Apprentice Bushido Task 19
Ben Higgins
Jun 2 2012, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Task 19: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=583117

That's right ! One of my own evil little licks. Well, I can't really call it mine as it's a very universal common pattern.... wink.gif

The link should have directed you to something called Lick 24 which is a short alternate picking lick. It starts on a downstroke and you will be picking the B string with an upstroke. So it's what we call 'outside' picking. We've been doing vibrato for quite a while so I thought I'd give you something short and not too hard. As a result I can bring the deadline back to Friday.. so..

Your task is to upload a version of this lick at a tempo that you find comfortable but ideally a tempo that is a bit faster than what you could originally do when you started it smile.gif

Deadline is Friday 8th June

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 6 2012, 09:20 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Hey Ben,
here is a take at 75bpm. I have a problem you will notice : my little finger makes some kind of pull off when I change string which makes the G string ring. That's really annoying !
I'll try to reduce tempo to find a way to stop that.
Bonne soirée.
http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/outside-picking/s-QNY2T

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2012, 09:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Jun 6 2012, 09:20 PM) *
Hey Ben,
here is a take at 75bpm. I have a problem you will notice : my little finger makes some kind of pull off when I change string which makes the G string ring. That's really annoying !
I'll try to reduce tempo to find a way to stop that.
Bonne soirée.
http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/outside-picking/s-QNY2T

Hey Grind !

Sounding good.. I didn't notice the pinky thing so much. The only thing I noticed was the second note of each phrase is not quite co ordinated. Either you're picking the note just before the finger frets it - or it's the other way around. But that's the only thing I noticed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2012, 06:31 PM
Instructor
I just remembered, you require a Donut !

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Jun 9 2012, 06:39 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 07:31 PM) *
I just remembered, you require a Donut !

Hell yeah ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
zoom
Jun 10 2012, 05:34 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Ben
Here is my take at 70bpm. Can I state of obvious and mention I'm late. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/outside-picking-lick

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 10 2012, 09:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Jun 10 2012, 05:34 AM) *
Hi Ben
Here is my take at 70bpm. Can I state of obvious and mention I'm late. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/outside-picking-lick

Sounding good, Zoom. You've got the 4th note a semitone out though. The index finger doesn't fret the note directly above it (or below it, depending on how you see it) you have to shift it up one to the 10th fret smile.gif

Although what you did still works wink.gif

+Quote Post
MossRoller
Jun 22 2012, 09:57 PM
GMC:er
Hi Ben, initially this seemed like it was going to be easy to ramp up to giga-speed during the length of the week.
Not so. As the week wore on, it seemed I was going backwards. sad.gif

I also had trouble with that open string wanting to ring out when lifting the little finger.

I used the index finger to play 10th fret on the 2nd string.
There were times that I could play 70 bpm, but then I would completely lose sync between hands.

So here's my not-so-evil sounding take of your evil lick at 60 bpm.

Short on time today, so uploading sound file only.

Attached File  BushidoApprenticeTask19_60bpm.mp3 ( 352.13K ) Number of downloads: 120

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 23 2012, 09:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MossRoller @ Jun 22 2012, 09:57 PM) *
Hi Ben, initially this seemed like it was going to be easy to ramp up to giga-speed during the length of the week.
Not so. As the week wore on, it seemed I was going backwards. sad.gif

I also had trouble with that open string wanting to ring out when lifting the little finger.

I used the index finger to play 10th fret on the 2nd string.
There were times that I could play 70 bpm, but then I would completely lose sync between hands.

So here's my not-so-evil sounding take of your evil lick at 60 bpm.

Short on time today, so uploading sound file only.

Attached File  BushidoApprenticeTask19_60bpm.mp3 ( 352.13K ) Number of downloads: 120

Howdy Moss !! biggrin.gif

I just picked up my guitar to run through the lick (and man, my strings are disgusting...) to see if the G string tends to want to ring out but I can't get it to happen unless I pluck it deliberately. At my guess, 2 things could cause it

1. Your pinky could be slightly pulling off of the string instead of just lifting off, this would sound the open string as you pulled your finger off...

2. Your pick itself is connecting with G string again as you play the upstroke on the B string ? However, it sounds like it's occurring before you pick the B string so it probably isn't that..

I can't put my finger on (no pun intended !) what is causing it for sure but can only give the same, boring but true, advice which is just that the more you do it, the more polished it will be and the errors will iron themselves out. Of course, there's only so much you can achieve in a week but I would say that it's mainly due to needing more work rather than anything you're doing wrong smile.gif

Nice work !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:41 AM