What's Your Opinion On Modern Metal Bands?
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Since I am a HUGE fan of the new breed combining progressive and alternative metal, I am curious to know what do you guys think of such bands like Tesseract, Periphery, Dead Letter Circus, Karnivool, The Butterfly Effect or metalcore acts such as Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, In this Moment (they have the best and hottest looking female vocalist I've seen so far biggrin.gif)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ZakkWylde
Nov 19 2010, 01:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't really dig those more progressive bands but I am a big fan of the Metalcore Genre (As I Lay Dying, Killswitch) and I like the so called New Wave Of American Heavy Metal aswell (Trivium, Lamb Of God, Machine Head).

In fact I combine these two styles and play them with my own band^^

I absolutely HATE the Deathcore scene that is popular right now: No groove and breakdowns after breakdowns -.-

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Nov 19 2010, 01:59 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 02:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 19 2010, 12:58 PM) *
I don't really dig those more progressive bands but I am a big fan of the Metalcore Genre (As I Lay Dying, Killswitch) and I like the so called New Wave Of American Heavy Metal aswell (Trivium, Lamb Of God, Machine Head).

In fact I combine these two styles and play them with my own band^^

My bands are a combo between these two genres biggrin.gif one is rawer and heavier and the other is a little less heavy but it features complex orchestrations. Where can I listen to your band and how is it called? smile.gif I don;t like deathcore either smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 19 2010, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 19 2010, 02:08 PM
Instructor
I'm not into them too much, I like progressive stuff like Opeth

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 19 2010, 02:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
http://www.myspace.com/officialpoi

We don't have any of our good songs recorded so far as we are saving up for a professional Studio 5 Song EP next year...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 02:15 PM
Instructor
I'll listen to it when I get home (right now I have no sound available sad.gif ) if you like killswitch that's awesome biggrin.gif I've seen them live last year in Germany and I was blown away biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 19 2010, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 12:46 PM) *
Since I am a HUGE fan of the new breed combining progressive and alternative metal, I am curious to know what do you guys think of such bands like Tesseract, Periphery, Dead Letter Circus, Karnivool, The Butterfly Effect or metalcore acts such as Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, In this Moment (they have the best and hottest looking female vocalist I've seen so far biggrin.gif)

Interesting question Cosmin.. and great to have you here at GMC and see you in the forums !

Most of those bands I don't know but in reference to modern metal.. it doesn't really do it for me. I think it's all a bit too well produced, with triggered/or sampled drums and a bit, I don't know... machine like. I miss the passion and honesty of the classic metal bands, and the sound of the albums.. where each record had it's own audio personality. It was all about wearing your heart on your sleeve when metal was younger... but now it's become what it rebelled against.. fashion. All the records now could have come from the same factory. A bit like McDonalds. But that's not to say that there isn't real talent because there is.. it's just not as evident because there's a big shiny veneer on metal albums that smells of money and status these days.

However, I'm not saying I'm right.. it's just an opinion and I totally respect what other bands do. Maybe I'm just a boring retro guy ! wink.gif

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 19 2010, 01:08 PM) *
I'm not into them too much, I like progressive stuff like Opeth

Me too ! smile.gif What did you think of Watershed though ? I prefer Ghost Reveries.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Nov 19 2010, 02:44 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 19 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Interesting question Cosmin.. and great to have you here at GMC and see you in the forums !

Most of those bands I don't know but in reference to modern metal.. it doesn't really do it for me. I think it's all a bit too well produced, with triggered/or sampled drums and a bit, I don't know... machine like. I miss the passion and honesty of the classic metal bands, and the sound of the albums.. where each record had it's own audio personality. It was all about wearing your heart on your sleeve when metal was younger... but now it's become what it rebelled against.. fashion. All the records now could have come from the same factory. A bit like McDonalds. But that's not to say that there isn't real talent because there is.. it's just not as evident because there's a big shiny veneer on metal albums that smells of money and status these days.

However, I'm not saying I'm right.. it's just an opinion and I totally respect what other bands do. Maybe I'm just a boring retro guy ! wink.gif

Me too ! smile.gif What did you think of Watershed though ? I prefer Ghost Reveries.

Hey Ben!

You're not boring at all mate, you're a termenous axeman and you are right about the "all image and no heartfelt music" there are a lot of bands out there who sound WAY too produced biggrin.gif
Hmmmm, I think you would have a very pleasant surprise, if you'd give a go to the Australian scene - as they are exactly the opposite of what you stated about glitzy fashion and all that so I strongly recommend Karnivool, and the Butterfly Effect and also Rishloo (trust me, if you enjoy listening to Tool, you'll love these bands)

Opeth is a very very good band! I love them!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 19 2010, 04:50 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 19 2010, 01:43 PM) *

and the sound of the albums.. where each record had it's own audio personality. It was all about wearing your heart on your sleeve when metal was younger... but now it's become what it rebelled against.. fashion. All the records now could have come from the same factory. A bit like McDonalds.

Rather true of a lot of music at the moment Ben.

It's perhaps because there are too many producers, mix engineers and mastering studios who follow a trend. Everyone wants their CD to sound like 'X', even when 'X' is not even close to what they do.

A slight digression - if you're in the UK look at X Factor - all the vocalists and groups are the same sound wise. We've just turned down the 'opportunity' to master one of that ilk as they just want another carbon copy, sound alike CD. I'm sure that there must be a setting in *name your fav 'mastering' plug-in* called 'X Factor Shiz' that they can do it on rolleyes.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Nielzsz
Nov 19 2010, 06:31 PM
Learning Roadie
My opinion about the modern metal bands is that the songs most of the time have a anticlimax. They intro has often much power and then Boom, when the vocals start, its over.
Also the modern metal bands are way to often too commercial. They often have the same sound and as already said, its too much changed by the studio.

Whats your favorite Modern metal song Cosmin?
Maybe ill change my opioning a bit then wink.gif

This post has been edited by Nielzsz: Nov 19 2010, 06:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 07:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nielzsz @ Nov 19 2010, 05:31 PM) *
My opinion about the modern metal bands is that the songs most of the time have a anticlimax. They intro has often much power and then Boom, when the vocals start, its over.
Also the modern metal bands are way to often too commercial. They often have the same sound and as already said, its too much changed by the studio.

Whats your favorite Modern metal song Cosmin?
Maybe ill change my opioning a bit then wink.gif

Hey there Nielzsz : ) I'll make up a top 5 for today biggrin.gif below - let me know what you think (there are MANY more tongue.gif)

1) Tesseract - Concealing fate (part 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_YIiRoRFM
2) Karnivool - Themata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59vYoP6LkY
3) Deftones - Diamond eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksTlo_1Tpw
4) Sevendust - Enemy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqY89pkqn4
5) Periphery - Flight of Icarus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qCNAtj7PHQ

this is the kind of stuff that I enjoy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mr T
Nov 19 2010, 07:57 PM
GMC:er
I really dig Karnivool and Rishloo, some of the others you mention I only know by name.

Used to listen to bands like Killswitch Engage, but at some point they kinda lost their appeal to me.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 19 2010, 09:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 01:57 PM) *
Hey Ben!

You're not boring at all mate, you're a termenous axeman and you are right about the "all image and no heartfelt music" there are a lot of bands out there who sound WAY too produced biggrin.gif
Hmmmm, I think you would have a very pleasant surprise, if you'd give a go to the Australian scene - as they are exactly the opposite of what you stated about glitzy fashion and all that so I strongly recommend Karnivool, and the Butterfly Effect and also Rishloo (trust me, if you enjoy listening to Tool, you'll love these bands)

Opeth is a very very good band! I love them!

Thank you for your kinds words Cosmin.. how much do I owe you ?? The cheque will be in the post..... biggrin.gif

Ok, I'll check them out... I admit that I'm not very up to date with modern metal bands so there will be loads of music I've missed smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Hey there Nielzsz : ) I'll make up a top 5 for today biggrin.gif below - let me know what you think (there are MANY more tongue.gif)

1) Tesseract - Concealing fate (part 2) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_YIiRoRFM
2) Karnivool - Themata - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59vYoP6LkY
3) Deftones - Diamond eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksTlo_1Tpw
4) Sevendust - Enemy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlqY89pkqn4
5) Periphery - Flight of Icarus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qCNAtj7PHQ

this is the kind of stuff that I enjoy smile.gif

I enjoyed Karnivool the best from those links but they all had really enjoyable elements, which I wasn't expecting.. Tesseract have some damn cool hair.. all the others need to grow theirs !!! wink.gif

But some clever musicianship and interesting song writing for sure smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 19 2010, 03:50 PM) *
Rather true of a lot of music at the moment Ben.

It's perhaps because there are too many producers, mix engineers and mastering studios who follow a trend. Everyone wants their CD to sound like 'X', even when 'X' is not even close to what they do.

A slight digression - if you're in the UK look at X Factor - all the vocalists and groups are the same sound wise. We've just turned down the 'opportunity' to master one of that ilk as they just want another carbon copy, sound alike CD. I'm sure that there must be a setting in *name your fav 'mastering' plug-in* called 'X Factor Shiz' that they can do it on rolleyes.gif .

Hehe, you're dead right there with the X Factor idea. I like the fact you turn people down from the 'manufactured' world as well... extra bonus points for you !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 09:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 19 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Thank you for your kinds words Cosmin.. how much do I owe you ?? The cheque will be in the post..... biggrin.gif

Ok, I'll check them out... I admit that I'm not very up to date with modern metal bands so there will be loads of music I've missed smile.gif

I enjoyed Karnivool the best from those links but they all had really enjoyable elements, which I wasn't expecting.. Tesseract have some damn cool hair.. all the others need to grow theirs !!! wink.gif

But some clever musicianship and interesting song writing for sure smile.gif

Hehe, you're dead right there with the X Factor idea. I like the fact you turn people down from the 'manufactured' world as well... extra bonus points for you !! biggrin.gif

Ben biggrin.gif all you owe me is making sure you pull my sleeve whenever my licks are pointless and uncolourful : D
If everyone in the music scene in Romania would be as nice as you guys, the world would surely be a better place biggrin.gif
Well, if you need modern rock/ metal/ alterno stuff and all this kind - ask whenever, I have loads of stuff biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 19 2010, 09:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 08:29 PM) *
Ben biggrin.gif all you owe me is making sure you pull my sleeve whenever my licks are pointless and uncolourful : D
If everyone in the music scene in Romania would be as nice as you guys, the world would surely be a better place biggrin.gif
Well, if you need modern rock/ metal/ alterno stuff and all this kind - ask whenever, I have loads of stuff biggrin.gif

Well, I don't imagine that will happen anyway, Cosmin !! wink.gif

I hear you on that... genuine musicians with no ego are hard to come across in the music scene.. that's what makes GMC so great, by having all these amazing people here in one place. Without sounding sycophantic, I thought the same thing when I saw your video.. you truly understand and appreciate the heart behind music smile.gif

Have you ever heard of a book called Zen Guitar, by a guy called Philip Toshio Sudo ? I think you'd really enjoy it, and get a lot from it as it complements your philosophies !

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 10:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 19 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Well, I don't imagine that will happen anyway, Cosmin !! wink.gif

I hear you on that... genuine musicians with no ego are hard to come across in the music scene.. that's what makes GMC so great, by having all these amazing people here in one place. Without sounding sycophantic, I thought the same thing when I saw your video.. you truly understand and appreciate the heart behind music smile.gif

Have you ever heard of a book called Zen Guitar, by a guy called Philip Toshio Sudo ? I think you'd really enjoy it, and get a lot from it as it complements your philosophies !

Thanx man! Your words are too kind smile.gif where can i find it>? It sounds VERY interesting biggrin.gif I have one for you - it's called Effortless mastery (i think, I have the translated romanian version) and it's written by a guy named kenny Werner - a famous jazz piano player - I loved it because it shows you how to discover who you realy are as a musician biggrin.gif IN a practical approach! It is really nice as it's spiced with this guys tremendous life experience smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 19 2010, 10:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 19 2010, 09:03 PM) *
Thanx man! Your words are too kind smile.gif where can i find it>? It sounds VERY interesting biggrin.gif I have one for you - it's called Effortless mastery (i think, I have the translated romanian version) and it's written by a guy named kenny Werner - a famous jazz piano player - I loved it because it shows you how to discover who you realy are as a musician biggrin.gif IN a practical approach! It is really nice as it's spiced with this guys tremendous life experience smile.gif

You can get it here from Amazon, I don't know if there's any translated versions though.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-fireside-bo...0178&sr=8-1 but it's an incredibly inspiring book !

I'll look for that book, it sounds great !! Thank you smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 19 2010, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I really like Metalcore bands like Trivium, Bullet for my vallentine and Avenged Sevenfold

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2010, 10:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Nov 19 2010, 09:48 PM) *
I really like Metalcore bands like Trivium, Bullet for my vallentine and Avenged Sevenfold

hey mate! Trivium rocks - seen them last year, at the same fest in Germany with Killswitch biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 19 2010, 11:53 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I like quite a few newer/ modern bands. Revocation, Allegaeon, The Sword, Trivium, In This Moment, The Ocean, Dawn Of Ashes, Warbringer, Evile. There are many, many good ones, just they hard to find in a giant swathing ocean of mediocrity and repetition. Production is also a big issue, The same general tone is used on too many records especially in the deathcore scene, which is a genre that I honestly think only really lasted a year or two and that was five years ago. Recently, a band called Oceano came out, barely a year or so ago, and they were hailed as the heaviest band in the scene ever. Less than a few months after there were stickers on CD covers at stores that read "the heaviest band since Oceano", and I am just like WTF, they JUST released an album, you cannot refer to them in that way, it just doesn't make sense to me.

However, some bands still realize that a production with a lower volume and better dynamics and character is the better way to go (The Sword is a perfect example). Are so many musicians so damaged in the head that they don't realize they can just turn the volume up?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:33 AM