Drowned Out Strings
IntoxyDachsy
Aug 7 2008, 10:12 PM
GMC:er
I recently put down the acoustic to start playing some of the classical pieces I know on my electric and noticed that the B and high E string are drowned out by every other string all the time, and they barely hold any distortion at all... Is this normal on an electric guitar, or perhaps are my pick ups shot ? Im not sure what the problem is ^^;

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 7 2008, 10:23 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
What do you mean by drowned up ? You mean that your B and E strings lack sustain (holding the note) in comparison to other strings ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 7 2008, 11:23 PM) *
What do you mean by drowned up ? You mean that your B and E strings lack sustain (holding the note) in comparison to other strings ?

I think that is what he means, yes.

Are the strings new or old?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 7 2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe you should take the guitar for a setup (action and pickups adjustments should do it)...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 7 2008, 10:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Bogdan is right. It may be due to some minor fret buzzing also. You experience any of that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 7 2008, 10:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
My guess is that the strings are old and dirty.

I suggest you change into new strings and while you're at it you also clean the fretboard thourougly. When it's clean and the frets are rubbed with 0-woll you should oil it. Paraffine oil works well for me but I don' tknow anyone else who uses it so... You can buy lemon cleaner or use pure lemon juice.

That takes care of that part. I don't think it would burt if you dare to clean up the brige at the same time.

EDIT: COuld also be that the distance from the B and E string is too far from the pickup. Check if it's leaning. Or just try to raise it to find if it sounds better (there's a screw somewhere beside it for adjusting the height)

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 7 2008, 10:36 PM

+Quote Post
IntoxyDachsy
Aug 7 2008, 10:38 PM
Not sure if its the sustain... its just that theyre barely audible... they are old and do need replacing though... Ill pick up new strings this pay period ^^

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 7 2008, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (IntoxyDachsy @ Aug 7 2008, 11:38 PM) *
Not sure if its the sustain... its just that theyre barely audible... they are old and do need replacing though... Ill pick up new strings this pay period ^^

Oh if they are old that is mostly the cause then...When you replace them see if you have same problems..If you do maybe you want to lower them (or raise) from the pickup for better sound.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 7 2008, 10:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
IntoxyDachsy
Aug 7 2008, 10:53 PM
Thank you all for the help ^^

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (IntoxyDachsy @ Aug 7 2008, 11:53 PM) *

Glad to help, that's what we're here to.

GMC = Gear mechanic care! laugh.gif We're here to help you take care of your guitar! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 7 2008, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (IntoxyDachsy @ Aug 7 2008, 11:53 PM) *

We are all here to help you , just post ANY questions you have about anything smile.gif This is a great community with all the answers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2008, 01:12 AM
Instructor
+1

strings loose their brightness in time and after a while you get a muddy bassy sound. CHange them and tell us how it went mate. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:36 PM