Marshall Jvm 410h Versus H&k Switchblade, Possible to use my old combo-speaker?
ZakkWylde
Oct 6 2007, 08:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey guys,
I am going to buy a tube-halfstack till the end of the year and i need some advice. It definatly will be a marshall 1960 4x12 cab but I'm not sure about the head: Marshall Jvm 410h or Hughes & Kettner Switchblade? I tried both of them and I can't decide which one to take home. Does someone have experiences with those two or should I get something diffrent like an Engl Powerball,Mesa Boogie Rectifier...

The other question is: Can I run the head through the speaker of my old Marshall Avt50x Combo (12'' speaker, broken overdrive channel, 4Ω input)? I thought I could play through the smaller speaker at home and leave the cab at my bands rehearsal room. Is it possible to run a 100watt head through the combo and will it still be too loud to play at home?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 6 2007, 09:14 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Regarding the second qestion - yes, you can run your head through the old combo cab, but you need to be careful:

1. Make sure you match the impedances correctly - there will be an impedance selector or different outputs on the head for this

2. Check the power rating of the combo speaker - if your head is 100W and the speaker is rated at 25W you will obviously blow it of you turn it all the way up. If you are careful and keep the output down you should be ok. This isn't as easy as it sounds though because power levels on amps usually aren't linear owing to the way the human ear works. Half volume on a 100W amp would typically be something like 10W output, but it would sound half as loud (but only if the amp is setup this way).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 6 2007, 09:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I never played the JVM410 but I own the Switchblade so I can give you my opinion on it since I've had it for quite a while now.

Clean channel: is great, I really like the cleans from this amp and the way it goes into crunch when the gain is raised.
Crunch channel: It's ok, takes a little more tweaking imho but all the sounds are there, mind the presence control it's very useful, and with the built in effects you can nail EVH brown sound. Pretty cool!
Lead channel: Oh boy... This is a Marshall all over laugh.gif Seriously, heavy metal all the way - from the 80's to modern hi gain. I love this channel so much!
Ultra: Mesa Boogie, who needs one? Full and fat sound, the sound is like a marshmallow that swells in your mouth. I love this channel too!

The built in effects are alright, the delay is good even. I don't find the need to run delay through a pedal anymore.
And of course the MIDI keaboard and storing of sounds. Just great.

Since you're in germany the H&K should be well priced. You could for sure import the JVM from the UK and save a few Euro's.
ENGL, also well priced for you. I'd rate them great for modern punchy metal, forget about marshall grit and brown sound but they stand for something else. Low end heavy right in your face punch.
For progressive metal I think they beat the H&K ultra channel, though the HK Ultra would resemble a Mesa if you like but not any of the ENGL models. The EL34 model maybe.
Mesa... I think they are over priced. Love the sound but you can get close enough but never spot on for plenty of less money. Good enough for me. Of course Mesa owners will call me crazy for comparing the HK Ultra channel with a Mesa in general but whatever, they paid three times more for thir stuff so certainly they have earned their right to dismiss all comparance made. wink.gif

Keep us updated on your hunt for an amp head.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 6 2007, 10:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
I will update you guys and thx for your help

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:45 AM