Appreciate it when used originally, Otherwise dislike [ 3 ] ** [21.43%]
Appreciate it when used originally, Otherwise don't care [ 8 ] ** [57.14%]
Don't care regardless of usage [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Total Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
The Uncreator
Apr 7 2011, 03:15 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So as most of you know, Rhyming is a very common occurrence in all forms of music. However, I feel that the majority of the time its too much of an obligation to create attention. Rhyming to me, I only use if its on accident, if I happen to write something that rhymes, then fine. There are a few cases where I use alliteration (Different than rhyming) but that's about it.

I just find that if I am trying to write lyrics based on it rhyming with how the previous line ended, or the line before (depending if its an AABB or ABAB structure or whatever) then its not natural, And when I hear it sung, it just feels like filler to me.

I find when you write, regardless of structure or rhyme, and arrange later, that it feels more natural, simply better. I think it also allows you to delve into more complex structures and content.

I know many of my favorite bands rhyme, and many more don't, and some go either way. But where do you sit?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 7 2011, 09:43 AM
Instructor
Very good point ! A lot of bands do tend to have that approach of rhyming for rhyming's sake.. expecially the more commercially minded ones.

It doesn't bother me if songs don't rhyme.. as long as everything is as it should be, not contrived in any way then it will sound good smile.gif

Iron Maiden are a good example of a band that has gone to both extremes... some of their songs really do have the rhyme approach.. but then there's some that just don't.. especially in their latter years.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 7 2011, 11:55 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I don't care about rhyme's as long as the song is great cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 7 2011, 12:55 PM
GMC:er
Personally I don't mind whether things rhyme or not. It's more about the meter and if that fits.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 9 2011, 05:07 PM
Instructor
Rhyming all lyrics can be cool, if done properly, but so can rhyming some lyrics. Anyway is good, if done good. People often thing that if they rhyme anything, it will sound cool, that's not true. It's hard to make a rhyme, harder than making a occasional rhyme.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
quadrium
Apr 9 2011, 09:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
I try to make ryhmes always when i'm writing lyrics, i kinda obsessed with that biggrin.gif But lately i realized that if you can tell what you want to tell properly in your lyrics, rhyming isn't very very important.

Dogukan,

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 10 2011, 10:25 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I would say that I appreciate a good rhyme. Besides I love fantasy/medieval storytelling - stuff like that. Rhyming contribute to the mood of the song often.

Having said that, sometimes rhyming can be "the easy way". When I was less "inspired" it was easier to find/match words to rhyme and write lyrics that way. But when one is "less inspired" I advice not to write at all - yields best results biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
Apr 10 2011, 01:16 PM
GMC Administrator
I have to admit I enjoy a song when it does rhyme because I feel like it has a much better flow. If the lyrics however are forced then I don't prefer the song. I agree, I love the art of story telling and listening to music is just that for me most of the time, at least with the good stuff. I think just spoken sentences that don't connect can be a bit forced as well. Some of Bob Dylans prose seems a bit forced to me.

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:53 PM