Sweep Question
AIB234
Jun 26 2007, 03:17 AM
GMC:er
This may have been asked before and if so I apologize. I tried searching and didn't find anything under "sweep muting" or even "sweep help".

I can mute fine on the way down, but on the way up I get some string noise. I've watched Pavel's 1st Sweep video around 5 times to see if I missed it but I can't find an answer I am looking for.

Do I just need to slow down and be more precise with my finger movement on the way up or am I supposed to mute on the way up with my palm as well? If that is the case, should all the string be somewhat muted all the time?

Thanks for the advice

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 26 2007, 03:37 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 25 2007, 08:17 PM) *
This may have been asked before and if so I apologize. I tried searching and didn't find anything under "sweep muting" or even "sweep help".

I can mute fine on the way down, but on the way up I get some string noise. I've watched Pavel's 1st Sweep video around 5 times to see if I missed it but I can't find an answer I am looking for.

Do I just need to slow down and be more precise with my finger movement on the way up or am I supposed to mute on the way up with my palm as well? If that is the case, should all the string be somewhat muted all the time?

Thanks for the advice

same problem here man, my upstroke sweeps are the ones who i need to practice seriously.

I donw know if this is correct, but ive heard it around here:

When Sweeping upward, you dont use your palm to mute the strings, simply lift slightly (just enough to mute) your fingers from the fretboard and proceed with the other string, doing the same exact thing.

As always, practice slowly, no matter how slowly, practice until you get it right, I think practicing muting is more important than speed at first. When you get that, work on speed.

hope it helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jun 26 2007, 07:19 AM
i thought you used the finger you about to use to mute the last string you played.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 26 2007, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Guys - you should always use palm to mute the strings. The slight touch in left hand can help muting but it's not the main key. You should be able to play it with totally right hand muting.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jun 26 2007, 11:41 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 26 2007, 06:02 PM) *
Guys - you should always use palm to mute the strings. The slight touch in left hand can help muting but it's not the main key. You should be able to play it with totally right hand muting.

i thought you said on the up part the use you left hand to mute.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 26 2007, 11:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JOhn @ Jun 26 2007, 12:41 PM) *
i thought you said on the up part the use you left hand to mute.

It's ok to use it on the upsweep but down sweep is right hand mute 100%!

Also - you won't always be able to mute with left hand. These basic shapes are simple but the more you advance the more difficult it becomes so right hand should be the main tool!
And also - index finger will always touch the string below the one you are playing so you don't even have to think about it.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jun 26 2007, 11:47 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jun 26 2007, 11:57 AM
OH NO more sweeping stuff to learn sad.gif

Which finger is the index again? and i don't get it how are you supposed the mute string when going up if your hand is above the strings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 26 2007, 12:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JOhn @ Jun 26 2007, 12:57 PM) *
OH NO more sweeping stuff to learn sad.gif

Which finger is the index again? and i don't get it how are you supposed the mute string when going up if your hand is above the strings?

Just read the above post again!! smile.gif I said it's ok to mute with left hand on upsweep!

Index finger is the first finger on your left hand (not counting the thumb).

--------------------

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jun 26 2007, 12:12 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 26 2007, 08:44 PM) *
It's ok to use it on the upsweep but down sweep is right hand mute 100%!

Also - you won't always be able to mute with left hand. These basic shapes are simple but the more you advance the more difficult it becomes so right hand should be the main tool!
And also - index finger will always touch the string below the one you are playing so you don't even have to think about it.

but you said you cant always mute with the left hand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 26 2007, 12:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JOhn @ Jun 26 2007, 01:12 PM) *
but you said you cant always mute with the left hand.

Yes that's right! Because the basic shapes are very linear and simple to play. There are much much more difficult things about sweeping out there.

Ok let's make it like this: practice the basic shapes as i explained in Basics Of Sweeping - read the comments as there is a huge post explaining it step by step.

When you come to more advanced stuff you'll already know enough to figure it out on spot. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 26 2007, 01:40 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 26 2007, 06:38 AM) *
Yes that's right! Because the basic shapes are very linear and simple to play. There are much much more difficult things about sweeping out there.

Ok let's make it like this: practice the basic shapes as i explained in Basics Of Sweeping - read the comments as there is a huge post explaining it step by step.

When you come to more advanced stuff you'll already know enough to figure it out on spot. smile.gif

you've been patient with all these questions Pavel, more patient than I could have been. Not that anybody is doing anything wrong asking, but after the same question from dozens of people, has to drive you nuts at some point.

Seems to me that if i extend my fingers, and hold my pick properly, and place my palm properly at the bridge, the right hand just moves naturally doing the damping. I am not saying i do it as well as Pavel, but it improves over time without me thinking about it. I just keep striving for improved sound, and I think my right hand just takes the cue all by itself, doing things better, without me micro managing that effort.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 26 2007, 02:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 26 2007, 08:40 AM) *
you've been patient with all these questions Pavel, more patient than I could have been. Not that anybody is doing anything wrong asking, but after the same question from dozens of people, has to drive you nuts at some point.

Seems to me that if i extend my fingers, and hold my pick properly, and place my palm properly at the bridge, the right hand just moves naturally doing the damping. I am not saying i do it as well as Pavel, but it improves over time without me thinking about it. I just keep striving for improved sound, and I think my right hand just takes the cue all by itself, doing things better, without me micro managing that effort.

My experience was a little different - my sweeps were dirty even at slow speeds. I knew how to mute but I couldn;t get it together. I kept trying, and eventually one day it clicked and now I can play cleanly (although slowly still). I think I had to get the basic mechanics in place, and a certain level of synchronization going before I could then focus my attention on the palm and muting.

The moral of the story is .... PRACTICE!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 26 2007, 05:48 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 26 2007, 03:02 AM) *

Thanks Pavel.

Looks like I need to slow down my sweeping again and work on muting on the upstroke with my right hand.

Does this present a problem of muting the string that you're currently playing on the upstroke or is it such a slight mute that it does not affect the string that you are playing?

I don't think I will practice muting with my left index because you said at higher speeds that it's too quick to do it and I do not want to become dependent on this technique when I should have been using my palm from day 1. Is this correct?

Sorry if this has become redundant for you Pavel, but I really need clarification on this before I go practicing the wrong thing!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 26 2007, 06:38 PM
Instructor
Ok guys - i see everyone of you understand what i say the way you want it - not the way i say it!!

When a lesson on Basics Of Sweeping first popped up we had some HUGE posts going on there in the feedback, Fkalich spent a lot of time asking me questions and clarifying things about sweeping - Thanks FKalich - and finally - we did a huge post describing sweeping from the beginning to the end!!

So - what the only thing you should do is go there and read the feedback as there are LOADS of info there!!

You DO mute with left hand on upsweep but you don't do any extra movement - it's just a part of the natural motion you do when playing sweeps. So don't get bothered with it and just play it. BUT - left hand will be of no use if you don't have good control in right hand.

In these simple shapes you can use index finger to mute all the problematic areas, but for example if you play diminished 5 string arpeggios you won't be able to do it.

So - before asking any more questions - go through BASICS OF SWEEPING lesson!! smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 26 2007, 08:44 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 26 2007, 08:04 AM) *
My experience was a little different - my sweeps were dirty even at slow speeds. I knew how to mute but I couldn;t get it together. I kept trying, and eventually one day it clicked and now I can play cleanly (although slowly still). I think I had to get the basic mechanics in place, and a certain level of synchronization going before I could then focus my attention on the palm and muting.

The moral of the story is .... PRACTICE!

i have seen that in other things, guitar wise. sometimes you have to let one hand get things right (at higher speed), and then let the other catch up. if both hands are screwing up, it can be a quagmire that is hard to climb out of.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jun 27 2007, 07:23 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 27 2007, 03:38 AM) *
Ok guys - i see everyone of you understand what i say the way you want it - not the way i say it!!

When a lesson on Basics Of Sweeping first popped up we had some HUGE posts going on there in the feedback, Fkalich spent a lot of time asking me questions and clarifying things about sweeping - Thanks FKalich - and finally - we did a huge post describing sweeping from the beginning to the end!!

So - what the only thing you should do is go there and read the feedback as there are LOADS of info there!!
You DO mute with left hand on upsweep but you don't do any extra movement - it's just a part of the natural motion you do when playing sweeps. So don't get bothered with it and just play it. BUT - left hand will be of no use if you don't have good control in right hand.

In these simple shapes you can use index finger to mute all the problematic areas, but for example if you play diminished 5 string arpeggios you won't be able to do it.
So - before asking any more questions - go through BASICS OF SWEEPING lesson!! smile.gif smile.gif

Thats the answer i was looking for smile.gif

before you made it sound like i had to do some special hand movement to mute while going up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:54 PM