Pinch Harmonics, any tips?
jollygreengiant
Dec 30 2008, 07:08 PM
GMC:er
whenever i try to play pinch harmonics the note is still not a clear squeal like how it should and wondered if my technique is wrong or if i just need more practice, any advice or recommended excersizes would be greatly appreciated

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 30 2008, 07:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think it's basically down to technique, but has nothing to do with directly practicing, but more of experimenting up and down the string with your picking hand, as the sound (and pinched note) depend on that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 30 2008, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Yeah,pinched harmonics don't need real practicing like other aspects of playing,
those are tiny tricks that show up after some while and experimenting.
Plus,you should have correct tone to produce them,
meaning enough gain,treble and such. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 07:31 PM
Instructor
I can only suggest that you try with several presets more, and try to pinch the harmonic on various places on the string, until you find the sweet spot. The more you play with it, the more you will be good at it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Dec 31 2008, 11:09 PM
Instructor
The sweet place of the string is ussually just over the freet (you have to make tha pinch thing as you were using a slide), and you can try to pinch with pick or a stiff and hard part of a finger and pluck the string with another free finger.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 31 2008, 11:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Experimenting and getting to know your own guitar is the way to go =)

On my Schecter, I find it easiest to get good pinches just below my neck pickup, depending on what note and string I try to pinch smile.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Dec 31 2008, 11:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Dec 31 2008, 11:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, i think (for me at least) it was just something that came gradually as i gained more control over my playing, cause i remember trying for hours to do it and it not working and then one day i realized i could do them...that being said practice all the things said above (different spots, new tones) to make it happen faster i think...i'd also focus on 3rd string as that is where it is easiest i think (maybe 3rd string, 4th fret)

Good luck!

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 1 2009, 09:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
It's indeed something that will come with time. One thing what also makes a bit of a difference (for me at least) is when I play with a pick with a very sharp tip, the pinch harmonics go a bit easier for me (but I like my overal tone more with my medium rounded picks, so I never use them smile.gif).

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 1 2009, 10:54 PM
Instructor
Couple of things should really help when practicing pinched harmonics !

- Choosing right sound (DISTORTION preferably)
- Choosing right pickup (Neck pickup should work!)
- Placing your hand in he middle close to Single coil pickup when practicing pinched harmonics.

These are just some basic things but they should get you long way before you sit down and wonder what went wrong smile.gif
Hope that helps

--------------------

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jan 1 2009, 10:55 PM
make sure to keep your thumb bent- that's aways what stops me from doing pinch harmonics, because my thumbs always flat on my pick. You need to hold the pick near the tip too.

And like a lot of other people said, look for sweet spots. There are a lot of riffs that use random harmonics- just to spice it up a little. Having a different note however is much harder. It just takes practice.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jan 2 2009, 04:01 AM
One thing you could do to find the "sweet spot" would be to search for where the note two octaves above the note you want to pinch harmonic would have been if you had frets up there. One way to do that is just to put your finger on the string and play with the pick like you normally would until you find the note (The sound won't be very clear, but you should be able to hear the note). When you find the note, try to pinch harmonic just on the spot where you found it and work it out from there with other notes tongue.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:10 AM