Jvm410 Head Just Went Crackle Pop...
Spock
Jan 4 2014, 05:07 PM
GMC:er
Then SILENT!!!

Direct and through the speakers - not even static! I know that after attempting to replace a $2 part on my PODHD, which ended up in the trash when I was done, I don't think I will be attempting anything to do with soldering.

This just happened and I'm all over the net looking for what others say - is this what happens when a tube blows out?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 4 2014, 05:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 4 2014, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Pfff.. never been there man, sorry, but I'm sure that someone here had gone through or heard about something similar.. Let's wait smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 4 2014, 06:03 PM
REJOICE!!! I found a guy locally that fixes these amps and said the entire thing would cost me about $120-$150 which includes labor.

He's a guy that the local music stores use and then put their cut on top of his work... http://ampworks.org/about.html

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 4 2014, 06:59 PM
Instructor
I hope He'll fix Your amp. I'm not sure about the JVM but marshall's usually had sort of "weird" fx loop. It wasn't exactly after the preamp but somewhere in the middle. I was always way from Marshalla because of the tone damage after plug in anything in to fx loop. I have nothing bad to say about the tone but this one technical issue always made me angry. Maybe try to contact Ben. he has a 410 too as far as I remember

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 4 2014, 09:16 PM
Instructor
I'm sorry to hear about this ><

My JVM once went pop and fizz but didn't stop working.. it just had an awful noise. I sent it back to Marshall and they repaired it under warranty (even though it wasn't still under warranty !?) so I was very lucky there. My band mate also had the same thing happen to his Marshall and he'd had his even less longer than mine.

The repair guy is your best bet. I hope it gets sorted ok !

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 5 2014, 12:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 4 2014, 05:03 PM) *
REJOICE!!! I found a guy locally that fixes these amps and said the entire thing would cost me about $120-$150 which includes labor.

He's a guy that the local music stores use and then put their cut on top of his work... http://ampworks.org/about.html

Sounds like he is Godsent in these moments, eh? smile.gif I am the kind of guy that always asks for professional help when it comes down to something I have no clue about, so I would rejoice too in the situation in which I would find help that quickly. Let us know how it went wink.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 5 2014, 04:59 PM
Indeed I will let you guys know how it turns out. It does not appear that any of the large tubes are blown, they all glow, but evidently there are 4 smaller tubes - and it is interesting that the problem could stem from the FX loop. Also interesting that this is not an isolated incident.

Still, I love this amp and regardless of this hiccup, am very happy with it, although I did have a BLAST playing on my friends Dual Rectifier last weekend, I like the high end you get out of the Marshalls.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 5 2014, 08:26 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 5 2014, 10:59 AM) *
Indeed I will let you guys know how it turns out. It does not appear that any of the large tubes are blown, they all glow, but evidently there are 4 smaller tubes - and it is interesting that the problem could stem from the FX loop. Also interesting that this is not an isolated incident.

Still, I love this amp and regardless of this hiccup, am very happy with it, although I did have a BLAST playing on my friends Dual Rectifier last weekend, I like the high end you get out of the Marshalls.

The smaller tubes are pre-amp tubes. Sounds like the problem I had with my Mesa, blew 2 fuses then got a weird hum every once and awhile. Then one day I heard a pop. Was pretty cheap to repair, super easy as well.

Just wait till you get this all fixed up, if they are older tubes. It'll feel as if you have a brand new amp! But that's a great relief to hear it's something so simple! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 6 2014, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 5 2014, 07:26 PM) *
The smaller tubes are pre-amp tubes. Sounds like the problem I had with my Mesa, blew 2 fuses then got a weird hum every once and awhile. Then one day I heard a pop. Was pretty cheap to repair, super easy as well.

Just wait till you get this all fixed up, if they are older tubes. It'll feel as if you have a brand new amp! But that's a great relief to hear it's something so simple! biggrin.gif

Haha biggrin.gif Amazing - well, my friend has a Road King and he never replaced the tubes out of what I know.. but that amp rolls sweet as hell since 2009 I think and the thing is, he plays it at least 2 times a week in gigging conditions. Lucky chance?

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 10 2014, 08:43 PM
Just got the word, it is going to cost me $140 total. It needs a new set of tubes, and he is going with J.J. Electronics and also, high-output diodes or something like that. He said he has those around the shop.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 10 2014, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 6 2014, 03:29 AM) *
Haha biggrin.gif Amazing - well, my friend has a Road King and he never replaced the tubes out of what I know.. but that amp rolls sweet as hell since 2009 I think and the thing is, he plays it at least 2 times a week in gigging conditions. Lucky chance?

I like the craftsmanship of Mesa, that and it has the unique tone. You can get a nice clean/jazz tone, blues, and some high-gain (with a boost). Was such a great amp. Road Kings I believe have more options to play with, which would be saweet!

But I did own an Egnator a little 60w head, got loud, didn't do much for my playing tho. It only did cleans to like an ac/dc tone that's it. But I had it I bet 2-3 years and I played it a lot. I never once changed the tubes in it.

Now I'm far away from amps. Tho I would still like to have a Mesa Mark V combo amp. Maybe that will add warmth to my Kemper, that's the only missing feature to running digital to me.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2014, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Yes man - that Road King is like a little factory... I mean, I for one get dizzy whenever I end up behind Cezar's amp biggrin.gif

Our other mate, Dan, has a Roadster - that one is nice too, but it kinda lacks definition.. somehow. In comparison to the Road King I mean. Ever tried one of those?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:52 PM