Pod Studio Gx
TeoWulf
Nov 23 2012, 03:06 PM
GMC:er
Hi, guys!

I plan to get this soundcard, and I would like to know if I can plug my amp in it(it has only a guitar input)?

Teo

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
PosterBoy
Nov 23 2012, 03:12 PM
Learning Roadie
It does seem like it was just designed for guitar input and to use Pod Farm for amp modelling

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Nov 23 2012, 03:20 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 23 2012, 03:12 PM) *
It does seem like it was just designed for guitar input and to use Pod Farm for amp modelling

I know, but, in the future I may have a tube amp that sounds better than the modelled ones, and thats why I want to know it.
Thanks for your reply anway biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
korblitz
Nov 23 2012, 05:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Why would you want to plug directly the Pod Gx into the amp?

If you are going to record an amp, why not mic it? Have you consider buying a mixer?

There are a lot of thread on sound recording. Check Todd's posts.

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Nov 23 2012, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (korblitz @ Nov 23 2012, 05:56 PM) *
Why would you want to plug directly the Pod Gx into the amp?

If you are going to record an amp, why not mic it? Have you consider buying a mixer?

There are a lot of thread on sound recording. Check Todd's posts.

The money, my friend, the money biggrin.gif
Seriously, I'm so broken down, I cannot even pay attention laugh.gif
I spent all my money on gear for the last 14 months, and my setup is like this
Medium-priced, but awsome guitar/DBZ Cavallo/--->Boss DS-1--->Roland MicroCube
And a future Pod Gx...

Thanks for your reply though, stay awesome smile.gif

Teo

This post has been edited by TeoWulf: Nov 23 2012, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 23 2012, 11:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi there - what kind of output do you have on your amp?

If you have DI OUT or Line out (Recording Out), you should probably be able to connect it.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
korblitz
Nov 23 2012, 11:16 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 23 2012, 11:15 PM) *
Hi there - what kind of output do you have on your amp?

If you have DI OUT or Line out (Recording Out), you should probably be able to connect it.

He said he has a Micro Cube..so yeah, he has a recording out.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 23 2012, 11:34 PM
QUOTE (korblitz @ Nov 23 2012, 11:16 PM) *
He said he has a Micro Cube..so yeah, he has a recording out.

Then he should be able to use that for connecting the amp with POD.
Not sure if the results will be as good as using software amp emulation but it should work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Nov 23 2012, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 23 2012, 11:34 PM) *
Then he should be able to use that for connecting the amp with POD.
Not sure if the results will be as good as using software amp emulation but it should work.

So I can plug line level signal into the guitar input?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 24 2012, 12:13 AM
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Nov 23 2012, 11:56 PM) *
So I can plug line level signal into the guitar input?

I'm not sure about POD GX, but I think the same input on it accepts Mic connection too.
Line level signal might be too hot for it though (do you have a volume pot for the DI/Recording out?) but you should be able to connect it if you really want to (not ideal connection though).

Maybe look into its big brother - POD Studio UX1, it has a dedicated line in port.

All in all - I think in any situation, you will get better sound from software modeling (POD Farm that is built in or 3rd party like Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc) then using amps DI out (no matter how good the amp is).

More natural result might only come from using a mic in front of the amp but in practice that is really hard to do and in those cases software modeling wins again (in most situations).

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Nov 24 2012, 09:38 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 24 2012, 12:13 AM) *
I'm not sure about POD GX, but I think the same input on it accepts Mic connection too.
Line level signal might be too hot for it though (do you have a volume pot for the DI/Recording out?) but you should be able to connect it if you really want to (not ideal connection though).

Maybe look into its big brother - POD Studio UX1, it has a dedicated line in port.

All in all - I think in any situation, you will get better sound from software modeling (POD Farm that is built in or 3rd party like Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc) then using amps DI out (no matter how good the amp is).

More natural result might only come from using a mic in front of the amp but in practice that is really hard to do and in those cases software modeling wins again (in most situations).

Thanks for the help Bogdan! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2012, 01:42 AM

USING THE ROLAND CUBE:

It's got a line out, but if you are using the GX, you've got POD FARM. SKip the AMP entirely. And just use Pod Farm smile.gif It will sound much better IMHO.
You "Can' plug A Nice Tube Amp in like that for recording. YOU JUST SHOULDN"T!! smile.gif

RECORDING A TUBE AMP ( Just in case)

If you want to record A nice tube amp, and don't want it to sound really crappy. You'll need to get a decent microphone and mic your amp. You can then run the mic cable in to your GX with a converter. (XLR to 1/4inch) and record that signal.

If you come out of the linen out or something, and in to your GX. Total Crap.

Todd

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Nov 23 2012, 09:20 AM) *
I know, but, in the future I may have a tube amp that sounds better than the modelled ones, and thats why I want to know it.
Thanks for your reply anway biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 30 2012, 02:31 AM

+Quote Post
Blister
Nov 28 2012, 02:40 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 27 2012, 07:42 PM) *
Short answer is NO!!!!!! Sadly. You "Can' plug your Nice Tube Amp in like that for recording. YOU JUST SHOULDN"T!! smile.gif

If you want to record your nice tube amp, and don't want it to sound really crappy. You'll need to get a decent microphone and mic your amp. You can then run the mic cable in to your GX with a converter. (XLR to 1/4inch) and record that signal.

If you come out of the linen out or something, and in to your GX. Total Crap.

Todd

Todd, I am just curious if there is any sound/signal loss when using a converter? When picking out an interface, I went with the UX1, a step up from the GX because it had separate xlr & 1/4" inputs in case I decided to record a mic'ed amp or acoustic. I've also heard warnings about plugging a powered signal from an amp directly into a computer sound card.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 30 2012, 02:27 AM
Depends on various factors to be honest. But it starts out with what you trying to accomplish.

RECORDING DIRECT/CLEAN/NO AMP

If you want to record direct, clean, and use plugins, even the cheapest interface will get you started and you can get some great tones. Since you are adding wads of distortion/gain typically, it's easy to mask some issues created by not using a $1,200 interface. For vocals, strings, it would be more obvious, IMHO, but for recording clean guitar in to your computer, to be honest, I"ve gotten great tones out of really really really cheap interfaces like the FIREWIRE SOLO (which I still have).

RECORDING YOUR AMP WITH A MICROPHONE IN TO YOUR INTERFACE

As above, I"ve used really cheap interfaces (like the FIREWIRE SOLO) and still gotten great tones. When using a interface with a nice Mic Preamp built in, or a really nice external preamp, etc. You can get a "warmer" fuller sound. But again, to get started recording and practice mic placement, levels, EQ, pretty much any interface will do ya. You'll keep upgrading as you go and outgrow you gear. That's just part of the process smile.gif

**NEVER come out of the SPEAKER OUT of your head/amp in to your interface/computer.
***NEVER use the LINE OUT of your amp/speaker to record distorted/gain sounds. Unless you want it to sound like crap smile.gif
**** "IF" you have an amp with a "Speaker Simulator" built in, then that's a different story. It fakes the cabinet and you can use the speaker sim output to record. But that's only relevant on heads/amps with speaker sims built in.

Make sense?

Todd

Todd

QUOTE (Blister @ Nov 27 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Todd, I am just curious if there is any sound/signal loss when using a converter? When picking out an interface, I went with the UX1, a step up from the GX because it had separate xlr & 1/4" inputs in case I decided to record a mic'ed amp or acoustic. I've also heard warnings about plugging a powered signal from an amp directly into a computer sound card.

+Quote Post
Blister
Dec 3 2012, 02:09 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 29 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Make sense?

Todd

Yes, that helps alot! Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:35 AM