What Is The First Artist/band You Started Diggin?
Robin
Jul 10 2007, 04:24 PM
GMC:er
What is the first artist/band you actually started to listen to and how old were you? I'm not talking about stuff like "Well, I liked one from from Britney spears". I'm talking about bands that you really were into.

Mine must be D.D.E and Trang Fødsel, I was around 5-6 years old.
These are two really good norwegian bands. I cant really say I like D.D.E anymore though tongue.gif
Dont really know what genre to place them in.
I listened to this alot at that time. Think I need to start checking out some Trang Fødsel again, they just released a new album biggrin.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BGGzsskpBVU - Trang Fødsel. AWESOME! biggrin.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-k6zBI18hY4 - D.D.E. Lol these guys are just too cool biggrin.gif

So whats your very first favorite band? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Pavel
Jul 10 2007, 04:26 PM
Instructor
I think i was 12, Green Day. But just for the record - i can't listen to punk any more!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 10 2007, 04:29 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 10 2007, 03:26 PM) *
I think i was 12, Green Day. But just for the record - i can't listen to punk any more!

Haha, yeah I also listened to these new "punk" bands at that age tongue.gif now I cant stand that #¤%*! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 10 2007, 04:31 PM
I remember that summer when I was 10. "All star" by Smashmouth was like the biggest song out there at the time,

That Is the first band I remember really liking. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 10 2007, 05:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 10 2007, 09:26 AM) *

Thats too bad there's a lot of good punk music smile.gif

The first stuff I was really into, because of my dad, would have been Bob Dylan, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones. Nowadays I absolutely can't stand dylan's crooning (though his songs are pretty good) but I still love the other two. Aside from my parents, I just remember my brother who is about 10 years older than me putting on some metallica, and so I was sucked into that and still am.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 10 2007, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (Slammer @ Jul 10 2007, 10:31 AM) *
I remember that summer when I was 10. "All star" by Smashmouth was like the biggest song out there at the time,

That Is the first band I remember really liking. laugh.gif

Same here laugh.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 10 2007, 05:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:25 PM) *
Same here laugh.gif

ELO unsure.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 10 2007, 05:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 10 2007, 06:25 PM) *
Thats too bad there's a lot of good punk music smile.gif

I stopped listening to it because i don't like the style itself!! After getting to know metal bands i stopped listening to any punk bands! Also - the more i improve on guitar the pickier i am about the music!! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 10 2007, 05:52 PM
Mine was the Beatles. Granted, I'm not old enough to be around when they were big, my uncle got me into them.

Shortly after that was Metallica.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 10 2007, 06:36 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Megadeth and Judas Priest.

Then along came Iron Maiden and i havent looked back.

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 10 2007, 08:56 PM
Other side of the coin
There were a few bands I took over from my sister (or her friends) in my pre/early teens... The Cure, U2, Sting/The Police... Then at the end of public school (early nineties) and through gymnasium/high school, I finally found "my own" bands - Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, held on to The Cure...

And then there was Dizzy Mizz Lizzy - somewhat like Robin, that's a Danish band that noone outside Scandinavia has ever heard of (well, they got a bit of fame in Japan). To this day, they're still somewhat legendary - not for technique, more for catchy, classic rock-inspired songs... My band does a few covers now and then. People have been known to name their cats after them wink.gif Tim, the guitarist and lead singer went on to be probably one of the greatest guitarists in Denmark. This is before then wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZePJNKhmxOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkm3vKNBk1U

YouTube doesn't have the really good stuff tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jul 10 2007, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 10 2007, 09:15 PM
okay I got three ways to answer this question:

Bands I listened to because my parents liked them and I inheritly loved at a very early age:
-Billy Joel
-Elton John
-Frank Sinatra
-Styx
-The Eagles

Music my older brother listened to when I was in elementary school
-Mainly old school 90s hip-hop/R&B/Club/Dance music (ie - MC Hammer, La Bouche, etc.)

the first band I really liked all by myself

I have to say it - NSYNC and Backstreet Boys dominate this question - I was about 9. Until then I just listened to my parents' music (which I now like better than these bands obviously), but it is fun once in a while to regress and listen to some old uber-pop boy-band songs haha. laugh.gif

The first rock bands I was into all by myself were Blink182 and Linkin Park.

This post has been edited by Pantalaimon: Jul 10 2007, 09:15 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 11 2007, 12:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The first band I really reallt digged was Iron Maiden, guessing I was 10 yrs old. Got their self entitled album, next I got Judas Priest - Point of Entry - and later on I got Maiden, Killers. And I got em when they were released so it must have been -80 -81.

Maiden was #1 and Judas #2

those were the days biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 11 2007, 12:35 AM
Chili Peppers...age 11-12...can't recall, then 311 at age 14

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 11 2007, 12:41 AM
For me was The Offspring when i was about 10, they were the first band and i got right into their old stuff, I then dumped those guys and fell in love with metal. At about 17 I watch Jimi Hendrix at woodstock and thats when i decided i wanted to play guitar! Hendrix is my favourite now for sure, and now i listen to alot of blues, not much metal anymore.

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 11 2007, 12:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
I was into -shame on me- Limp Bizkit when I was arround 11 years old, then I discovered Metallica and the rest is history \m/

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 11 2007, 12:44 AM
When I was like 9 my brother bought this cd called Family Values tour 98. Korn and Limp Bizkit went big to me from there on. I listend to that stuff everyday.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Jul 11 2007, 03:43 AM
since i can remember ive liked guns n roses and pink floyd it was all my dad played besides Bruce Springsteen but i never really liked him then when i got gta vice city i heard megadeth and anthrax and started listening to thrash ALOT

This post has been edited by ClifordACDC: Jul 11 2007, 03:43 AM

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
kethcup
Jul 11 2007, 04:17 AM
This is my order of music:

Michael Jackson
Motley Crue
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Slipknot
Lamb of God

It just keeps getting heavier!! smile.gif All though, I do like many genres such as Ben Harper, Tracy Chapman, Seal, SRV, etc...

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 11 2007, 04:19 AM
I was 9 and i got a nirvana record from my uncle....

This post has been edited by ibanezkiller: Jul 27 2007, 03:58 PM

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:16 PM