Pickups
Vaidya
Sep 21 2010, 07:31 PM
Learning Roadie
So,
my friend was telling me something about pickups.He mentioned "Active" and "Passive".So what are these?

One more thing,is $1200 a good price for this guitar?
MAB1 Armorflame

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 21 2010, 07:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Passive pickups are the most commen ones, they work with copperwound coils arround magnets. And there are active pickups like the EMG pickups or the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, they have less powerfull magnets but they have an internal preamp that is powered by a battery that you have to put into your guitar!

Passive pickups usually have better dynamics and a more natural tone while active pickups are almost noiseless, sound very clear but not very dynamic...

And this is NOT a good guitar! I have tried several DEAN guitars now and I have even owned two in this price region and all I can say is that they are a total waste of money. The hardware is great but the build and wood quality are usually worse than guitars that cost half as much on other companies. I have yet to play a Dean guitar made outside of the USA that is worth it's money!!!

For 1200$ you can get a much better guitar!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 21 2010, 08:33 PM
GMC:er
Well said Zakk! As usual, great info on all points. I have to agree as well on the Dean build quality. The American Made Deans are very nice instruments. The rest have yet to impress me. They look cool, but that's about it. They just skimp on the build. Dean has been signing everybody they can get their hands on these days to pimp their guitars so they are really doing some great marketing. But the guitars that the big guys play are quite different than the knock off versions in the mid price range.

if you could actually play the one's the big guys get custom built for them, or get one of the American made ones, you'd love it. But the prices are a bit nuts in that range.

Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:44 PM