Best Musical Advice You Ever Got
Adrian Figallo
May 25 2010, 06:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 23 2010, 07:34 PM) *
Just the right man to give this kind of advice laugh.gif

HAHAHAHA, and i was thinking the same biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 23 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Something Branford Marsalis said (That he heard from his legendary father).

"Players who play for applause, that's all they get".

WOW, true.

My dad once told me "if you try, try and keep trying and you can't still do it... try harder"
Always works.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
May 25 2010, 10:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hmm, there are so many.. "Focus on accuracy and speed will come" is probably my fav one that I learnt from GMC.

BUT ... I may have come up with a few of my own over the years... (as I have to live upto my nickname) .. So here goes nothin !

- Find a healthy balance between self criticism & confidence .. Individually, both can be damaging to your guitar learning.

- If you think that you have 'mastered' a technique or a piece, you probably havent smile.gif

- Dont compose somethin fast just for the sake of it, chances are it will sound s@#T, no matter how well you execute it.

- Learn to be a musician, not just a guitar player .. Humility, Respect for other musicians and music types are all equally important to be a great musician.

- Whoever said that serious guitar learning was ALWAYS 'fun' was either lying or was on a happy pill.

I know .. I should be meditating somewhere in the Himalayas ... NO freakin idea what I'm doin with a guitar !!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 25 2010, 10:50 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
"Have fun" smile.gif

+Quote Post
piporz
May 25 2010, 10:58 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 25 2010, 03:34 AM) *
From neurological research. Two greatest principles;

1) In the final analysis, your goal is to establish synaptic mappings which manifest themselves in performing at a virtuoso level. Doing the correct things automatically establishes the mappings. Doing the incorrect things automatically does the opposite. You become what your practice habits are. The good news is, these poor synaptic mappings fade away with disuse, and more effective ones will be established with great practice habits. This principle is violated in many ways, quite commonly. One of these is making mistakes, playing so fast you have some areas where you slop it out. When you do that, you just reinforce that kind of play. It does not go away magically, you just keep ingraining it. This is one reason I consider practicing with backing tracks more than just occasionally is counter productive. People tend to gloss over their flaws, cover them up. But they don't go away, it is just lipstick on a pig when you do that. You will still remain a pig, no matter how long you go at it that way. Maybe a faster pig, but still a pig.

2) The better you concentrate, the much faster your brain is cable of learning. A person may think that they concentrate, but honestly, I don't think many people even know what high levels of concentration are.

Really capable teachers here followed these principles, I am confident of that, even if they did not think of it in this fashion. For example in an earlier time, Kris said to use a metronome, but keep it simple. He knew that going beyond that was just going to take you away from concentrating on your actual play. However I think people want the quick fix today, and backing tracks give them that, give them an illusion that they are more skilled and artistic than they actually are. I play just a bit with those for fun, and think they can be helpful if not used too much. But for the most part I follow Kris's original advice if I want to use a pace maker.

Great point of view :)

--------------------
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black, Fender Champion 600, Ibanez TS808 my only gear :)

+Quote Post
stratman79
May 25 2010, 11:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
when talking about producing and selling records I was told this gem.

"if DJ's ain't playing it it ain't worth s**t"

very true its to easy to get invovled in what you think is is musically cool but if its not rocking the clubs and get getting good rotation on independant radio stations then you prob won't sell many copies

take off your musicains hat and put on your punters!!!

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
May 26 2010, 12:27 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 24 2010, 08:26 PM) *
Some swedish guy (can't remember his name) once said that you don't need any talent to play guitar - you just have to practice!

I think that guy who said that now runs an online guitar lesson site of some sort^^

Man! this advice really changed my mind! wink.gif

QUOTE (audiopaal @ May 25 2010, 06:50 AM) *
"Have fun" smile.gif

Nice one!

Four advices to any "aspiring guitarist" from Joe Satriani:

-The ultimate goal is playing music, lifting people's spirits. The practicing is supposed to help you do that.

-There's no substitute for practicing.

-Find out what is like to play for human beings.

-Never write a song sitting down because you may not be able to play it standing up.

BTW, Nice topic Bogdan!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
May 26 2010, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
"Wash your hands before playing the piano." - My grandmother (played the organ at church for as long as I can remember)

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 26 2010, 05:12 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
"Fake it till you make it"

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 26 2010, 06:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Don´t wash your hand right before a playng sessions .. if do wash them wait 15 min before you play !

Picked this up in GMC Forum smile.gif ( I bealive it was from staffy´s most ruined finger competition )

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 27 2010, 12:57 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 23 2010, 10:23 AM) *
"Less is more" - I think I heard this one from Victor Wooten...

Reminds me of a piece I wrote by the same name: http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=67012

Well, probably the most helpful advice that I received, as I recall, was "stop thinking about it - just play it!"

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 27 2010, 01:01 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Artemus @ May 27 2010, 01:57 PM) *
Reminds me of a piece I wrote by the same name: http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=67012

Well, probably the most helpful advice that I received, as I recall, was "stop thinking about it - just play it!"

Hehe sometime advices conflict - one of my favorites is "The more you think the better you are going to play" (Marty Friedman). This one is referring to guitar theory though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 27 2010, 01:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 27 2010, 01:01 PM) *
Hehe sometime advices conflict - one of my favorites is "The more you think the better you are going to play" (Marty Friedman). This one is referring to guitar theory though.

It can often seem like that is the case, but often the conflicts are not conflicts at all but just refer to different aspects of playing and understanding. I'm a huge advocate of analysing your playing throughout practice, and running a critique of every aspect of playing. The advice that I received about not thinking so much was concerned with playing something a speed. I'd done everything by the book in terms of practicing - metronoming, keeping a journal, recording myself, analysing my playing, breaking it down.. &c. The trouble was I couldn't break past a certain speed barrier.
The reason was I was concentrating so much on so many things at the same time, my mind and fingers wouldn't keep up. Since I'd done the hard work and built up the muscle memory, "letting go" resulted in my being able to play said lick without any difficulty. However, I believe this was only possible because I'd spent the time learning it properly, so it was just a case of trusting in my fingers going to the right places without having to consciously tell them where to go. Without the right amount of dedicated, analytical practice, I'm sure this would not have been the case.

This post has been edited by Artemus: May 27 2010, 01:11 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 31 2010, 04:46 PM
Instructor
off the top of my head:

what J Petrucci says on that Rock discipline video:

"Resources are out there, you just have to go and get them and build up on whatever you want to do" (in other words)

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness" E. Tolle

QUOTE (zen @ May 25 2010, 10:37 AM) *
Hmm, there are so many.. "Focus on accuracy and speed will come" is probably my fav one that I learnt from GMC.

BUT ... I may have come up with a few of my own over the years... (as I have to live upto my nickname) .. So here goes nothin !

- Find a healthy balance between self criticism & confidence .. Individually, both can be damaging to your guitar learning.

- If you think that you have 'mastered' a technique or a piece, you probably havent smile.gif

- Dont compose somethin fast just for the sake of it, chances are it will sound s@#T, no matter how well you execute it.

- Learn to be a musician, not just a guitar player .. Humility, Respect for other musicians and music types are all equally important to be a great musician.

- Whoever said that serious guitar learning was ALWAYS 'fun' was either lying or was on a happy pill.

I know .. I should be meditating somewhere in the Himalayas ... NO freakin idea what I'm doin with a guitar !!

Ok, this is my new favorite:

"Find a healthy balance between self criticism & confidence .. Individually, both can be damaging to your guitar learning."

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2010, 05:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I heard recently a good one from Anthony Wellington :

"Learning the instrument is like counting to infinity, when you get to 1000 you are no closer to mastering the instrument then when you started. You play because you like it." - that's for all the ones worried about their progress smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 31 2010, 07:54 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
That's a nice one, Bogdan!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2010, 07:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ May 31 2010, 08:54 PM) *
That's a nice one, Bogdan!

Just read it few days back in a magazine...I was thinking - he couldn't put it better then that. We never stop learning the instrument...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2010, 10:04 PM
Instructor
Here are some Miles Davis quotes that are all excellent and inspiring, I love listening to him talk, he was a true genious.

“For me, music and life are all about style.”

“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself”

“Don't play what's there, play what's not there.”

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 3 2010, 11:57 AM
Jazz Instructor
"You're doing it all wrong!" smile.gif

After one year of guitar playing, guy said to me after listening to my playing. Because he was skilled guitar player I listened to him, and started again. I mean, almost everything was wrong, alternate picking, tone....

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 7 2010, 01:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
Try to play what you hear in your mind - don't over-analyze it - my interpretration of the real Zak Wylde.

Along the same lines : Marc Schonbrun, in his music-theory book, stated that Music Theory is great for analyzing and communicating to others what happened musically - it's not so great for composing music.

Much like a type-writer is great for quickly writing down ideas, and grammer is great for analyzing sentence structure to determine what happened, no one begins writing a story by opening up a grammar book and finding what rules can be used to glue words together correctly. It comes from your creative mind.

The benefit of Music Theory comes when you study music that has already been created. If you study music, you lock into your mind what *was* played, and how it sounded - thereby opening up your ability to know how to play it and that such a sound exists - that way when you are creating, you have a new sound discovered in your mind opening up new possibilities.

So, study music theory to help you know you instrument and what has been created - throw your theory away when you are writing music - except maybe to jot down notes for others to follow along with! smile.gif

That's how I think about it anyways.
Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:31 PM