2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Weightlifting
Robin
Feb 28 2008, 03:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey. All i do is type on my keyboard and play guitar. Thats not good for my arms at all. I need something else to do so i can atleast get some kind of exercise that will help my arms get better, regain some strength.

I thought about weightlifting, so i just wanted to ask if theres anything specific i should be aware of? i guess its warm up, stretch and take breaks, just like guitar. But since i havent touched a weight in one year, im wondering about how long i can lift and how heavy every day?

And if you know any other exercises that are better for what i need, please let me know.

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 28 2008, 03:49 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 28 2008, 04:10 PM
Well... The workout thread ain't good enough for you, eh? wink.gif

Whooh! If somebody deosn't beat me to it I can post you some guidelines ones I have cleared my head(terrible hangover)
Just tell me what are your goals, just strenghtening your self up? And are going to a gym or do you have weights at home?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 28 2008, 04:20 PM
QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 28 2008, 04:10 PM) *
Well... The workout thread ain't good enough for you, eh? wink.gif

Whooh! If somebody deosn't beat me to it I can post you some guidelines ones I have cleared my head(terrible hangover)
Just tell me what are your goals, just strenghtening your self up? And are going to a gym or do you have weights at home?

Oh sorry, i thought the workout thread was more like for workout enthusiasts with routines etc tongue.gif
Really what im asking is how much and how often can i lift without getting injured or anything like that.
but i will check out the workout thread as well.

Last fall i kinda had a injury, so i didnt play guitar for about 3-4 months. It have been fine for a while now, but then i started palying 12 string acoustic last week, its harder to play than a 6 string, so now i started feeling a bit weird in my arms again. I guess i just need to gain a bit strength, i barely used my arm for anything for those 3-4 months when i was injured.

i have some weights at home btw. not going to any gym.

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 28 2008, 04:22 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 28 2008, 04:45 PM
Lets go fishing!
Maybe try some fly fishsing, thats a pretty good workout wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 28 2008, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 28 2008, 04:45 PM) *
Maybe try some fly fishsing, thats a pretty good workout wink.gif laugh.gif

In 14 minus celsius? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 28 2008, 04:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
Give the gym a try, it's not too expensive and with the help of a trainer you can see and feel results within a month.
Next month I'll finish school and will start weightlifting again, three times a week works best for me.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
PolackHax0r
Feb 28 2008, 05:17 PM
It really depends on what you want to get out of it. You wanna get big? Power lift heavy and low reps. You wanna just get in shape? something like 3 sets of one excersice w/ 10 reps each I think is a pretty standard workout. For your arms, you wanna hit up your forearms, bi's and tri's and shoulders. That's generally what I do on arm day. (multiple excersises for each body part...) I agree with Zakk, the gym is where it's at. So many different options at the gym. As far as what weight you should use, how heavy should you go... I have no idea how strong you are. If you're getting back into it, I wouldn't go crazy and try to lift what you could a year ago, take it easy for a few weeks and just get back into your routine. Work it back up again.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 28 2008, 05:40 PM
Eh, I say if you're just doddering around the gym, break it into a 3 day split. Have a major muscle group with a supporting muscle group each day.

Day 1: Chest/Tris
Flyes (easiest to do on a machine, but you can do dumbell flyes too) 3 sets of 12 (higher reps are typically better for tone since they get your heart pumping more than lower reps)
Dumbell Bench 3 of 10
Incline DB Bench 3 of 10
Tricep press down 3 of 10
Overhead DB extensions 3 of 10
Abs

Should take you less than 45 minutes.

maybe take a break for a day, but you could go the next day

Back/Bis
Chin ups or assisted chins(assuming you have one of those machines) 3 of 10
Lat Pull downs 3 of 10
DB row or seated row 3 of 10.
Preacher curls 3 of 10
concentration db curls 3 of 10 ea arm.
Goodmornings/back extensions 3 of 10

definitely take a break and maybe do legs/shoulders or just legs or just shoulders

Hybrid:
Squat/legpress (preferably squat) 3 of 8
Calf raise 3 of 20 (they're really strong, it'll take a bit to get a good burn)
Shoulder DB press 3 of 10
shrugs 3 of 10

Legs only:
Squat 3 of 8
Legpress 3 of 10
leg extensions 3 of 10
leg curls 3 of 10
Calves 3 of 20

Shoulders only:
Standing lateral flyes 3 of 10
seated overhead db press 3 of 10
reverse incline flyes (lay on an inclined bench belly down then do reverse flies) 3 of 10
Front DB raises or Bar Raises 3 of 10
Shrugs 3 of 10
Abs

That's a pretty good schedule keeping it to less than 45 mins a day. If you go to a 4 day split you can do Chest, legs, back shoulders (I do that monday - thursday and take Fri-Sun off except for cardio).

You need to let your muscles recover so the answer is don't do the same thing every day. I highly recommend the Chest/Tris Back/Bis rather than "core" and "arms" some folks like to do because the big movements for your core require the support of your bis/tris. If one is pre-exhausted you'll be cheating yourself in one area or over training. you did core first then arms the next day, you risk over training/pre exhausting your arms. You do arms first then core, your supporting muscle groups will be pre exhausted and they're going to burn out before your target area does.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 28 2008, 05:59 PM
if you wanna get big or strong you need to only work for 45min - 1 hour, not longer! When it comes to lifting you should have a look at MAX - OT. They´ll guide you for free: performance, how many reps and sets and so on.

When you are working try to only have 10 sets per workout. Do 4-8 reps if you want to big and 8-12 if you wanna get strong. And after each set you should rest 3 min if you wanna get big or 1 min if you wanna get strong. My best tip that i really finds useful is when it comes to lifting: Don't put the max weight on the first set - its the first step to failure if u do so.

Let me explain myself:

Lets say you do 150 lbs - bumbell bench

1 set: 120 lbs
2 set:140 lbs
3 set:150lbs

This post has been edited by Martin la guitarra: Feb 28 2008, 06:06 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 28 2008, 06:04 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 28 2008, 03:48 PM) *
In 14 minus celsius? laugh.gif

Ahh yeah good point Robin laugh.gif hehe wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2008, 06:25 PM
Instructor
It is hard enough for me to go on gigs and carry around my gear + amps, drums, PA, racks, stands and all the rest stage gear from the radio to bus, then to stage, then back in 3 in the morning. More weightlifting than that I really don't need. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 28 2008, 06:32 PM
Ok thank you guys. Maybe it was silly of me to make a new topic. Mods maybe move it to the workout thread?

And well, all i want is to get enough strength to play my 12 string again! LOL! but i really need some other exercises as well, im not in good shape anymore. Thanks guys.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 28 2008, 10:06 PM
i want to know how much time i should spend in wieghts to get really strong muscles,

Also, when doing abs (i think thats what you call it), what are some guidelines..? Ive heard that it is bad if you do them on bed, but i dont have any sport cushion or whatever you call it.. Can someone please give some advice..

Thanks

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 29 2008, 12:10 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 28 2008, 10:06 PM) *
i want to know how much time i should spend in wieghts to get really strong muscles,

Also, when doing abs (i think thats what you call it), what are some guidelines..? Ive heard that it is bad if you do them on bed, but i dont have any sport cushion or whatever you call it.. Can someone please give some advice..

Thanks

If you're trying to gain muscle, do your exercises at a moderate pace allowing yourself long enough until you're breathing normally again between sets, be that 30 seconds or 3 minutes.

As for abdominals, slow concentration crunches are about as good as it gets and I'd recommend doing them on the floor and not a bed. A pad would be fine, but perhaps not something as soft as a bed.

I honestly don't think you should be at it if you're just starting for any more than 30 minutes.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 29 2008, 12:28 AM
Also, dont do it every day, muscles need time to recover between workouts - 3 days is usually the recommended time between working certain muscle groups out smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 29 2008, 12:37 AM
^yep, lifting every day is a good way to screw yourself up. It builds up lactic acid in your muscles, I believe.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 29 2008, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Feb 28 2008, 05:10 PM) *
If you're trying to gain muscle, do your exercises at a moderate pace allowing yourself long enough until you're breathing normally again between sets, be that 30 seconds or 3 minutes.

As for abdominals, slow concentration crunches are about as good as it gets and I'd recommend doing them on the floor and not a bed. A pad would be fine, but perhaps not something as soft as a bed.

I honestly don't think you should be at it if you're just starting for any more than 30 minutes.

Ok, thanks

QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 28 2008, 05:37 PM) *
^yep, lifting every day is a good way to screw yourself up. It builds up lactic acid in your muscles, I believe.

Thanks guys.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Mar 1 2008, 06:52 PM
An important aspect to bodybuilding is to identify what body type metobolism you have, are you a

Ectomorph - Thin and find it difficult to put on weight (Fast Metabolism)

Mesmorph - Lean natural musucle and average weight gain (Steady Metabolism)

Endomorph - Round shape and gains weigh easily (Slow Metabolism)

Each type of body requieres differant amounts of nutrients in order to put on weight and ultimatly muscle. Metabolism is how quickly the body uses calories in energy release. So for a 210 pound Mesmorph like me 2500 - 3500 a day is suficiant, meanwhile a ectomorph could need anything up to 6000 calories a day. A good rule of thumb would be 1.5g protein for every pound of body weight so for me 210 x 1.5 is 265g of protein would be enough, 3g of carbs per pound of body weight aswell, This would be a hard gain diet as 630g of carbs is a lot of calories.

I have trained for about 4 months properly after 3 years of half hearted effort. I am 6"4 and when I started training properly I was 13 Stone 2, thats about (184lbs) and now im 15 Stone (210lbs) dead on. If your serious about gaining anything up to 3lbs per week is healthy, expect 1lb of muscle and 2lb of fat. This is important if you want to increase the amount of weight you want to lift... when i started 25 KG per side on the cables for 8 reps was enough, now i can happily do 10 reps for 3 sets with 45 or 50 KG a side, that´s a good improvement for 4 months.

Chose a excerise program, i use a 4 day or 5 split for my workouts, 45 mins to 1 hr maximum a workout, use energy drinks pre and during workuiot, a protein shake post workout for maximum results. Hope this helps, if you want to know anything else PM me!!!!!

Jamesito tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 1 2008, 07:19 PM
Next week starting on my programs.... the famous Single Factor - program.
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_.../Linear_5x5.htm

Has any of you Bodybuilding/powerlifting/just weightlifting guys tried this one out ever, or how does it sound to you?
I've watched as one of my friends grew in strength a lot with this program and now I' giving it a go...

To that metabolism thing.. I think best way would be to keep a food diary for a week or two and be watching the scale, then do the math. Jamesito tells good truths here, YOU HAVE TO BE PROGRESSIVE with weigths in order to get results. Sometimes you may get to a situation where to you some excercise doesn't seem to get any more powerful and at these situations you might wanna try adding a little weight, even if it would cost you with technique. that has helped me many times, of course with excersices like deadlift, which is hard for your back you have to think twice before doing that...

And everyone is an individual not all programs that work for "this guy you know" would work on you, necessary.
I hope you can understand my rambling... wink.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Jamesito
Mar 2 2008, 12:36 AM
QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Mar 1 2008, 06:19 PM) *
Next week starting on my programs.... the famous Single Factor - program.
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_.../Linear_5x5.htm

Has any of you Bodybuilding/powerlifting/just weightlifting guys tried this one out ever, or how does it sound to you?
I've watched as one of my friends grew in strength a lot with this program and now I' giving it a go...

To that metabolism thing.. I think best way would be to keep a food diary for a week or two and be watching the scale, then do the math. Jamesito tells good truths here, YOU HAVE TO BE PROGRESSIVE with weigths in order to get results. Sometimes you may get to a situation where to you some excercise doesn't seem to get any more powerful and at these situations you might wanna try adding a little weight, even if it would cost you with technique. that has helped me many times, of course with excersices like deadlift, which is hard for your back you have to think twice before doing that...

And everyone is an individual not all programs that work for "this guy you know" would work on you, necessary.
I hope you can understand my rambling... wink.gif

I have read the program and it seems sound enough my friend although it depends on your bodysize, if you have been training for a year or two and can preform most exercises properly, by all means try this regime, it looks great! smile.gif just remember if your doing 5 reps, you have to go in Hard and be intensive in your workouts, one set - 2 mins rest - next set and repeat. Use high energy foods before your workout to keep your energy high.

Very importantly if your going to lift heavy, have a spotter help you, with big weights you will almost be pushing to total failure, so be careful. Next aspect, you want to use auxilery movements, these are movements that use a specific muscle group but also balencing and supporting muscles. these include, Deadlift, Squats, Bench press, Shrugs, Arnold shoulder press... this will help you avoid only toning a specific muscle and will promote better overall growth.

Finally access your nutritional needs before you start the regime, what I mentioned in the other post is a good rule of thumb for gaining weight, just eat and eat! Get a good breakfast, that is the key to a good training day and atleast 8 hours sleep a night, as your muscles will need time to repair themselves.

I wish you good luck with your training, let me know how you get on! hopefully you should see some results in a few months.

Jamesito biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:34 PM