2 Pages V   1 2 >  
When Rock Got Real...
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2019, 03:44 PM
Instructor
The 90's had a big impact on me because I was a teenager during those years. I started to choose which music I wanted to hear and what's even more important, I started playing the guitar! smile.gif

Is it just me or it was a GREAT decade for rock music? I didn't notice this while it was happening. I used ti think that 80's and 70's were better... however, I think that 90's has been as great as the previous decades. Not sure about 2000's and the following ones... huh.gif

What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 13 2019, 04:02 PM
GMC:er
The greatest decade is always the one where you decided what you liked and when you seriously started playing.
For me it was the late 70s and into the early 80s. I like a lot of 90s stuff too but the songwriting doesn't generally 'speak' to me. I don't even know what rock from the 00s and beyond is - ? laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 13 2019, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 03:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 13 2019, 12:02 PM) *
The greatest decade is always the one where you decided what you liked and when you seriously started playing.
For me it was the late 70s and into the early 80s. I like a lot of 90s stuff too but the songwriting doesn't generally 'speak' to me. I don't even know what rock from the 00s and beyond is - ? laugh.gif

hahaha... looking forward Rick Beato's next chapter to discover about 2000's... tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 14 2019, 03:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
some minor remembered stuff out of the 90s , but overall , to me , it is one of the easiest decades to forget ( musically ). 80s is my favorite , but I like 70s, 60s , some 50 s, and 2000 and on

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 03:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 13 2019, 11:07 PM) *
some minor remembered stuff out of the 90s , but overall , to me , it is one of the easiest decades to forget ( musically ). 80s is my favorite , but I like 70s, 60s , some 50 s, and 2000 and on

Really? Are these songs easy to forget?

I can continue all day... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 14 2019, 04:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2019, 03:20 AM) *
Really? Are these songs easy to forget?

I can continue all day... laugh.gif

guns and roses was 87
enter sandman, from someone that grew up on the old metallica , was a sell out , and what have they done since then
sound garden and AIC where the brights spots to be sure , pearl jam had some good stuff , but Eddie neede a freakin hug

I could go all day laugh.gif , you know its all subjective and were just having fun

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 14 2019, 07:20 AM
Some great stuff in the 90s to be sure. Music changed in a big way, as it always does, and it was a good thing imho. Each "scene" is a bit of a response to the previous "scene" in many ways. Just like Punk was a response to bands full of talented and experienced players like the Eagles in the 70s, Grunge of the 90s was a response to Glam of the 80s. Of course there are always wads of moving parts in the music biz. Some great rock and great players to be sure. The 90s were an important time for music as CDs were still a thing and money was still being made. This was "Pre Collapse". This was one of the last periods of anything with a guitar in it being a common fixture on the top sales charts in general. Post 2005, we see another big shift as the industry begins to implode and cuts in half in value over the coming years. We start seeing the rise of "Idol" style pop acts replacing rock bands more and more. Hip hop continued to become more main stream and we end up with what we have now. The best time ever for creating music, just not the best time to make a living wage from it as previous waves of musicians had, at least not in the same way.

Apple is partly to blame here. They pointed the digital revolution at the Music Biz and sucked out all of the profit for themselves. Music went from $15 CDs, to 99 cent digital downloads. It was going to happen at some point, Apple just stepped in front of it before anyone else. The industry would shift again to streaming which leads us to today where it takes millions of streams to equal the revenue of a single physical unit. That's life though smile.gif Life is change. Here is great article about it.
https://www.thestreet.com/story/12758869/1/...-one-chart.html
JSTCRSN is too old to appreciate the 90s in the same way as someone who grew up/learned guitar in that time. I'm too old for it as well but I still appreciate the 90s since I hated the 2000s so much in terms of music over all. As ken says, we typically graft on to the music of our youth. It stays with us for the rest of our lives. Still, I was not coming up in the 60s yet I can say the music of the 60s was just flat out better than music from many other decades. Then again I can say the same of the 70s and 80s. There is still great stuff being made, it's just not as culturally relevant as great music used to be sadly.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 13 2019, 10:44 AM) *
The 90's had a big impact on me because I was a teenager during those years. I started to choose which music I wanted to hear and what's even more important, I started playing the guitar! smile.gif

Is it just me or it was a GREAT decade for rock music? I didn't notice this while it was happening. I used ti think that 80's and 70's were better... however, I think that 90's has been as great as the previous decades. Not sure about 2000's and the following ones... huh.gif

What do you think?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 14 2019, 07:25 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2019, 02:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 14 2019, 12:04 AM) *
guns and roses was 87
enter sandman, from someone that grew up on the old metallica , was a sell out , and what have they done since then
sound garden and AIC where the brights spots to be sure , pearl jam had some good stuff , but Eddie neede a freakin hug

I could go all day laugh.gif , you know its all subjective and were just having fun

hahhaa ups! Ok, this is my GNR option.

Ok about Metallica, but let me know if you have something like this in your 80s! laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 14 2019, 03:20 AM) *
JSTCRSN is too old to appreciate the 90s in the same way as someone who grew up/learned guitar in that time. I'm too old for it as well but I still appreciate the 90s since I hated the 2000s so much in terms of music over all. As ken says, we typically graft on to the music of our youth. It stays with us for the rest of our lives. Still, I was not coming up in the 60s yet I can say the music of the 60s was just flat out better than music from many other decades. Then again I can say the same of the 70s and 80s. There is still great stuff being made, it's just not as culturally relevant as great music used to be sadly.

For those who hate 2000... here are some exceptions... biggrin.gif

I can continue all day... ohmy.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 14 2019, 03:57 PM
Here's an example of what I mean by "you love the era you became aware in".

I like QOTSA, the Strokes, Audioslave, Rage, Radio Head, Muse, etc. ... I'm just not interested in learning how to play it. I'm past it. Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy do some very cool stuff but I'd look stupid trying to cop their thing. By the time the 90s were happening I was making a living in music doing "my" thing. I'm certainly not a renowned guitar player but I've made a career out of whatever it is I seem to do on the instrument.

Also, by the time the 90s hit I was really getting into other types of music. I was always into jazz and that leads down a massive rabbit hole of funk, R&B, soul, ethnic and regional music, hot rod country guitar, etc.

I love the fact that there is in fact still rock music and rock guitar happening today. I'm just personally past it. Anymore, I'm looking for the sonically interesting as well as good songwriting. Technique I couldn't care less about - it's been done (to death). I can still listen to a Van Halen or Zeppelin record and think, "what the fuck is that!?" - some sound or a weird chord or whatever.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 15 2019, 01:45 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2019, 02:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 14 2019, 11:57 AM) *
Here's an example of what I mean by "you love the era you became aware in".

I like QOTSA, the Strokes, Audioslave, Rage, Radio Head, Muse, etc. ... I'm just not interested in learning how to play it. I'm past it. Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy do some very cool stuff but I'd look stupid trying to cop their thing. By the time the 90s were happening I was making a living in music doing "my" thing. I'm certainly not a renowned guitar player but I've made a career out of whatever it is I seem to do on the instrument.

Also, by the time the 90s hit I was really getting into other types of music. I was always into jazz and that leads down a massive rabbit hole of funk, R&B, soul, ethnic and regional music, hot rod country guitar, etc.

I love the fact that there is in fact still rock music and rock guitar happening today. I'm just personally past it. Anymore, I'm looking for the sonically interesting as well as good songwriting. Technique I couldn't care less about - it's been done (to death). I can still listen to a Van Halen or Zeppelin record and think, "what the fuck is that!?" - some sound or a weird chord or whatever.

Interesting! And based on your journey and musical direction, which are your favorite new artists (from 2000 to 2019)?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 15 2019, 04:51 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2019, 06:29 AM) *
Interesting! And based on your journey and musical direction, which are your favorite new artists (from 2000 to 2019)?

I like the Black Keys, the Raconteurs, the 1975, anything Steven Wilson's involved in, Leon Bridges, CeLo Green, Wahid (Oud and percussion), Kamasi Washington (Jazz/soul/funk), Julian Lage (jazz guitar), Vulf Peck, Dead Rock West, the War on Drugs ...
These bands/artists interest me from a 'sonic' point of view as well as their songwriting style.
For me, the sound of a record has always been important.
One of things that turns me off about a lot of modern music is that it's produced like crap. One dimensional with zero dynamics.
I find this in all styles.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 15 2019, 07:29 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2019, 04:02 AM
Instructor
That’s a great list! I really like the names that I know (Raconteurs, 1975, Wilson, Julian Lage, Vulfpeck) so I will definitely check the other ones.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 16 2019, 12:13 PM
Learning Roadie
As a '91 I was strongly influenced by 90's music and I mostly love it but what was before it or after is great to. I accidentally discovered Linkin Park and Nightwish and these two were my first bands I chose to listen to. That got me near people who showed me other bands and this is really great about music!

This post has been edited by Adam M: May 16 2019, 12:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 16 2019, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 16 2019, 08:13 AM) *
As a '91 I was strongly influenced by 90's music and I mostly love it but what was before it or after is great to. I accidentally discovered Linkin Park and Nightwish and these two were my first bands I chose to listen to. That got me near people who showed me other bands and this is really great about music!

Nice Adam! Which are your favorite new bands?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 16 2019, 05:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 16 2019, 03:53 PM) *
Nice Adam! Which are your favorite new bands?

I'm quite open to new music. Lately I've started listening to Red and Dream Theatre but the most favourite out of the modern bands would be Sabaton because of how it's energetic and Luca Turilli as a guitarist. I like his records with Rhapsody since Legendary Tales but his LT's Rhapsody is great too! The old RHapsody lost some of its charm since he left, so I probably liked the band because of him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 16 2019, 07:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2019, 02:53 PM) *
hahhaa ups! Ok, this is my GNR option.

Ok about Metallica, but let me know if you have something like this in your 80s! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I can continue all day... ohmy.gif

metallica was our RAM , and I do like the black album , i was pullin your chain, i am dissappointed in them since then , but when metallica and anthrax first came out the radio DJ's did not even know who they were and some that did said they were not allowed to play THEM , so if you cab get in that vibe of MTV playing journey and rick Springfield and them you heard "for whom the bell toles " . These styles of bands got popular underground by word of mouth. Even the grunge era was maintained by corporate overlords . the same label that put out Warrant turned and signed Nirvana.
Ken is so right , what you heard when you " became " lives in your heart forever
I do like many songs from then , it just seems there is a higher percentage I want to forget ..... Ska ?

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: May 16 2019, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 19 2019, 01:53 AM
How dare you make fun of Ska! smile.gif Kidding of course.

There is some music from the 90s I'd like to forget, but it seems there is a LOT of music from 2000 forward that I"d pay money to have removed from my brain.

Todd
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 16 2019, 02:00 PM) *
metallica was our RAM , and I do like the black album , i was pullin your chain, i am dissappointed in them since then , but when metallica and anthrax first came out the radio DJ's did not even know who they were and some that did said they were not allowed to play THEM , so if you cab get in that vibe of MTV playing journey and rick Springfield and them you heard "for whom the bell toles " . These styles of bands got popular underground by word of mouth. Even the grunge era was maintained by corporate overlords . the same label that put out Warrant turned and signed Nirvana.
Ken is so right , what you heard when you " became " lives in your heart forever
I do like many songs from then , it just seems there is a higher percentage I want to forget ..... Ska ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 20 2019, 02:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ May 16 2019, 01:58 PM) *
I'm quite open to new music. Lately I've started listening to Red and Dream Theatre but the most favourite out of the modern bands would be Sabaton because of how it's energetic and Luca Turilli as a guitarist. I like his records with Rhapsody since Legendary Tales but his LT's Rhapsody is great too! The old RHapsody lost some of its charm since he left, so I probably liked the band because of him.

Cool Adam! If you like both DT and Rhapsody, what about Sympony X? Have I recommended you this band?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
May 22 2019, 11:05 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 20 2019, 02:38 AM) *
Cool Adam! If you like both DT and Rhapsody, what about Sympony X? Have I recommended you this band?

Thanks for posting this. It sounds great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2019, 02:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam @ May 22 2019, 07:05 PM) *
Thanks for posting this. It sounds great!

Check out these albums by them:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:39 PM