In Need Of Advice.
Mellow Nel
Jan 24 2009, 07:54 PM
GMC:er
Hey there everyone!

I've been playing for around 4 years now.. I've had a few private lessons, but for the most part I've learned on my own. I've studied scale boxes, arpeggios, pentatonic patterns.. but whenever I play, it just doesn't sound right.. Almost like what I'm playing doesn't fit together.

I suppose my question/plea for help, is if anyone could point me in the direction of a lesson to help me out with this. I need help with staying on beat and making more melodic solos and rhythm sounds.

Thank you for your time!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jan 24 2009, 09:21 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well I can't suggest a specific lesson but anything on improvsisng or phrasing should help. And for help staying on beat just practice sometimes with a metronome/drum beat. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 24 2009, 11:54 PM
Instructor
I can suggest this lesson plan for you mate. It's is mainly intended for beginners, but don't let the lesson level fool you. I've found lot of useful information in all of these lessons. Also you can modify it so that you learn exactly what you need/want. Let me know if you have some additional questions, I'll be glad to help. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 25 2009, 01:51 AM
Instructor
Hi !

Since you've been playing for 4 years now, I really recommend you move your playing to next level. Learning lessons via tabs is good but it has its down side. Since you are struggling with melodic and rhythmic choices when you play my recommendation is one and only - TRANSCRIBE !

Start with simple riffs , sections, lessons at GMC even complete songs.

When you transcribe music using your ears you will gain so much more then by reading tabs or music notation !
One of the things that will become obvious is understanding of the rhythm and phrasing ! The more you transcribe, more you will hear patterns being repeated in different tempos, learn about question and answer phrasing hence your playing will sound much more connected and like it makes sense.
Melodic wise whatever you play , with strong phrasing (rhythm choice) - everything will sound good.

I hope that helps !

Feel free to ask any questions man

Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 25 2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor
For help in making more melodic solos and rhythm sounds, listen to some music that you like and you feel that has that kind of playing. Then like Pedja said, transcribe it. You can use tabs as guidelines if you feel that at first transcribing compeletely by ear is too difficult.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Jan 25 2009, 01:42 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 25 2009, 03:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mellow Nel @ Jan 24 2009, 01:54 PM) *
Hey there everyone!

I've been playing for around 4 years now.. I've had a few private lessons, but for the most part I've learned on my own. I've studied scale boxes, arpeggios, pentatonic patterns.. but whenever I play, it just doesn't sound right.. Almost like what I'm playing doesn't fit together.

I suppose my question/plea for help, is if anyone could point me in the direction of a lesson to help me out with this. I need help with staying on beat and making more melodic solos and rhythm sounds.

Thank you for your time!

What do you mean by it doesn't sound right?
Do you mean that the scales you use don't sound right with the rest of the music?
Or is it more of a technical thing?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jan 25 2009, 03:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I would suggest practicing with metronome/drum machine + learning some theory + improvising more. Also maybe try to think of some melody, and than try to play it. It isn't easy to improvise, especially if someone ( for example me ) used tabs for everything, played only songs made by some bands or practiced exercises like box shapes/patterns. I don't know for sure, but I think it is all about finding the music inside Yourself;)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 10:55 AM