Lukasz Drazek, First steps in the world of improvisation
Darius Wave
Apr 10 2013, 08:48 PM
Instructor
First of all we have to improve Your friendship with the fingerboard. Let's start from upgrading the A-minor pentatonic which You know well, to the full A-natural minor scale - in only one - fifth position. After You'll be able to play it down to up notes with no hesitation we'll do the next step. Inform me when You'll be ready.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Lukasz Drazek
Apr 10 2013, 09:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Now im ready. I can play A-natural minor scale up and down on 5th position now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 11 2013, 09:48 AM
Instructor
Ok...so now let's talk a little about what improvisation really is in practice.

1. Theory and knowlege are a must but we will do it step by step, starting from the simple major and minor keys.

2. Feeling - notes we play and dynamics we feel even thought we didn't consider names of the notes and it's relations - we just feel they fit. For example - while playing melodies based on half steps and whole steps, we can easily feel which note would be next (half or whole step) in particaular key / chord progression

3. Licks - things we just know and we have them done by hours/days/months/years of practise. We do not think in a speed of 20 notes per second. We have to practise first and then use the lick while we feel it will work in a particular place of the impro. It's very rare to create technical licks "live" while improvising (it happens but it's magic of the moment:) ).

4. Emotions - they can lead as to the places we never thought we could be smile.gif The "Damn...I've never played something like that before" factor. Many times You let your emotions own You for a moment...You play many things out of the "safe spots" on the fingerboard.

5. Note relations to the backing chords. It's very important to start to learn how each interval sounds - what is it's character. Learning to feel intervals helps to find positioning of the notes we already hear in our heads, while playing. We need to know where to find them and how they sound. Good way of practising intervals is finding popular melodies that starts from sepcyfic interval - it's like minor 6th = Love Story theme (first 2 notes).

Of course...there are more factor but gonna get to them later.

Good thing is to start working on phrasing. Sometimes is much more interesting to use only three notes but with lot's of dynamics, rhtythm and articulation. Very often Young players say "I can't improvise because I don't know scales"...that's a bad attitude. Before Your learn to use scales, learn how to make simple melodies....how to make music (not just guitar playing), and color it with available rhythm, dynamics and mentioned articulation

My first task for You would be to get that backing track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrdIdKHkxQA

Now...imagine You're a vocalist...not a guitar player. Make a song of it. Use the notes of A-natural minor You just learned. Make me feel like You were covering someone's song that had a lirycs and vocal track. Notice that many popular melodies are pretty simple and based on a few repeatable licks. Now...We wanna do the same with this one. Create two different melodies - verse and the chorus. Each of them can be very simple and based even on just a few notes but while You repeat same thre notes try to not copy the way You play it...

For example :

If Your melody is just a simple A B C A B C A B C A B D...than try to play different each A B C section. If You used legato for the first section , You could use some bends in the next one. Think about all available articulation like...vibrato, bends, slides, legato, tapping, muting etc...

Record Your take over it

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Jun 14 2013, 01:11 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 14 2013, 01:33 PM
Instructor
Ok. Very good start. This is what should happen in Your head with a highest priority. Now...repeating the same notes gives as some time for thinking about what's gonna happen next.

No there are 2 things You need to do:

1. Use wider range of dynamic - add some legatos, harmonics, change the rhythm a bit - do somethng that will make the repeated notes something special...You can use some bends too smile.gif

2. Licks...there are moments with suspended notes for example g on the 5th fret / d string. You can fill those spots with the lick You learned from some previous lessons. Try to find at least two licks from lessons that You master and adopt the to start from the mentioned G note. Those can be some tapping, sweep, picking or legato licks...whatever but those are cool moments for doing some effective stuff.

Ask for help if any problems with licks transposition between different keys

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jun 14 2013, 01:48 PM

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Oct 8 2013, 09:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Can you find another backing track. It will be something fresh for me. And I will do the same with this.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 9 2013, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Ok.I think very good backing track for improvising workout would be the one we used at the video chat. Beofre we'll go into this please try to spend sime time on watching video recording from the chat one week ago. It was and itroduction and a few concepts about simple phrases and dynamics over it. Let me know when Your done. Link to the backing track and to the chat video recordings are included in my last two posts at "video chat notes".

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Dec 17 2013, 09:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi!
I wanna join into "Less is more", I choose backing from https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Melodi...ck_Ballad_Solo/ and record few bars of my improvisation, i hope you can get some feedback and some tips to make it better smile.gif its only 20s

https://soundcloud.com/ukasz-dr-ek-2/first

This post has been edited by Lukasz Drazek: Dec 18 2013, 12:12 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2013, 01:23 PM
Instructor
HeY Łukasz!

First things that come to my mind are:

1. The tone...a bit too much treble - try to take off some treble, high or presence on whatever kind of simulation You use.

2. I like the idea for melody but it's too straight - I mean too many equal notes. Try to think of some triplet feel or moving a few notes toward the 16th accents...not just all on straight 8th notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Dec 25 2013, 04:54 PM
Learning Roadie
What do you think about teaching me theory from 0, with 1 week tasks? From totally begining or something like that?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 31 2013, 02:56 PM
Instructor
That's a great idea smile.gif we'll start tomorrow. Have a happy new year Lukasz smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Dec 31 2013, 04:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 31 2013, 02:56 PM) *
That's a great idea smile.gif we'll start tomorrow. Have a happy new year Lukasz smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif i will have access to internet around 2nd January. So we can start that day smile.gif And Happy New Year once again smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 1 2014, 06:42 PM
Instructor
Before We start I need to know what parts of theory are already familiar to You?

Also I have to notice that fretboard notes layout is essential to any theory workshops. How good You are with the "notes on frets" knowledge ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Jan 1 2014, 09:19 PM
Learning Roadie
I can find notes in fretboard, but still give me some time, when i need to find # or b notes. But in some time i can figure out how its going on. And i know A minor 5th fret box. smile.gif i need expand teory a lot biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 2 2014, 03:34 PM
Instructor
Ok. You very first task is to find out the rules of how to build major and minor (aeolian) scale from any note. There are two shemes worth knowing. Try to remember relation between each note in the scale. This will help You to build major or minor scale from any note of Your choice.

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Jan 2 2014, 06:29 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 2 2014, 09:54 PM
Instructor
I'm afraid this video is not enough. Guitar is a clever instrument. We can just shift the position and we easy got a new scale but...our target is the theory so I would like You to become an "instructor" for a moment and try to explain me how to build major and minor scale without guitar. What are the rules? Remember - theory rules are common for all instruments. Positions doesn't work for an other instruments - for example: violin is not tuned in 4th's and it has different shapes for the scales. Try to imagine how can You describe the scale so every musicians could understand.

Sorry for not just giving the answer but the more things You'll figure out by yourself, the more You'll remember forever wink.gif

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Jan 2 2014, 10:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Major scale building like this:
Root note --> whole tone --> whole tone --> half tone --> whole tone -->whole tone --> whole tone --> half tone --> root

example:
1. C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C
2. A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A

Minor scale building:
Root note --> whole tone --> half tone --> whole tone --> whole tone --> half tone --> whole tone --> whole tone --> root

example:
1. C - D - Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C
2. A - B - C - D - E - F - G -A

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 2 2014, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Ok. Let's attach two popular shapes for those scales. Try to play both octaves (through all 6 strings - down - up)

1. 3 notes per string (repeat same notes on G and B strings) If You start from C (8th fret) You'll have fingering like
-1-2-4 | 1-2-4 | 1h-2-4 | 1h-2-4 | 1-2-4 | 1-2-4 | This form is probably the most popular in a lot of fast lick 3-notes perstring patterns.

2nd and 4th finger always play on 10 and 12 fret while 1st moves from 8 to 9 (1h = half step - 9,10,12 frets on one strings ::: all other are 8,10,12 frets). Try to show me this and...

FIND ANOTHER SHAPE FOR MAJOR SCALE on both octaves

+Quote Post
Lukasz Drazek
Jan 3 2014, 01:36 PM
Learning Roadie
This shape what you show me isnt major shape? i need find next shape for major scale? dont touch minor, right?

This post has been edited by Lukasz Drazek: Jan 3 2014, 01:50 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:33 PM