> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 50 51 52 53 54 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 15 2016, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! thanks for the update and the music history lesson! It's awesome to see that those who where in your country around 60/70's with rock and metal music, where that close to the legends that we all love today. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 15 2016, 10:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

Yeah particularly in my local area, Sabbath, Zepplin, Judas Priest, ELO, Traffic (Steve Winwood), Moody Blues, The Move etc.

Jack White Lesson:

Finally finally finally, I can play it all the way though along with the GP5 at 60% smile.gif

Breaking the Law 10 minutes, (Total 20)

Intro and verse at 80% speed, need to clean up the chords.

Cheers Gab

P.S
Sent you a PM and an Email wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 15 2016, 10:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 16 2016, 01:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Those are great news! I can't wait to hear your audios. smile.gif

And those bands are really big man. Could you see any of them live?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 16 2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks Gab,

When I was younger I wasn't into rock, I was totally into punk and the local punk rock scene, I got into rock later in life and all of those bands were doing stadium size gigs and festivals so no, I've never seen them live sad.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 16 2016, 09:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 16 2016, 04:37 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

When I was younger I wasn't into rock, I was totally into punk and the local punk rock scene, I got into rock later in life and all of those bands were doing stadium size gigs and festivals so no, I've never seen them live sad.gif

Cheers

Phil

So what punk bands have you seen? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 16 2016, 10:27 PM
Hello Gab, all bands names, where possible are links to their website or wiki site except for the Ramones, you are bound to have heard of them wink.gif

Well my very fist gig was The Ramones at Birmingham Odeon in 1980, The Damned 3 times, Stiff Little Fingers, The Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Spizzenergi, The Spectres Formed by Glenn Matlock (Sex Pistols).

I then got into the more hardcore local scene and spent a lot of time at The Cedar Club in Birmingham, it didn't open until 11pm, we never got the last train back because that was 11pm too laugh.gif and used to tell our moms (we were 14 years old) that we were getting picked up by a friend's mom and sleeping at their house, then we'd just crash at someones house until the next day and miss school smile.gif ) The changing room was opposite the toilets upstairs and the door was always open so you could go in and chat to the bands. There I saw Drongos For Europe many times, the bass player is on my Facebook friends (Derek Baker) and the drummer (Danny Abrahall he is the brother of Col Abrahall the singer of Charged GBH) is on my Facbook friends too, Charged GBH many times, Discharge many times, The Exploited may times, 999, Anti Pasti. Vice Squad (Lovely female singer) many times,

At Digbeth Civic Hall I saw UK Subs, Crass (This is a film link), Honey Bane, Poison Girls, Rudimentary Peni, Rubella Ballet,

I also saw, at other dubious venues around the area, The Dead Kennedys, Anti Nowhere League, Septre, and many other short lived punk bands in the the back of pubs and clubs.

Now I've spent all my time doing this laugh.gif I got reminiscing and looking at YouTube, thoroughly enjoyed it though smile.gif

In this video there is a short interview with The Drongos Fro Europe, That's Derek in the freeze shot in the embedded video with the bandanna on wink.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabmEMtSDNU

Hope you enjoyed all this mate, I've lost a practise session now rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 16 2016, 10:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2016, 07:26 PM
Instructor
Just the first sentence:

"my very fist gig was The Ramones"

and I'm jealous... tongue.gif

That's totally awesome mate. smile.gif

I just can say that I could see the last Ramones concert at River Plate Stadium.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2016, 08:11 PM
So you actually went to this gig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAdBoOIBgDw

UPDATE:

Jack White Lesson:

Still working at 60% speed, some parts I can play at 100% BUT, I want to learn it so that I don't have to look at the screen for cues. I still have to look when doing the double stop section, mainly because it isn't natural to me, the parts before and after the double stop section I can remember smile.gif

Breaking The Law

Got the piece down at 90% speed up to the pre chorus. Had to stop playing as my left hand was cramping between the thumb and first finger. It's just not used to playing so much near the headstock I guess.

On another note and you may laugh but to me it is a HUGE achievement. I started from C on my midi keyboard and worked out what I thought were the notes to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and then checked on YouTube. I got it right. I know for a fact 100% I would not have done that a year ago. My ear must be improving smile.gif

Cheers Gab.

UPDATE December 18th 2016:

Jack White Lesson

I've recorded this at 70% (63 bpm). I know the obvious mistakes like the odd wrong note, and missing the slide from the 19th fret but can you hear anything else? The playing sounds a bit "plinky plonk" to me but I do find that when playing a piece slowly, it doesn't seem to flow as well. This was about the 10th take, I was getting frustrated with REC Button syndrome!!! I made more mistakes when recording this than I did all week, that make me make more mistakes with each take rolleyes.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-70

Judas Priest. Breaking the Law 10 minutes (45 minutes total)

Still struggling with left hand pain playing this one sad.gif I can play it ok but not for more than 10 minutes at the moment. It's the F and G# on the bass E string that do it.

A couple of missed notes but tonight, for some reason my REC button syndrome is worse than ever rolleyes.gif Any tips on tone?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/breaking-the-law-114bpm

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 18 2016, 10:06 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2016, 11:04 PM
Just put this here to freshen up the thread list. I've edited yesterday's post so if you looked yesterday you wouldn't know I had added to it wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 18 2016, 11:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2016, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 17 2016, 04:11 PM) *
So you actually went to this gig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAdBoOIBgDw

Exactly! smile.gif

On another note and you may laugh but to me it is a HUGE achievement. I started from C on my midi keyboard and worked out what I thought were the notes to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and then checked on YouTube. I got it right. I know for a fact 100% I would not have done that a year ago. My ear must be improving smile.gif

Nice to know this! smile.gif

UPDATE December 18th 2016:

Jack White Lesson

I've recorded this at 70% (63 bpm). I know the obvious mistakes like the odd wrong note, and missing the slide from the 19th fret but can you hear anything else? The playing sounds a bit "plinky plonk" to me but I do find that when playing a piece slowly, it doesn't seem to flow as well. This was about the 10th take, I was getting frustrated with REC Button syndrome!!! I made more mistakes when recording this than I did all week, that make me make more mistakes with each take rolleyes.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-70

Good! Well, besides the obvious timing issues I hear details to check with tabs at 00:56 and 01:08. I don't know if you played it's an error of this take or if you are playing it wrong. Please re-check what you are practising with tabs there.

Judas Priest. Breaking the Law 10 minutes (45 minutes total)

Still struggling with left hand pain playing this one sad.gif I can play it ok but not for more than 10 minutes at the moment. It's the F and G# on the bass E string that do it.

A couple of missed notes but tonight, for some reason my REC button syndrome is worse than ever rolleyes.gif Any tips on tone?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/breaking-the-law-114bpm

Great to hear this one! In order to adjust your tone, I would add more presence or treble, and lower a bit bass. Just that.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2016, 09:41 PM
Thank Gab,

That was actually the fist time I played at 70% speed just using the backing. For reference here I am playing along with GP5 file, I then put it over the backing track in Reaper. The are still some REC button mistakes though rolleyes.gif Hopefully you can hear a difference and maybe give me some tips on pushing this one to the end for REC. I'm really enjoying this lesson even though it is taking a long long time, I feel it teaches a whole lot of things including, for me, speed increase which I think I really need. I think I really need to internalise the piece a lot more. It's took a long time to get it all into my fingers but I've learnt something else from this lesson. It's taught me HOW to learn more than anything else I've tried ph34r.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-70-take-2

Breaking The Law: 15 minutes (60 total):

I just recorded this at full speed for the hell of it. I have full treble on my amp here, bass on 3, middle on 5 but I am using the emulated XLR out which does roll off treble. I'm also straight into the front of the amp. I'll go back through my Hotbird into GT100 into Peavey (4 cable method) next time to change the tone.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/breaking-the-law-100

Well, I think you start your holiday tomorrow (20th) so no need to reply until you get back. I guess I won't do much practise on Christmas day and boxing day also I am away from the 30th Dec to the 3rd January in Torquay to celebrate the new year smile.gif

Cheers buddy, have a great holiday, speak when you return.

Phil

UPDATE: December 22nd 2016:

Judas Priest. Breaking The Law 15 minutes (75 total)

I just thought I'd post my progress with this track. I think it sounds ok but not good, it's quite revealing recording naked guitar (no backing).The backing track hides a multitude of sins sleep.gif Any tips for improving this one?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/breaking-the-law-100-with-pre-chorus

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 27 2016, 09:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 26 2016, 04:20 PM
Hello Gab,

Update 26th December 2016:

Further to the above post that you haven't seen yet I'm having a rough time of it regarding guitar.

I don't know what's happened but my brain seems to have switched off unsure.gif I've had to go back to 50% speed on the Jack White lesson sad.gif I'm ok with all of it except for the double stop section. I'm having so much trouble with this part for some reason. I only missed one night's practise on Christmas eve and I seem to have gone back months. I just can't keep the timing with it for some reason, I play it too quickly, too slowly or a bit of both.

The Judas Priest track is going ok, the hardest part for me at the moment is the chorus with the open A string, I lose it completely when I have to play the 12th fret A.

Phil

UPDATE 27th December 2016:

Posted THIS today.

Judas Priest: Breaking The Law: (Lost my time spent Excel sheet sad.gif I think about an hour and a half so far)

I've recorded this at 70% speed to try and get the feel of the chorus. There is an incorrect chord in there because the bars just before the second pre-chorus is slightly different to the bars just before the first pre-chorus, it keeps catching me out rolleyes.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/breaking-the-law-70-to-solo

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 29 2016, 09:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 29 2016, 09:57 PM
Hello Gab,

Hope you had a great time, I'm away now until Monday 2nd January. I'll still be on here though just got no guitars with me. There are two posts above that you haven't seen and THIS one is mentioned. There is a video on there of my right hand.

Cheers buddy.

Happy and healthy new year.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 29 2016, 09:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 31 2016, 03:34 PM
Hello Gab,

Great to hear you had a good holiday smile.gif

I've been wondering about something and if it's correct, I don't know how to break it.

I've tried two or three level three lessons now and given up on all but this current Jack White one. I'm always saying to myself and others, "I can't see me ever managing to complete a level 3 lesson, there's always one part I can't do".
I'm wondering if my thoughts are inhibiting me. The problem is, if that's what I believe it doesn't matter if I try affirmation techniques because I need to truly believe that I can. I don't know how to break this mindset if it is that what is causing my issue.

I just thought I'd run it by you to see what you think. I'm going to post it into the practise room too as there may be others in the same boat.

Cheers buddy and a happy and healthy new year to you and yours.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 31 2016, 07:02 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

I've checked some of those audios and I can say that you are really progressing. The Jack White lesson is sounding good at this tempo, so now it's just a matter of time.

About your mind, practice and guitar playing, I've seen a video some days ago that is interesting. Please check it out and let me see what you get from this idea.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 1 2017, 06:31 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'll check that out tomorrow evening if the traffic doesn't stop me being home early enough. I think a lot of my problem is self belief/doubt.

Did you check my other posts "Gone backwards" and "Mindset issue?"? That I played while you were on holiday?

Ken asked me to post a video of my right hand playing the double stops. Here is the video.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2017, 01:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 1 2017, 02:31 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I'll check that out tomorrow evening if the traffic doesn't stop me being home early enough. I think a lot of my problem is self belief/doubt.

Did you check my other posts "Gone backwards" and "Mindset issue?"? That I played while you were on holiday?

Ken asked me to post a video of my right hand playing the double stops. Here is the video.

Cheers buddy

Hi Phil, I've haven't checked those thread yet.

From what I can see in your video, you are starting the lick with an upstroke while I would suggest starting with a downstroke as I do in the lesson (check video part 7). The difference is that you won't be able to give the right accentuation smoothly if you have all the strong strums as an upstroke. If you listen to my version, I don't play every diad with the same intensity, I use different intensities to give this a special feel. I don't think that you need to work on it now, but using the correct right hand directions will make the job easier.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 2 2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks Gab,

After the bar before the diads, which I play with alternate down/up strokes with the first 9th fret bend played with a down stroke, the upstroke on the first 10th fret diad comes after a downstroke on the final 7th fret diad. I'll study your picking actions some more.

This lesson covers so many techniques and I think this part that is troubling me could be down to left/right hand sync issues. What do you think?

I watched the Shawn Lane video, he said something that my friend who owns a guitar shop said, he had a student in who couldn't get something up to speed and he just tried some crazy speeds and eventually smashed it, he kept on trying slow then ultra fast then back to slow and eventually the slower playing got cleaner and quicker even though the ultra fast was sloppy. I think Shawn makes a valid point there, for me anyway. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the insight Gab smile.gif

After my break I'm refreshed and ready to take the bull by the horns. Looking forward to learning with you again this year smile.gif

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 2 2017, 09:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2017, 06:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 2 2017, 03:40 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

After the bar before the diads, which I play with alternate down/up strokes with the first 9th fret bend played with a down stroke, the upstroke on the first 10th fret diad comes after a downstroke on the final 7th fret diad. I'll study your picking actions some more.

This lesson covers so many techniques and I think this part that is troubling me could be down to left/right hand sync issues. What do you think?

I watched the Shawn Lane video, he said something that my friend who owns a guitar shop said, he had a student in who couldn't get something up to speed and he just tried some crazy speeds and eventually smashed it, he kept on trying slow then ultra fast then back to slow and eventually the slower playing got cleaner and quicker even though the ultra fast was sloppy. I think Shawn makes a valid point there, for me anyway. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the insight Gab smile.gif

After my break I'm refreshed and ready to take the bull by the horns. Looking forward to learning with you again this year smile.gif

Cheers buddy

Hi mate, yeah, check out my right hand movement because I think that it will make the things easier once you get familiar with the movement.

About the reason why this is taking time, it's just because you are not familiar yet with this type of licks, that sound simple but that aren't that simple.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 3 2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks Gab,

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif How crazy is that??????????? When I get to the diads, I do a down stroke on the first one and I automatically do a down stroke on the second one too. That is some crazy muscle memory blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Gotta train it out of my system, I'll be back ph34r.gif

OK, I'm back, 40 minutes practise later and 15 minutes to get a vid take and produce. It sounds very tense to me, not relaxed but I put that down to the difficulty, it will relax with time the more familiar I get with it.

Any tips so far?

Cheers buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 3 2017, 09:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 50 51 52 53 54 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:16 PM