22 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Phil66
May 9 2020, 08:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 2 Sarge

https://youtu.be/k3F-87rR9AU

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2020, 02:11 AM
GMC:er
Well Fought Soldier!! You fought through it! This is looking good. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

TAPPING TO GLORY-This is NOT your standard VANHALEN lick. Using an open string requires a lot of control with both hands and very good hand synch as well as the ability to focus on both hands at once as they are both doing different bits that only work if they are in solid synch. You got it!! Nice.

QUIET AS DEATH
-The open string is there partially to test your muting. Any open string lick is a challenge for your palm mute technique and this is not different. The good news is your mute is very solid so no random string noise! Score!

PULLING FOR POWER-Without the pulloff, this lick doesn't work. You gotta pull that last note off to the open string, which is what makes it sound smooth. You got it!! Bingo!!

You've added something very cool to your lick library with this one. Congrats!! you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

BTW I like the look of your guitar pro file better than the old tab software I'd been using at the time of the Mission being created. Thanks for that! This looks great.

Attached File  19_1_.gp5 ( 2.23K ) Number of downloads: 163

Attached Image
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 9 2020, 03:16 PM) *

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 10 2020, 03:34 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 11 2020, 05:26 AM
Thanks Sarge. I've sent you a pm wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 11 2020, 10:59 PM
You've got it Soldier! I like yours way better. Gonna swap em out!

Attached File  TBC_20_Pt_1.gp5 ( 2.33K ) Number of downloads: 153

Attached Image

Attached File  TBC_20_Pt_2.gp5 ( 2.69K ) Number of downloads: 151

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 19 2020, 08:21 PM
Thanks Sarge,

Update, or more like a downdate.

Been back at work just over a week, I've been snowed under with paperwork for risk assessments regarding Covid-19, sorting out new working practices, sourcing PPE etc, all of this has had to be done in my own time as I need to do what I need to do at my workplace. Not had any time or energy to practise buddy, but things are settling down now.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 19 2020, 09:10 PM
NO worries Soldier! You are the GENERAL in charge of all battle operations in your theatre of war. You gotta tend to your troops!!! The battle here will still be here when things calm down a bit at THE FRONT!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 19 2020, 03:21 PM) *
Thanks Sarge,

Update, or more like a downdate.

Been back at work just over a week, I've been snowed under with paperwork for risk assessments regarding Covid-19, sorting out new working practices, sourcing PPE etc, all of this has had to be done in my own time as I need to do what I need to do at my workplace. Not had any time or energy to practise buddy, but things are settling down now.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 19 2020, 09:47 PM
I was going through the tab for 20 and noticed a note out of place in part two and noticed that the open string bit should actually be a separate lick, or part 3. I've tweaked the tab and here are all three bits. Thanks for your help getting to the bottom of this!

Attached File  TBC_20_Pt_1.gp5 ( 2.33K ) Number of downloads: 190

Attached Image

Attached File  TBC_20_Pt_2.gp5 ( 2.38K ) Number of downloads: 188

Attached Image

Attached File  TBC_20_Pt_3.gp5 ( 1.76K ) Number of downloads: 147

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 19 2020, 09:51 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 20 2020, 08:28 PM
Sorry Sarge, I'll get it one day, 100 push ups NOW! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 21 2020, 01:54 AM
No worries Soldier!! You are keeping me on the straight and narrow!!!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 20 2020, 03:28 PM) *
Sorry Sarge, I'll get it one day, 100 push ups NOW! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 29 2020, 09:01 PM
TBC20 Pt 1 Take 1 Sarge.

First pass is at my current limit second is more comfortable. Sorry for the delay, been having a lot of trouble with a trapped nerve in my neck causing a lot of issues with my left arm, I can't lift it above my shoulder, it doesn't hurt it just won't go any higher, also grip strength is very low, the whole arm feels slightly numb, vibrato is very hard to do, not because of pain, my arm just won't respond. Can't get to a physio unless I go to A&E and I'm not venturing into a hospital at the moment, I'll wait until the private physio opens locally. It makes playing guitar tricky. I've been doing my own manipulation, it crops up once in a while so I can do what the physio told me when I first went with it. It's a very strange feeling, a bit like when you have an injection for a filling in your tooth and it is starting to wear off or when you've had a gruelling squat session and your legs feel like jelly.

https://youtu.be/QyPuRsZhprc

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 29 2020, 09:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2020, 02:36 AM
Look at him go!! The first one is brisk and I like your aggression!! It's great to see you pushing the edge! There is an extra note on the high string section but it's very clean considering the speed! The second one is perfect. This lick is one that you are probably already familiar with. It's a classic lick that works in just about every solo. You've probably used this lick before in solos. It's a very handy lick to have on your lick library!!! For kicks, try double picking it !!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 29 2020, 04:01 PM) *
TBC20 Pt 1 Take 1 Sarge.

First pass is at my current limit second is more comfortable. Sorry for the delay, been having a lot of trouble with a trapped nerve in my neck causing a lot of issues with my left arm, I can't lift it above my shoulder, it doesn't hurt it just won't go any higher, also grip strength is very low, the whole arm feels slightly numb, vibrato is very hard to do, not because of pain, my arm just won't respond. Can't get to a physio unless I go to A&E and I'm not venturing into a hospital at the moment, I'll wait until the private physio opens locally. It makes playing guitar tricky. I've been doing my own manipulation, it crops up once in a while so I can do what the physio told me when I first went with it. It's a very strange feeling, a bit like when you have an injection for a filling in your tooth and it is starting to wear off or when you've had a gruelling squat session and your legs feel like jelly.

https://youtu.be/QyPuRsZhprc

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 1 2020, 08:50 PM
Part 2 & 3 Sarge,

You may notice a strange body movement when I slide down from the 5th to 3rd fret in the part 2 vid, it's what I have to do to get my arm to get moving with this nerve impingement laugh.gif

Not sure part 3 is up to scratch Sarge, my arm seemed to move a little easier on that one for some reason. Funny old thing, joint issues eh?

https://youtu.be/rADOHorA-iA

Part 3
https://youtu.be/PUwruDQssqQ

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 1 2020, 09:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2020, 05:48 AM
Well Fought Soldier! You have a good handle on these licks which is great to see. It was only when I watched the third video that I realized I'd left out important parts of the tab! I re did the tab, to wit!!!

Attached File  TBC_20_Pt_3.gp5 ( 1.85K ) Number of downloads: 169

Attached Image

This is why this bit is separate. The goal is to to keep a light palm mute, and strike the open string and then hammer on the next two notes. This allows this lick to be played smooth and brisk with minimal picking. Due to the mute, it sounds like it's all picked, even though it's only one pick strike every three notes.

Being a bit of perfectionist/completionist, I'm putting the new tab here and it will be updated on the Mission page as well by Fran. I do appreciate all of your help in getting this Mission sorted. I"m going to make a video for this one as well. So the first two vids are set and try the third vid with the new tab and BAM MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 1 2020, 03:50 PM) *
Part 2 & 3 Sarge,

You may notice a strange body movement when I slide down from the 5th to 3rd fret in the part 2 vid, it's what I have to do to get my arm to get moving with this nerve impingement laugh.gif

Not sure part 3 is up to scratch Sarge, my arm seemed to move a little easier on that one for some reason. Funny old thing, joint issues eh?

https://youtu.be/rADOHorA-iA

Part 3
https://youtu.be/PUwruDQssqQ

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 2 2020, 08:03 PM
Part 3 take 2 Sarge.

https://youtu.be/wvyR-5t86go

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2020, 04:57 AM
BINGO!! That's freaking PERFECT!! Exactly what I wanted to see. You've got this sorted Soldier!! That last one in particular shows how far you've come as a player. The technique, timing, it's all there. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

CONTROL- First thing I'm looking at is your level of CONTROL. Control over your fingers is one of the most important things I'm trying to teach here. If your fingers are out of control, out of synch, you will never be able to shred. You gain more control each mission and I"m stoked to see it.

ARTICULATION
- The second thing I'm looking at is your ARTICULATION. It's got several bits to test your picking and you nailed it!!! You have very good pick articulation here. Not wagging the pick to far from the string, not going to deep on each strike. Spiff!

MUTE- Lastly I wanna see a solid palm mute! These licks are built to show flaws in muting and picking. They simply can't be played properly if there are gaps in your mute. The good news is your muting is solid as a rock.

You got this down cold soldier!!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 2 2020, 03:03 PM) *
Part 3 take 2 Sarge.

https://youtu.be/wvyR-5t86go

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2020, 06:34 AM
You are ready for 21 Soldier!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 4 2020, 06:38 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mission_21___Third_Harmonization.gp5 ( 3.1K ) Number of downloads: 133

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 5 2020, 08:54 PM
21 Take 1 Sarge

https://youtu.be/2gV35P1FeW0

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2020, 04:11 AM
BINGO!!! That's exactly it Soldier!! Your pacing is solid and smooth and even. This is a speedbump lick. It's got a slow easy part to trick the hand in to playing fast and then a crazy fast part so that the hand hits the wall when trying to play the fast part relative to the slow part and keep it sounding smooth. This is the trap that many a fine player have fallen victim to. Not you soldier!!! You saw it coming. You didn't over play the slow part so that you were not stuck scrambling during the brisk part. Nay, the entire thing was solid and steady. Well done. You've got exactly what I was hoping out of this Misison. From this point, try to add one beat per minute after a few revolutions, then another. This slow march of speed can seem tedious. It's a far cry from the "burst" approach. It's a different way of building speed. One BPM at a time. The good news is, once you build speed in this manner, you can play at your best speed for extended periods of time, instead of only being able to play briskly in bursts which is what many players get stuck doing.

Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

MUTE OR DIE
The first thing I want to see if a solid Palm mute on this as it's required to keep string noise at bay. The tricky thing is that you have to mute while doing all this delicate picking work. It's a far cry from muting while doing power chords. That's the point of this Mission, to combine your muting with subtle pick articulation and you did it! All you need to do now is keep doing repetitions and bumping up the metronome. You have the foundations, all that remains is the speed. Once you can play this lick at speed, you can play pretty much anything at speed. Not burst speed, sustained, as long as you want, speed. Not that it's always called for, but when it is, you will have the chops to pull it off.

PRECISION Precise as a Scalpel. Precision is KEY on this one as it's always moving and has two entirely different speeds in the same riff. Miss one note, it falls apart. You pick each one and keep synch/pace. Nice!

CONTROL
No extra string noise, no unwanted notes and very even and deliberate pacing. All of the elements coming together here Soldier. Like I said previously, a bit of repetition and you will have your "Shred Legs" in place and playing briskly, even for long periods, will be no problem at all. I've always thought that ones creative expression should not be limited by ones technical ability and you are very close to eliminating any technical restraints on your uplaying.

Very well done Soldier. This is a VERY tricky bit and you played it with confidence. Did you end up using one of the THU patches I made or use one as a starting place to make your own ? Just curious about the tone, sounds nice!

You just.

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Super congrats Soldier. This is a big Milestone in your journey!! Onward!!

Here is that OVERLOUD THU "Pushed Tube Amp" patch! smile.gif

Attached File  HardPushed_Tube_Amp.ovp.zip ( 2.74K ) Number of downloads: 147

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 5 2020, 03:54 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 6 2020, 04:20 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 6 2020, 10:02 AM
Thanks Sarge,

I tried the YJM patch but it seemed to increase banking noise from the palm mute. I could use the other as I didn't have the ovp file.

I used one of the TH-U Modern Metal patches. I'll let you know which one later when I'm home. I just added the "Quiet" nose gate, nice and simple.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2020, 07:16 PM
Here is the OVP file for the second patch just in case. I included it in the bottom of your critique. Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it. Like every patch, it may not work as is for you. But it's a good start on a pushed tube amp rig. It's a tube amp being pushed by pedals. Building these up, even from a starter patch is a great way to understand signal path/chain.

I"m hoping that using a patch like this will allow you to play with a bit lighter picking hand which will open up your speed and smoothness quite a bit. Also, the added compression makes it easier on your left hand as well so that you don't have to press as hard to fret. You still can of course, it just changes the tone a bit. But learning to play with a light touch is one of the things that will take your play to the next level. For example, watch SLASH play a solo. Looks like he is barely extending any effort at all. The natural compression of his high wattage tube amps is doing it naturally.

Attached File  HardPushed_Tube_Amp.ovp.zip ( 2.74K ) Number of downloads: 148

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 6 2020, 05:02 AM) *
Thanks Sarge,

I tried the YJM patch but it seemed to increase banking noise from the palm mute. I could use the other as I didn't have the ovp file.

I used one of the TH-U Modern Metal patches. I'll let you know which one later when I'm home. I just added the "Quiet" nose gate, nice and simple.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 6 2020, 07:28 PM

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:52 AM