16 2015, 12:05 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 16 2015, 07:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
I was totally stressed about my first computer which made a terrible noise like an old dying car biggrin.gif

Last year when I upgraded my PC, I also resolved the noise problem. I bought a very good and silent fan and also a new silent power supply unit. Now the funny thing is that my comp don't make any noise. Sometimes I start my PC but I forget to start the monitor and I go to make a coffee. When I comeback I push the start button again because I don't hear any noise biggrin.gif
Also very often (every two weeks) I use my vacuum cleaner (I hope this is the word in english) to clean the PC inside.

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 16 2015, 01:37 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ May 16 2015, 06:15 AM) *
Also very often (every two weeks) I use my vacuum cleaner (I hope this is the word in english) to clean the PC inside.

I also do that but once very 3 months smile.gif it really depends where its placed though, the higher the better. Also when using vacuum, careful as the fans (cpu etc.) shouldn't spin much and cleaning cotton is better for fans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 16 2015, 05:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 16 2015, 12:37 PM) *
I also do that but once very 3 months smile.gif it really depends where its placed though, the higher the better. Also when using vacuum, careful as the fans (cpu etc.) shouldn't spin much and cleaning cotton is better for fans.

I use the vacuum with the absorption power button switched on minimum. Sometimes I also use cleaning cotton swab.

I don't have the PC placed higher but even if it's on the floor it don't have time to collect dust so fast. I'm just a little obsessed and all the things (including millions of cables) which are placed in my music room have a special cleaning treatment from me. It's like a quarantine room biggrin.gif People need special authorization from me to enter there and touch things biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:48 PM