Piano For A Guitar Player
wollace03
Feb 17 2013, 08:20 AM
GMC:er
Hi!

I just bought a yamaha clp-470 for my sons and I really fell in love with the piano!

Attached Image

so I am looking for good online lessons or ressources for me to learn the basics of the piano to use it for some recording or just to play around.
I don´t want to learn the way my son learns because I dont want to become a serious piano player (I have enough to do with the guitar).
I just wanna compose some melodies, use it for some recording in my own songs and for some midi recording - well and maybe play a few easy songs. and of course I hope that it helps my to get better at music-theory.

so are there other piano playing guitarist and do you have some tips for me how to learn?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 17 2013, 12:16 PM
Instructor
I have no clue on how to do it academically, but, if I were to start from scratch, I would use my theory knowledge and apply it on another instrument smile.gif

On the other hand, you might want to take a look here: http://teach-yourself-piano.no1reviews.com/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
zoom
Feb 17 2013, 12:31 PM
Learning Roadie
I've taught myself to play bass notes on left hand and chords on right hand. I find I can play a lot of stuff with this. With the chords I my play them as arpeggios and add extra notes. I also sit with my kids and help them with lessons so I'm learning properly.

+Quote Post
wollace03
Feb 17 2013, 12:33 PM
thanxs!

there some stuff to check out!
the main reason I wanna lean to play piano is to get better at theory - right now I am not good enough to use much of my theory to learn the piano.... although I am able to see and play triads and "chords" on the piano .....

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 17 2013, 03:29 PM
Learning Roadie
I've got back into trying to play too.

Thank God I use midi and can quantize and fix my mistakes!

I want to get better at playing and that I guess will come with more practice.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2013, 08:44 AM
Instructor
The only thing that I have actually took time to figure out on the piano, was a little phrase - obsessive and repeating - played by a little monkey on a barrel organ at the circus smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Feb 21 2013, 09:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey, nice to see that other gutarist play the piano. I took piano lessons in my childhood.

I think it's good to start playing cords with the left hand and play the melody with the right. I often play in that way and it works geat.

My suggestion for you in 4 steps:
1: choose 4 cords
2: play them with the left hand and repeat it
3: play a simple melody with the right hand over it
4: when you are confident with that you can change the speed or the beat (4/4 to 3/4 ...) or play more than one note with the right hand....

If you are interested, I can do a short video with this 4 steps. It will may help you.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 22 2013, 09:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ninjastorm @ Feb 21 2013, 08:57 PM) *
Hey, nice to see that other gutarist play the piano. I took piano lessons in my childhood.

I think it's good to start playing cords with the left hand and play the melody with the right. I often play in that way and it works geat.

My suggestion for you in 4 steps:
1: choose 4 cords
2: play them with the left hand and repeat it
3: play a simple melody with the right hand over it
4: when you are confident with that you can change the speed or the beat (4/4 to 3/4 ...) or play more than one note with the right hand....

If you are interested, I can do a short video with this 4 steps. It will may help you.

Any inspirational video is welcome here smile.gif Feel free to share it with us man!

+Quote Post
wollace03
Feb 22 2013, 09:35 AM
Hi ninjastorm!
A video would be great!
thanxs for the tip.
I tried it today in the morning with F / Bb / C7 / F - it was great fun and really sounded like music - although it is very hard to concentrate on both hands at the same time!

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Feb 22 2013, 11:04 AM
Concentrate on both hand is may the most difficult part here. But this is increasing automatically with practise. The different to the guitar is to play with both hands asynchronous.

I will upload the video as soon as possible wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 23 2013, 08:01 AM
Instructor
Looking forward to it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Feb 23 2013, 03:34 PM
Thank for your interest in a piano video biggrin.gif

And here it is. There are some mistakes in the playing and i had to EQ the sound a bit. But it should be ok now. wink.gif

(You will find more information in the description on youtube.)

This post has been edited by Ninjastorm: Feb 23 2013, 03:37 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 23 2013, 03:49 PM
Learning Roadie
I took piano lessons when I was 8 years old, and then on for several years. I learned a lot about theory. It wasn't until in my late teens I would pick up the guitar. Unfortunately, I stopped playing piano all together, so now I'm out of practice. Great playing, Ninjastorm!

Actually, I just remembered I have a tutorial on how to play Chopsticks. I made it back in November 2009. smile.gif

I also have a September 2009 video of my playing an old hymn "Sweet Hour of Prayer."

+Quote Post
wollace03
Feb 23 2013, 04:26 PM
thanx for the videos....
very inspiring to see other guys here playing piano beside of guitarplaying...
..sweet hour of praying is a nice piece of music!!

and ninjastorm, your lesson vid sounds amazing... I will try that tonight. 4 chords and a little melody and it sounds like a real amazing song!!! I will definitely learn that,.....

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Feb 24 2013, 11:55 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 23 2013, 03:49 PM) *
I took piano lessons when I was 8 years old, and then on for several years. I learned a lot about theory. It wasn't until in my late teens I would pick up the guitar. Unfortunately, I stopped playing piano all together, so now I'm out of practice. Great playing, Ninjastorm!

thx.You will may give the piano a second chance. I would love to see more piano videos from you. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (wollace03 @ Feb 23 2013, 04:26 PM) *
thanx for the videos....
very inspiring to see other guys here playing piano beside of guitarplaying...
..sweet hour of praying is a nice piece of music!!

and ninjastorm, your lesson vid sounds amazing... I will try that tonight. 4 chords and a little melody and it sounds like a real amazing song!!! I will definitely learn that,.....

My pleasure! Good luck for your improvisation! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 24 2013, 04:59 PM
Instructor
I enjoyed the video very much and I think I spotted some principles regarding the hand synch out of the phrases you have played smile.gif Thank you!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:01 AM