Jerry Cantrell
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 04:51 AM
GMC:er
Am I the only one here that really likes/appreciates his playing? Granted, he's not the most technically gifted guitarist, but I think he's very underrated and I think he's an awesome songwriter. I LOVE his riffs.

Here's a vid for one of my favorite songs, from one of my favorite albums: My Song

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 04:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I love jerry. I think he's a great singer too. Listen to him do 'Over now' (with AIC) too, hypnotized me the first time I heard it. Nice link by the way, thanks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 25 2008, 04:59 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 05:22 AM
Glad to see someone else appreciates the man! I agree that he's a great singer, as well. He and Layne had one of the greatest vocal harmonies I've ever heard. I just watched the Unplugged DVD earlier this afternoon, in fact. And I love his distorted tone. Makes me wanna go out and buy a Bogner. Unfortunately, they're waaaaaaaay out of my price range. Hey, I just noticed you're a fellow Southerner. Do you hate it as much as I do? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Sabbz: Jan 25 2008, 05:23 AM

--------------------
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 05:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Let me put it this way: Yes tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
RobM
Jan 25 2008, 06:05 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 24 2008, 11:30 PM) *
Let me put it this way: Yes tongue.gif

I live in the Northeast and here it's very fast paced (which I like) with a lot of very rude people who would rather watch you in trouble then go out of their way to help you(which I can't stand), but when I visited GA, SC & NC last year I loved it. My father has moved there and remarried since my mom passed away years ago and loves it to. I've been wanting to move down near my father since our visit last year. Can you fill me in on why you would not like it down there?

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 06:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (RobM @ Jan 24 2008, 05:05 PM) *
I live in the Northeast and here it's very fast paced (which I like) with a lot of very rude people who would rather watch you in trouble then go out of their way to help you(which I can't stand), but when I visited GA, SC & NC last year I loved it. My father has moved there and remarried since my mom passed away years ago and loves it to. I've been wanting to move down near my father since our visit last year. Can you fill me in on why you would not like it down there?

It's mostly the southeast. If you go to a place like Chapel Hill (real close to me) or a lot of the bigger cities or college towns in the SE like Atlanta or Charleston etc then it's okay. Its not THAT bad but I was raised in the midwest and I much prefer it. In other words I wouldn't want to live here forever.

[edit] I'll say, Asheville is really nice and I quite like it there. One of those places I could live in.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 25 2008, 06:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2008, 06:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Jan 25 2008, 12:51 AM) *
Am I the only one here that really likes/appreciates his playing? Granted, he's not the most technically gifted guitarist, but I think he's very underrated and I think he's an awesome songwriter. I LOVE his riffs.

Here's a vid for one of my favorite songs, from one of my favorite albums: My Song

You are not the only one... biggrin.gif
Alice in chains style lesson

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 25 2008, 01:02 PM
I love Alice In Chains and Jerry Cantrell. My fav is Bleed the Freak.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Jan 25 2008, 01:22 PM
"dont follow" i think is one of the best songs ive heard

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (RobM @ Jan 25 2008, 12:05 AM) *

For me, it's mostly the mentality and general attitude of the people around here. The vast majority of the "people" are narrow minded, racist, homophobic rednecks. It goes without saying that the state I live in has one of the worst public education records in the entire country, so as a direct result, most of the folks around here are dumb as sticks as well. And then, you have to understand that this is the "Bible Belt". The religious types here are very, VERY different from those in the rest of the country. These folks are Evangelicals and are borderlining on being radicals. These folks are more racist, homophobic and narrow minded than the regular run of the mill rednecks. In short, around here at least, if you're not a white, Christian male, then you're generally treated like a freak of nature. And since I'm 6'4, covered in tattoos, and openly admit that I'm an Atheist, well, let's just say I'm not invited to many social events around here. Granted, I do occasionally run into people who aren't like that at all, and they generally feel the same way I do about this place. So while not everyone is like that around here, the vast majority of folks are. And to make things worse, I have zero tolerance for stupid, narrow minded people. laugh.gif

And then there's the little fact that the majority of the landscape are tiny little towns, where there's NOTHING to do.....Ever. If you want something to do, other than sit around your house ad watch tv, then you have to go to one of the few bigger cities around here. Around here, the biggest city is Greenville, which is located almost directly between Charlotte, NC and Atlanta GA, and compared to either city, it's not very big at all. The town I live in has a grand population of 350 people, and we have 11 churches. All of which are a different sect of the religion. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 25 2008, 12:29 AM) *
You are not the only one... biggrin.gif
Alice in chains style lesson
I don't think I've even had a chance to talk to you yet, man, but that lesson and the vast majority of your lessons have been bookmarked since I signed up. You and Muris are my favorite guitarists here, and your playing style was exactly what I was looking for when I decided to take some more lessons. I was torn between signing up here, or taking some lessons from another instructor locally. I'm quite happy that I decided to sign up here. wink.gif

QUOTE (KloCkWorXx @ Jan 25 2008, 07:22 AM) *
"dont follow" i think is one of the best songs ive heard

Agreed. I love the feel of that song. Even though I can't sing to save my life, I love singing along to that song.

--------------------
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 05:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Jan 25 2008, 04:11 AM) *
For me, it's mostly the mentality and general attitude of the people around here. The vast majority of the "people" are narrow minded, racist, homophobic rednecks. It goes without saying that the state I live in has one of the worst public education records in the entire country, so as a direct result, most of the folks around here are dumb as sticks as well. And then, you have to understand that this is the "Bible Belt". The religious types here are very, VERY different from those in the rest of the country. These folks are Evangelicals and are borderlining on being radicals. These folks are more racist, homophobic and narrow minded than the regular run of the mill rednecks. In short, around here at least, if you're not a white, Christian male, then you're generally treated like a freak of nature. And since I'm 6'4, covered in tattoos, and openly admit that I'm an Atheist, well, let's just say I'm not invited to many social events around here. Granted, I do occasionally run into people who aren't like that at all, and they generally feel the same way I do about this place. So while not everyone is like that around here, the vast majority of folks are. And to make things worse, I have zero tolerance for stupid, narrow minded people. laugh.gif

And then there's the little fact that the majority of the landscape are tiny little towns, where there's NOTHING to do.....Ever. If you want something to do, other than sit around your house ad watch tv, then you have to go to one of the few bigger cities around here. Around here, the biggest city is Greenville, which is located almost directly between Charlotte, NC and Atlanta GA, and compared to either city, it's not very big at all. The town I live in has a grand population of 350 people, and we have 11 churches. All of which are a different sect of the religion. laugh.gif

Yeah I guess I don't have it as bad as you biggrin.gif Chapel hill and durham are kind of a haven I guess, but a lot of NC is the way you describe too. If you venture out of greensboro, raleigh, durham, ashveille and those places then it gets a lot like you describe. What keeps you down there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 25 2008, 11:25 AM) *
Yeah I guess I don't have it as bad as you biggrin.gif Chapel hill and durham are kind of a haven I guess, but a lot of NC is the way you describe too. If you venture out of greensboro, raleigh, durham, ashveille and those places then it gets a lot like you describe. What keeps you down there?

Honestly? My mom. She's the only real family I have left in this state. I mean, I have plenty of family here on my moms side, but they're all religious nutballs like the ones I described, so I don't associate with them. I had a cousin I was very close to, she was more like a sister to me, than anything, but her and her stupid husband ripped me off to the tune of $1100 about a year ago, so I don't associate with them anymore either. And I haven't spoken with anyone from my dads side of the family in about 16 years or so, so it's not like they're holding me back from anything. To be honest, I want to move out of this country, preferably to Canada or France or Denmark, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

--------------------
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 27 2008, 07:23 PM
Instructor
I think he's great, and like you said he isn't the most technical player, but a great songwriter, I love Alice in Chains!

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jan 28 2008, 02:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Jan 27 2008, 03:23 PM) *
I think he's great, and like you said he isn't the most technical player, but a great songwriter, I love Alice in Chains!

I agree!! This guy really rocks!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:14 AM